Landscaping in place of fence for dog.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:15 PM
Default Landscaping in place of fence for dog.

We plan to move soon, I would like some ideas on landscaping to contain my dog since fences are frowned upon.

I'm thinking ornamental grass or thick hedges. I'm looking for advice on what others have done. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,282 Times in 2,294 Posts

OP, after you get advice on types of plants, be sure you contact ARC about your plans, landscaping generally requires their approval. You should also get your new house plot (plat) plans to see if there are any specific restrictions for example our backyuard has a 20 foot easement (no permenant structures, and very limited landscaping).
Old 04-30-2024, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

invisible fence?
Best Invisible Dog Fences 2024
Old 04-30-2024, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,231 Times in 2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post
We plan to move soon, I would like some ideas on landscaping to contain my dog since fences are frowned upon.

I'm thinking ornamental grass or thick hedges. I'm looking for advice on what others have done. Thanks in advance.
Podocarpus hedges would work, plus they would give you some nice privacy. Good for you for not considering an electric fence. Shocking your poor dog is definitely not the way to go.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:31 AM

Podocarpus would work. BUT to be effective at dog level would need to be VERY close together.
If you have a year or 2 to wait, I would plant 3G @18" centers.
I have done 7g and ran chicken wire around the inside that was almost impossible to see (if no one sees it, the "fence" won't bother anyone.

Elaeagnus grows faster and would be a much denser and better fence, but need quite a bit more width than podocarpus.

The problem w/ grasses (Lemon, Muhly, Pampas etc.) is the grass will not fill in between at ground level, and needs/wants a bit of space between. Most dogs will easily navigate at ground level through grass that is almost impenetrable to a human.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 AM

Do you plan to leave your dog in your yard unsupervised?
Old 05-01-2024, 07:38 AM

Fences are not "frowned upon." That wording seems to convey that they might be allowed. Sorry but that is not accurate.

A fence can only be put up by the builder, when house is built, before it gets sold. If there is a fence there, and gets removed at some point, then left that way for months, then 99% sure you will not get ARC permission to put another one back up.

Landscaping could work, but approval by ARC might be difficult, or not allowed. Might have significant distance setbacks from property lines. Getting through it to cut the crab grass would be a problem since there is no gate.

There are several home types that have back yards either fenced, or combination of walls plus a fence. If you want that feature, buy the house like that.

There are some houses that the back faces a water retention pond. Of the houses with side fences, some also have a back fence, some do not. Alligators are in every pond, and like eating dogs. A fence does not always stop an alligator. If they want to get through it, they can. Although that is rare. No fence + dog + pond = stupidity
Old 05-01-2024, 07:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,642 Times in 961 Posts

Don’t plan to leave dog out alone - predators can also get onto your yard.

My suggestion is a birdcage. If you want it for pet, add a turf area and irrigation to rinse it off daily.
Dog is safe and predators can’t get in. Also, better options for shade in the hot FLA sun.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

Light leash and running line the length of the yard.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPRICE1234 View Post

Get a courtyard villa ( all have private fenced yards) or some of the verandas also have fences. They’re not frowned upon if you buy a home that comes with one.

Tags
landscaping, dog, thick, thinking, ornamental

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.