Landscaping Talk

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Sage
Default Landscaping Talk

There are many landscapers on TOTV and they are asking their customers to give reviews on this site. Some are giving descriptions and some are able to post pictures.

While a lot of you would like to think they are competing with each other... many of them are in fact friends and give each other a hand.

So... when you are viewing these pictures (all of them beautiful), try to understand each landscaper has his/her own style as well as the customer. Also remember as one poster states "things grow fast in Florida". If something looks "sparse" give it a year and it will look like a jungle.

Look at the pictures and get an idea of the style that you like... no need to be critical of the landscaper or the customer's choice. We each have our own style... We all like different things. There is no right or wrong. Only that we be happy in our own choices.

From what I know... The landscapers advertising on TOTV are the top landscapers in The Villages. While there will be person here or there who does not like a particular landscaper... For the most part they have been around for awhile and do most of the work in The Villages and do a great job.

It's good to see all the positive comments and the shared pictures of landscaping that has gone well....
Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM

I must agree, it's kind of funny reading what people post about the landscape projects. There remarks, just make me chuckle, people making comments about landscape projects. Remember, it is my job as a landscape designer, to guide people with there plant and tree choices they make with there landscape projects. It is there home and there money and they are intitled to have what they want. Like "Queen Palms" for instance, we are a little to far north here in Florida to really be safe with them from a hard freeze ( I posted an article about that a month or so ago ) and I tell my customers that, but if that is what they like, and they are willing to roll the dice and take a chance with them, then so be it, that's what they like and want. I have them in front of my house here in The Villages also because I like them. But I think it's wrong when a landscaper just tells people what they want them to hear just to get there work. (That is just wrong) I am also a big fan of less is more when doing a landscape design, remember the growing season here is 11-months out of the year. It may look a little sparse to begin with, but just be patient, it will look fine if designed right. There are a lot of looks when it comes to a landscape design, and everyone is different and intitled to what they want, so I must agree, don't be so critical with there project, maybe that's what the customer wanted.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Sage
Default Thanks Ron!

Thanks Ron!

As you know I post for Mansfield... I would go on, in the past when picture were posted of other landscapers, and compliment on how nice the landscaping was! Posters became angry over this. I wrote them a PM message and this is what it said...

"Mansfield is responding to the post for the GOOD landscapers to support them. There is enough work for all of them! They need to support each other to drive the BAD landscapers out. I am confused as to why that would upset anyone! Not to say that Mansfield is better! KGL, Jamie, Ron's Landscaping, Village Palms and a couple others are the TOP landscapers in The Villages. Hard working and honest! They need to not compete and tear each other down but to promote each other"

Having promoted Mansfield for as long as I have, I can say honestly Steve Mansfield has had nothing but good to say about these landscapers!

The point is... While I understand we are all loyal to our own landscapers... Not one of them can do ALL the work that needs to be done in The Villages. We need to promote each other! We need to see that people don't get taken by the bad landscapers!

Thanks for posting! You do GREAT work! Hopefully... we can come on and promote each other without someone thinking we have something up our sleeves!
Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Smile Know your Landscaper

We too support the established Good Landscape Professionals that have been in the Villages for years and not just days. Or the "truck and trailer, fly by night company's that pop up here on a daily basis selling diseased Palm trees off the back of their truck. These are the companys that are taking advantage of the homeowners and you never hear from them when there is a problem. Or they under bid your project and have no intention of returning once you have paid them. In order to be a good designer you must have the plant knowledge as well as the field experience (the type of soil, the size the plant will be when mature, its growth habits and light requirements, etc.) to complete the install from the beginning of the project through to the end. We take pride in our work and care about what we do. Our greatest sense of fulfillment comes when we drive by our properties from years ago and see how they look and that the homeowner is still enjoying their landscape now that most of it has filled in and some are fully matured. We are also supporters of the plant clinic and have spoken with Mr. Singleton many times. We just want people to do their research and be happy with their choices.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Sage

I heard that some landscapers don't bother to get ARC approval before beginning an install.

Isn't that a requirement throughout the villages?

If so do you folks who posted here do it or not?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I heard that some landscapers don't bother to get ARC approval before beginning an install.

Isn't that a requirement throughout the villages?

If so do you folks who posted here do it or not?
Inquiring minds want to know.....
Old 03-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Sage
Lightbulb

I called ARC yesterday an application is required with a site plan & sketch of what landscaping improvements you intend to do.

They are critical of front & rear setbacks.

They said failure to obtain ARC approval may result in requiring removal of plants and hardscapes.

Well that's interesting, "the established Good Landscape Professionals" posting in this thread - 3 landscapers (Ron's, KGL & Mansfield)
have not responded to weather or not they get ARC approval.

Did you or your landscaper get the ARC approval for work performed?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
I called ARC yesterday an application is required with a site plan & sketch of what landscaping improvements you intend to do. Did you or your landscaper get the ARC approval for work performed? .
Terrascape on CR 301 did our landscaping. They are very professional and obtained ARC approval prior to beginning the work.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
It is likely they get approval without telling you "oh btw, I got the approval."
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Sage

I didn't think ARC approval was needed for backyard and all the landscapers know the required setbacks.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Sage

Setbacks R may be different in each unit.

the backyard I don't believe is exempt.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I didn't think ARC approval was needed for backyard and all the landscapers know the required setbacks.
Just got back from picking up my ARC approvals.

I asked Harold there about your question.

Approval is needed for all plantings, hardscapes including berms. the exception is very minor plantings.

you can not plant or remove turf in the front or rear right of ways approximately 10 -13 feet. A few exceptions are in your C&R like patio villas for instance.

If anyone complains you not your landscaper is responsible for removing it or relocating it.

He said at that same you will be required to file all applications for landscaping.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Dancing Thyme

When I first moved here, 2008, my landscaper required I give her a copy of the plot map, which I did, although she said all the landscapers knew the rules of how far back we need to go from the front curb and she did tell me she got ARC approval. I have nothing to prove that and we can't contact her as she is in the slammer.

When Mansfield redid the front of my house, he stayed within what was previously done, so he didn't need approval but my understanding was he also was aware of the general rules. If my memory serves me correctly, I understood back then that you only needed ARC approval if you were planning something beyond the normal rules of the ARC. I could be wrong about this, but its from my memory at that time.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Sage

Spoke with Ron (Ron's landscaping) today about some backyard work. He said as a courtesy to his customers he gets ARC approval. If you are working within an established bed there is more leeway, but new beds and plantings need approval.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM

Of coarse I get ARC approval, I posted a long article about what to look for in a landscape designer a week or so ago, and it is mentioned in there in BOLD LETTERS I just wish others would do the same. Very few landscapers do get approval, even if they say they did get it for you, make sure you see a copy. The ARC board will sign off on it, and it will be stamped approved and dated. If you do not get a copy mailed to you, or given to you from the landscaper they did not do it for you. I see it all the time from people having work done. In fact 6-years ago we did 3-houses over in Mallory Hill because of no approval from ARC. The people told us there landscaper never even mentioned it to them. They had to redo there entire front yards because they were out of compliance with set back and other things. These home owners contacted us because there freinds told them of us, we had to rip it all out and start over. What should have been a 6 or 7 thousand dollar job per house turned out to be much more because of people just taking the landsapers word for it. It happens every day here, and there is nothing the home owner can do about it unfortunately. Like I said in that article, a real landscape company will do that for you, not just tell you what you want to hear. I don't have time to surf this site all the time, because I am running a business, I post articles once in a while to try to help the home owners here, I am a home owner here myself, but if people are going to start to question me by bringing up my name in there post in regards to negative comments when I am trying to help them the consumer I WILL stop this as fast as I started it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.