Lantana Camara.

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2023, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts
Question Lantana Camara.

Lantana camara - Wikipedia

One of these huge bushes invaded my backyard and I have been chopping and cutting the thing but once it looks like I am done I see another layer of it. Some of it is dead but it seems to use this dead stuff as a wall. Mother Nature sure is clever.

Anyone have experience dealing with the plant?

I have no idea where it came from. We never planted it.

It kind of set up a fortress protecting its root area.

The sap is a little toxic but quite smelly.

I do think this is the right ID for the plant.

Invasion of the Landscape Snatchers: Lantana (Lantana camara) -

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-23-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Have you tried some of the commercial plant killers? You can contact Master gardener and they should be able to tell you specifically how to get rid of the plant.

Here is their website:
Florida Master Gardener Program - Solutions for Your Life - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences - UF/IFAS
Old 10-23-2023, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Have you tried some of the commercial plant killers? You can contact Master gardener and they should be able to tell you specifically how to get rid of the plant.

Here is their website:
Florida Master Gardener Program - Solutions for Your Life - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences - UF/IFAS
Thanks.

Right now I am just trying to cut down the parts with hanging fruit of any kind. Or knock them down.

It was a very large entangled mess when I started. It was to the roof (maybe 9 feet) and then about 6 feet across and pushing into the trees that had been planted when the house went up.

It was not there a few years ago. Its growth has been over the past two years or so.

It is probably some mis-identified lantana sold somewhere in or near the Villages.

It does look like I will have to kill the root which could be massive.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-23-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:42 AM

If the root is that massive, there are two approaches ;

I’d get a drill with a large bit and drill numerous holes into the trunk/rootball. Once drilled pour undiluted (commercial strength if you can find it) Round up into those freshly drilled holes. Or, you can cut numerous branches and using a paint brush “paint” Round up on those freshly cut stumps.

The plant will then circulate that chemical in its vascular system.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:13 AM

Spray it with roundup. You need to kill the entire plant all the way to the roots. Pruning it back is not effective control.

When controlling weeds, it's important to kill the plant and roots before pulling out the above ground part. Pulling out a live weed leaves lots of broken off roots in the soil, and every root can grow back as its own new weed in a few weeks.
What happens when hiring a company to get rid of weeds? If they charge a per visit rate, they just pull the weeds out - looks great but also guarantees them lots of income from many repeat visits. If they charge a yearly flat rate, then they use roundup first to minimize their time needed in the future - still looks great, but for much longer.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
Spray it with roundup. You need to kill the entire plant all the way to the roots. Pruning it back is not effective control.

When controlling weeds, it's important to kill the plant and roots before pulling out the above ground part. Pulling out a live weed leaves lots of broken off roots in the soil, and every root can grow back as its own new weed in a few weeks.
What happens when hiring a company to get rid of weeds? If they charge a per visit rate, they just pull the weeds out - looks great but also guarantees them lots of income from many repeat visits. If they charge a yearly flat rate, then they use roundup first to minimize their time needed in the future - still looks great, but for much longer.
Thanks. I have almost all the berry bearing branches out and now will need to work on the various dead branches protecting the inside of this massive weed. The Villages garbage guys got most of it in numerous bags I put out last night which I had put extra covering on. Thankfully I believe they burn all that which is what often happens with lantana camara.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:39 AM

That is our native Lantana. Buried my neighbor's cow last year when it died from eating it. Awesome butterfly bush.

I suggest you Preen the area (now and in the spring) to kill the seeds, they are pretty small.
Old 10-25-2023, 06:02 AM

Lantana grow wild in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

One of these huge bushes invaded my backyard and I have been chopping and cutting the thing but once it looks like I am done I see another layer of it. Some of it is dead but it seems to use this dead stuff as a wall. Mother Nature sure is clever.

Old 10-25-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage

Is there lantana in the Philippines? – Wise-Answer.

Fart. Not that but for the smell of lantana camara.

It is a world wide problem.

Quote:
English: Flowers of the Lantana camara. Locally known in the Philippines as koronitas (English ‘coronet’) and a variety of common names referring to its pungent odor – utot-utot and kantutay (literally ‘fart’), baho-baho (‘smelly’).
Old 10-25-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Is there lantana in the Philippines? – Wise-Answer.

Fart. Not that but for the smell of lantana camara.

It is a world wide problem.
https://youtu.be/W9zUSQbPu9g

It is a big problem in parts of Australia.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:18 AM
Sage

Lantana

This has some very good pictures of lantana camara if you need to identify it.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:

For what it's worth - there is a Lantana, FL north of Ft. Lauderdale. I guess that a small town wanted to name itself after a toxic weed. As far as never being planted - seeds blow in and also birds transport them. I find that Golden Rain trees are like nasty medium-sized weeds that blow in anywhere and establish themselves right in among your ornamentals or hedges.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:30 AM
Sage
Default Hawaiin pictures of Lantana Camara.

Lantana camara - Plants of Hawaii - Starr Environmental

I hope these help if this shows up more here in the Villages and around it.

https://wildlifeofhawaii.com/flowers...amara-lantana/
Old 10-26-2023, 09:39 PM

Hmm… we purposely planted Lantana in our backyard landscape because it attracts butterflies, but not bees. We love it! Ours are small plants though. Very short and clustered together, not tall and spreading everywhere. The butterfly gardens in the villages purposely plants them too. I’ve never seen invasive lantana, not even in SoCal where we had it in our backyard. In fact, we struggled to get it to grow into a decent looking bush in California.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana2Teddy View Post
Hmm… we purposely planted Lantana in our backyard landscape because it attracts butterflies, but not bees. We love it! Ours are small plants though. Very short and clustered together, not tall and spreading everywhere. The butterfly gardens in the villages purposely plants them too. I’ve never seen invasive lantana, not even in SoCal where we had it in our backyard. In fact, we struggled to get it to grow into a decent looking bush in California.
There are different kinds of lantana.

ScienceDirect

Quote:
Lantana camara and several related species (L. indica, L. crenulato, L. trifolia, L. lilacina, L. involuerata, and L. sellowiance) are toxic ornamental shrubs. They are originally from tropical America, but have spread through many of the tropical and subtropical locations of the world. Its weedy nature and subsequent potential to poison livestock are exacerbated by its highly allelopathic nature that reduces alternative forage. Consequently, Lantana has dominated many plant communities. For example, in Fiji it is an aggressive weed that dominates nearly 50% of the available grazing land. Lantana infestations have been described in Australia, Asia, Africa, South America, North America, and many of the Caribbean and South Pacific islands. In grazing animals, Lantana-induced hepatotoxicity can cause high morbidity and mortality. Fatal poisoning has been reported in children ingesting green Lantana berries.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-27-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
plant, toxic, protecting, planted, kind

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.