Lawn Care

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Default Lawn Care

I have had four lawn care companies. I have re-sodded my lawn four times, re=done my sprinkler system three times. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this problem. I don't think there is any on in or near The Villages that can correct this. I hope someone on this site can help.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew6742 View Post
I have had four lawn care companies. I have re-sodded my lawn four times, re=done my sprinkler system three times. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix the problem. Has anyone else had this problem. I don't think there is any on in or near The Villages that can correct this. I hope someone on this site can help.
It would help if you could describe what the problem is. Why "re-do" the sprinkler system 3x? Also most top lawn care companies go to the same seminars, use essentially the same materials and techniques, so the most common reason to change would be poor service, not poor results.
Do you live south of 466A? If so, there is a known pH problem. Empire zoysia likes a pH of about 6.2, there are areas down here that have pHs over 8. Also soil compaction can be a major issue. Do you have a lot of weeds? Brown areas?
I have one of the worst lawns on my block, have been working to improve it for over a year. There is a gentleman named Lloyd Singleton (352-689-4671) who is the Univ of Fl agricultural liason to TV, he may be able to help. Is this a new home? If so, did you talk to home warranty?
I have had the lawn core aerated and top dressed in April and just last week---starting to improve. I also had an independent consultant check the sprinkler system and computer and make sure there were no leaks. I did speak with the owner of the construction co that built the house, as well as the owner of the lawn co, and the head of home warranty---the lawn co was the most helpful, committed to improving the lawn, the others just wanted to blame the lawn service, so I don't hold out a lot of hope there.
Hope this gives you a start, I know how frustrating it is to have a beautiful house and a crappy lawn
Old 08-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Platinum member

I've been pleased with all the lawn services provided to me by Massey Services.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

I have tried all companies..
started maintaining my own lawn. Zoysia,,,
Got some fungus in it along with bad case of the Mole Cricketts.

We ended up hooking up with Heron Lawn. Never looked better, fungus is gone, weeds are dying, Mole Crickets laying on the sidewalk gasping for air. Zoysia once again growing.
Very Happy with the outcome and the service.

Not sure why you had Irrigation replaced 3 times. No need for that unless it did not work, or had someone try to fix it and messed it up.
It is all about knowing what the actual problem with the lawn is.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Platinum member

As a previous poster said connect with the U of F ag. Person. He will be able to help you. Your lawn sevice if more than a blow and go should be licensed to spray fungicide and pesticides for lawn pest. Most companies use the same basic set of chemicals. If they know how to use them properly.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:52 PM

I have been in this house 12 years and have been trying to have a nice lawn, everyone that services my lawn blames me three of the companies I had said I needed to re-work my irrigation system. The Lawn Care Companies blame me for the grass not growing and for the weeds, I told them I was paying them to take care of my yard. The company I had treated for mole crickets last year as part of service this year they want extra. Then i was told I don't have mole crickets. I even changed to walk behind mowers and pay more for that. I'm ready to cover my lawn with gravel. Most companies that Ive had get tired of trying and tell me to get another service.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM

Company rep told me they will re-sod part of my front yard small portion about a 150 square feet Zoysia and he said they will only charge $500. don't know when or if it will solve problem. He even told me I should rip up whole lawn and re-sod with another type of grass.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Sage
Default Lawn Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryW View Post
I have tried all companies..

started maintaining my own lawn. Zoysia,,,

Got some fungus in it along with bad case of the Mole Cricketts.

We ended up hooking up with Heron Lawn. Never looked better, fungus is gone, weeds are dying, Mole Crickets laying on the sidewalk gasping for air. Zoysia once again growing.

Very Happy with the outcome and the service.

Not sure why you had Irrigation replaced 3 times. No need for that unless it did not work, or had someone try to fix it and messed it up.

It is all about knowing what the actual problem with the lawn is.

Having lived here just 3+ years at this point, I now have a lawn I can be proud of. We had mole crickets- Deans took care of them. Biggest problem turned out to be the sod laid over sand...as is the case for almost all homes south of 466A - Deans developed a program to fix the pH and lack of nutrients in the soil. And I cannot overstate the importance of sufficient watering. We have a corner lot which requires more water than the typical lawn.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This sounds very strange to me...resodding FOUR times? The Zoysia requires water and the proper nutrients and like others have said ...go to the folks who are at the Sheriff's office on 466, they have an extension service there from University of Florida.

You may have a good watering system, but you have to turn it on.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This sounds very strange to me...resodding FOUR times? The Zoysia requires water and the proper nutrients and like others have said ...go to the folks who are at the Sheriff's office on 466, they have an extension service there from University of Florida.

You may have a good watering system, but you have to turn it on.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, problem, times, care, sprinkler, villages, site, hope, re=done, correct, dollars, spent, thousands, fix, re-sodded, system, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.