Lawn Looks Terrible - Help Needed!!

Old 11-11-2023, 06:51 AM
Default Lawn Looks Terrible - Help Needed!!

Hi all. The front lawn consisting of St Augustine grass at our villa looks terrible and also has weeds. We water regularly and pay for treatment every other month from a company called zoysia green (obviously not happy with their service)….

In short, I am considering having all grass torn out, fresh soil added and then either seed or sod put down. I would be interested in hearing any and all suggestions from those who have done the same or similar. Also interested to learn if there is a particular time of year that is suggested for best results.

Any recommendations for trustworthy landscapers to do this job will also be appreciated. I love the Villages and want to make my lawn look great and think I need to start my lawn over! Thx in advance
Old 11-11-2023, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm55 View Post
Hi all. The front lawn consisting of St Augustine grass at our villa looks terrible and also has weeds.
Replace it with ground cover such as Asian Jasmine.

Very low maintenance and green all year round.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post

Don’t you need ARC approval for that?
Old 11-11-2023, 07:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,320 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:

Article on Asian Jasmine.

Asian Jasmine an excellent ground cover | Real Estate | chronicleonline.com
Old 11-11-2023, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Hi all. The front lawn consisting of St Augustine grass at our villa looks terrible and also has weeds. We water regularly and pay for treatment every other month from a company called zoysia green (obviously not happy with their service)….

In short, I am considering having all grass torn out, fresh soil added and then either seed or sod put down. I would be interested in hearing any and all suggestions from those who have done the same or similar. Also interested to learn if there is a particular time of year that is suggested for best results.

Any recommendations for trustworthy landscapers to do this job will also be appreciated. I love the Villages and want to make my lawn look great and think I need to start my lawn over! Thx in advance
I wouldn't go so far as to tear out the grass. When we moved here in 2020 our lawn (St. Augustine Grass) had obviously been neglected: it looked horrible. More bare spots than grass, and most of the grass was interspersed with weeds. I hired a yard guy to cut it: his advice was that resodding was unnecessary: that the current grass would send out runners to the bare spots and in time the lawn would look great. It did, but not without a lot of TLC for the first year. He also advised getting a good weed and pest control service, which I did: Florida Pest Control. They're not the cheapest game in town but in my opinion one of the most conscientious. They're there when they say they'll be there and do what they say they're going to do. A bit over three years later and my lawn is one of the two or three best on our street.

Resodding is expensive. Patience isn't. Get a GOOD company to curb the weeds and pests, water conscientiously, and in time your lawn should be fine.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Don’t you need ARC approval for that?
Always worth checking with ARC, but when we asked (eight years ago) they were very keen for us to do it, and it is what The Villages uses a lot around trees etc.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Fertigator. they were recommended by another member here, & i'm beyond pleased. i prepaid the year, & these guys come out, spend lots of time & do it all, inc. shrub care.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to tear out the grass. When we moved here in 2020 our lawn (St. Augustine Grass) had obviously been neglected: it looked horrible. More bare spots than grass, and most of the grass was interspersed with weeds. I hired a yard guy to cut it: his advice was that resodding was unnecessary: that the current grass would send out runners to the bare spots and in time the lawn would look great. It did, but not without a lot of TLC for the first year. He also advised getting a good weed and pest control service, which I did: Florida Pest Control. They're not the cheapest game in town but in my opinion one of the most conscientious. They're there when they say they'll be there and do what they say they're going to do. A bit over three years later and my lawn is one of the two or three best on our street.

Resodding is expensive. Patience isn't. Get a GOOD company to curb the weeds and pests, water conscientiously, and in time your lawn should be fine.
i agree. mine was the same way until i got the new landscapers- i thought the lawn was beyond repair. it took awhile, but is lovely now
Old 11-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Default ARC Approval for Replacing Sod?

You do not need ARC approval when replacing sod with the same. I had it done by LaCosta Sod. *(407) 271-2991

I fought my lawn for over two years. Tried multiple services who said they could save it. NO LUCK. Spent lots of time and money. Finally I found LaCosta. It was torn out in one day and replaced the same day with fresh sod. I now have one the the prettiest lawns in the neighborhood
Old 11-11-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Do you know a contractor that can do this? Is it expensive?
Old 11-11-2023, 04:22 PM

St Augustine grass is in dormancy right now, so it’s not growing or doing anything. Don’t rip it out, come spring, it’ll take off. Call a few lawn care companies (we use Florida Pest). Have them give you recommendations on treatments and price quotes.

Also check your irrigation system to confirm it’s running right. St Augustine grass usually crowds out most weeds when it’s thick and healthy. So figure out why it went downhill in the first place.

I’d gather that a good spraying for weeds now, and a good program next year including fertilizer, weed and insect control is all you need. It will take time to recover but it will get there.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Many Things

First of all, watering and clean sprinkler heads that rotate are important to the health of your lawn. Makes sure your Hunter heads have a rotating pattern when you turn them on. In many cases underperforming heads are clogged and need to be cleaned out. I pop them up and put a large envelope clip on them before turning the heads for cleaning.

Next, weeds gain only be eradicated by using 41% glyphosate. Anything else will kill your grass.
Amazon.com

The most important thing to remember is St. Augustine can’t be seeded. It’s a runner. You can buy plugs or cut out bad turf and soil and replant. That’s about it. Black Cow soil is great, but it often brings the weeds you don’t want.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 11-11-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
Do you know a contractor that can do this? Is it expensive?
Our regular gardener did the Asian Jasmine for us, but he no longer works in The Villages.

Basically, he planted them in a grid at approx 18" spacing in both directions and just let them grow.

They do take quite a time to fill in the gaps but it looks fine while doing so and doesn't need weeding as they will take over eventually.

The plants are always on sale at Lowes and with a bulb planter it should be very easy for anyone to do.

They need no fertiliser or pesticide and very little irrigation. We strim the edges three times a year to neaten them up, but they grow to less than a foot in height so don't need "mowing".
Old 11-12-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Next, weeds gain only be eradicated by using 41% glyphosate. Anything else will kill your grass.
Amazon.com

The most important thing to remember is St. Augustine can’t be seeded. It’s a runner. You can buy plugs or cut out bad turf and soil and replant. That’s about it. Black Cow soil is great, but it often brings the weeds you don’t want.
The product you provided the link to say it will also kill all grass. How do you spray for weeds in the St Augustine grass without killing the St Augustine?
Old 11-12-2023, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Call Deans Service the best in the area.

Tags
lawn, interested, terrible, grass, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.