Lawn Looks Terrible - Help Needed!!

Old 12-05-2023, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm55 View Post
Hi all. The front lawn consisting of St Augustine grass at our villa looks terrible and also has weeds. We water regularly and pay for treatment every other month from a company called zoysia green (obviously not happy with their service)….

In short, I am considering having all grass torn out, fresh soil added and then either seed or sod put down. I would be interested in hearing any and all suggestions from those who have done the same or similar. Also interested to learn if there is a particular time of year that is suggested for best results.

Any recommendations for trustworthy landscapers to do this job will also be appreciated. I love the Villages and want to make my lawn look great and think I need to start my lawn over! Thx in advance
No need to worry about your lawn being beige instead of GREEN. It is December and the next few months your lawn will be dormant and not lovely but your roses and Azalia should be blooming. Smile and wait.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
I have ridden around a lot of the Villages and none have good grass. No matter the species, zoysia or St Augustine. At any time of the year, at best 60% of the grass is green.
The other 40 is some shade of brown. The reality here is that the weather and the bugs are never going to allow you to have a northern lawn, 90% green.

I saw a couple of really good lawns 80% green, I was impressed, what did they do? 3 months later they were back to 60% green. Its just the nature of the beast, what you are fighting is not being 25% green.

The less lawn you have the better, turn it into something else, rock, ground cover. A villa is ideal for that. Everyone else larger than that will just have to suffer with the 60% green.

Don't look at a lawn from a distance, stand on it, you will see the brown. Its just the nature of the beast here.

Now, if someone says I have a great lawn, go and look at it and see for yourself. There are no great lawns here. People have just gotten acclimated to the 40% brown. More brown in the winter and less brown in the spring summer. And all of these services do the same thing, BUT, they too cannot fight nature either, they just try to keep the 60% from becoming less.

Really, take a good look around and you will see, any lawn you can eliminate is good. The rest you can settle with 60% green, like everyone else.
You want to eliminate all lawns in The Villages?????

I question your motives and your sense of beauty, sir, madam.

Would you be one of those with a cause? Cause I don't like the cause of the rock-lawns, I am an old bird and I like a traditional lawn that sometimes needs chemicals. I see lots and lots of green lawns, mostly all green lawns here in The Villages during the growing season and they so please my eyes as does the flowers and nicely trimmed greenery in the common areas. I so appreciate this beautiful place taken good care of by homeowners and the developers and the CCD.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I’ve had 3 homes with lawns including the one I’m in now and I have had 3 courtyards mostly with rock . As much as I enjoyed the rock in the villas , I would not want to see the whole place full of rock lawns I think it would look awful .I agree with another poster who said just don’t look to close and I don’t , I have a service and do some watering but as long as nobody complains I guess I’m doing enough and that’s all I care about .The lawns I’ve had here are the first lawns I’ve had anywhere and just like when it comes to fixing things around the house , I’ll just let someone else worry about it .
Old 12-05-2023, 09:04 AM
Default Rich, Green Lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemotay View Post
It’s difficult to advise you on the proper way to fix this yourself without more info, although many have done just that.

Your question was for trustworthy landscapers to give you a fresh start. I can’t help you there, however if you want to give it a shot yourself then you need to educate yourself on several issues concerning growing healthy St Augustine grass.

Weeds have been a big problem this year and especially since we’ve been in a bit of a drought for a while now. Without adequate water the grass weakens and the weeds come in. You said that you water regularly but what does that mean? You could be watering every day for 10 minutes and not getting enough water for your grass to thrive. First, understand how much water your grass needs and then test to be sure it’s getting it from your irrigation.

You should also do a soil test to better understand what what is lacking in it. The grass needs nutrients and proper water to thrive. A soil test will tell you what fertilizer to apply so that you’re feeding your grass what it needs.

As far as weeds are concerned, you need to know what they are so that you know how to control/eradicate them. One size definitely doesn’t fit all when it comes to fertilizer and weed control.

Your grass is not dormant now, contrary to another comment in this thread. We’ve been having temps in the 80’s and healthy St Augustine is still growing enough to need mowing. If you’re mowing it then it’s not dormant.

I do my own lawn mowing and treatment. I’ve attached a picture of how it looks this morning. Definitely not dormant.

The University of Florida extension service has great info on growing a healthy St Augustine lawn. Good luck with your lawn!
My lawn looks like yours. I hire Dean's to handle the "chemicals" but I control the water and mow my own lawn. Mowing services bring and deposit remnants (bugs, weeds?) from each lawn they mowed that morning. Water, water, in this environment, that provides fast recovery from "damage". I mow and then hand water the bad spots I encounter, till they're gone. Summer time - mow three times a week. Wintertime - every 6 weeks, or so.

I figure - if I can ride my bike and/or golf in the hot summer, I can mow my lawn, too.
Lake Oswego, OR
Old 01-16-2024, 04:52 AM
Default I will pull weeds by hand in exchange for a charitable donation.

I have noticed in my yard and in the neighborhood that lawn services are not at all effective in dealing with weeds. I have been hand-pulling mine and now they are rare and my lawn looks great. I recently learned that I have Parkinson’s Disease and I would like some feedback: Would you consider making a donation to either the Parkinson’s Foundation or Michael J Fox Foundation in exchange for me hand-pulling your weeds? Yes, it’s hard work, but it’s good for me to stay active and I know that it’s effective. Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:42 AM

be carefull i was turned in to the villages by nabors and was fined not the happyest home town
Old 01-16-2024, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1009 wilder View Post
be carefull i was turned in to the villages by nabors and was fined not the happyest home town
so funny you should say that. i was going to pick some of the weeds on the neighbors lawn because they were out of state & didnt know it wasn't being done. community watch said they could fine me for trespassing.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitsd View Post
I have noticed in my yard and in the neighborhood that lawn services are not at all effective in dealing with weeds. I have been hand-pulling mine and now they are rare and my lawn looks great. I recently learned that I have Parkinson’s Disease and I would like some feedback: Would you consider making a donation to either the Parkinson’s Foundation or Michael J Fox Foundation in exchange for me hand-pulling your weeds? Yes, it’s hard work, but it’s good for me to stay active and I know that it’s effective. Please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.
i'd make a donation without asking you to pluck, lol. God Bless
Old 01-16-2024, 10:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I have a patch of dead grass that I would like to replace. Is there a store that sells pieces of sod at this time of year?
Would wait till March/April. Cool weather still around and most grasses are dormant,
Old 01-16-2024, 10:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
My lawn is going bad also. Mine is because the guy I hired to mow does me third in a series of six or so houses and has brought weeds from the houses before mine into my yard. The weed is a Spurge, and it spreads rapidly. I told my mower guy I would get him a ramp to drive up on so that he could use my hose to wash the bottom of his mower (he refused, and that is understandable), and so I asked him to mow my lawn first and clean his mower at home before coming out (again, he refused). At first, he was running his machine so fast that he was rutting my lawn and destroying sprinkler heads and landscaping lights, but I asked him to slow down and not run his mower at full throttle. That helped a little, but not with the weed problem. I recently hired a landscaping company to remove the weeds, plug the patches with sod, and spray the lawn with a "weed and feed" type chemical once a month. It is expensive, but they are certain they can get the lawn back to how it looked a few months ago.

Now, here is my question for you -- does my St. Agustine grass need to be mowed weekly during the winter months (my lawn mowing guy mowed it short last time and wants to mow it every other week during the winter months), and do you think I could find somebody in the area to mow using my own riding mower and gas. If so, how often should the job be done?

By the way, my lawn here looks a lot better than at my home in Illinois where my soil is hard clay. Up there, my lawn is mostly "creeping Charlie" and tree roots (I built in a forest).
? of cutting grass in the winter time. Does not need once a week(norm in the summer) and suggest cutting it every 15-20 days. It will not need any more unless winter is very warm. Personal aesthetic choice
Old 01-17-2024, 06:52 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Sod

Luis Landscaping replaced my lawn with sod. Did a great job.

Tags
lawn, interested, terrible, grass, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.