Lawn Questions

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Lawn Questions

We recently moved into our TV home and while we love our new house, the lawn is in terrible shape, especially the section between our white picket fence and the street.

There are several different types of weeds (almost more weeds than grass), and while I have mowed weekly and kept them cut back, I am just not sure how to approach this problem. Being new to this part of Florida, I'm not even familiar with what type of weeds I'm growing. Would it be better to just totally re-sod the front lawn? Is there a decent chemical treatment that will kill all the types of weeds but leave the grass intact? Does it pay to do any work before the winter cold turns everything brown anyway?

I prefer doing my own lawn work (I love working outdoors and I'm also on a tight budget after just moving in and having new tile installed and the house painted), but I don't even know where to start. I will hire a professional to take care of it, but I prefer to do it myself.

Sometime down the road I know we want to add some raised beds and other landscaping, but in the short term I just want to get the front lawn looking decent.

Thanks for any advice.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
We recently moved into our TV home and while we love our new house, the lawn is in terrible shape, especially the section between our white picket fence and the street.

There are several different types of weeds (almost more weeds than grass), and while I have mowed weekly and kept them cut back, I am just not sure how to approach this problem. Being new to this part of Florida, I'm not even familiar with what type of weeds I'm growing. Would it be better to just totally re-sod the front lawn? Is there a decent chemical treatment that will kill all the types of weeds but leave the grass intact? Does it pay to do any work before the winter cold turns everything brown anyway?

I prefer doing my own lawn work (I love working outdoors and I'm also on a tight budget after just moving in and having new tile installed and the house painted), but I don't even know where to start. I will hire a professional to take care of it, but I prefer to do it myself.

Sometime down the road I know we want to add some raised beds and other landscaping, but in the short term I just want to get the front lawn looking decent.

Thanks for any advice.
Get some Weed-B-Gon. It will kill all broadleaf weeds except crab grass. Takes about two weeks for the kill. Then you will be able to see how much grass you have. Kill the weeds now. Apply Scotts Southern Beauty anytime this month for your fall application. Tearing out the sod and resoding is the last step to take (and the most expensive).
Here are a couple sites that will help you understand how to manage Zoysia grass.
http://www.sodsolutions.com/t_empire.shtml

http://www.empireturf.com
Have fun!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Bogie Shooter is right on target! One caution...don't use Weed-B-Gone when it's breezy. It is harmful to shrubs and other plantings if the wind carries the spray to their leaves.
Good luck...(I'm fighting the same battle...and victory is just over the horizon)
Old 11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I assumed you had Zoysia grass.....don't use Weed-b-gon on St Augustine.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Sage
Smile Lawn Questions

Scott's Bonus S Ultra works like magic on St Augustine grass. For only about $15-$18, it covers 5000 square feet. My grass looks awful every spring, but after one treatment it looks great. It takes about two weeks to kill the weeds. Just follow the directions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.