Lawn repair 101

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
#1, I'd rely on LOCAL Home Depot or Lowe's to pick up sod, they ONLY stock varieties that are appropriate for our area.

#2, We took the free Florida lawn maintenance classes provided by the U. of F. when we first built our home here. Don't know if they have changed over the years, but, we were give the following advice and through the years it has proven very very reliable:
. remove as much of the dead "thatch" as you can in the bare areas, but don't obsess over it, just see that it's "roughed" up.
.fill in the spaces between the pieces of sod with Black Cow (comes in bags where garden soil, manure, etc. is stacked)
. and lastly, they taught us that if you only have small bare spots, places here and there, perhaps from grubs, after spraying for the grubs, you can just "rough up" areas smaller than a dinner plate, and simply fill them with Black Cow... they WILL fill in with the need for purchasing sod if they are small areas.
#3 As for the system, they are a headache, why not just manually set the number of minutes ? But, I understand if you are seldom here and really need to rely on the auto. The university extension USED to also offer free classes on irrigation systems, Hunter and one or two others. You might inquire (their office is/was in the Sumter Co. Sheriff's annex on route 466 near Morse Blvd.) if they still offer these very helpful classes. Many of us have found the "rain sensors" are also frequently not working, or are completely useless ! Good luck. The extension classes are GREAT, and "free"(well, our taxes support the ag. extension office of course) makes them even better.
All three questions answered! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I’ve become well versed in irrigation. My initial question was as a result of not finding zoysia in any of the local stores and I looked over time at multiple retailers.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Smile Sod Plugs

Jngiblin....I would like to ask for your help and recommendations concerning sod installation. You seem to have knowledge about this subject and I definitely need help.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngiblin View Post
We have a section of lawn (about 50 sq ft) that is bare & needs repair. I searched all over for zoysia sod/sod pods. I finally resorted to ordering online. I just read in another post here that there are multiple varieties of zoysia. Does that make a big difference? Secondly, the lawn is in need of a ‘lift’. What type soil do I need and where do I get it? Finally, the Hunter Pro-C irrigation system is ‘acting up’. All settings are accurate except the seasonal adjustment. No matter how many times I reset it, it constantly reverts to 10%. So my sprinklers only run for < 5 minutes. How do I fix this so it sticks?
Old 07-05-2023, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

352-504-7827 May I suggest best sprinkler guy, Joe , FLI Irrigation, also 352-245-8971 Alans sod, also IMHO the best
Old 07-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngiblin View Post
All three questions answered! Thank you for taking the time to respond. I’ve become well versed in irrigation. My initial question was as a result of not finding zoysia in any of the local stores and I looked over time at multiple retailers.
When you go to Lowes, ask when the grass will be available, I think they only get it one day a week. My neighbor picked up 3 or 4 squares for me, and I cut these up in to 4 pieces each, then placed them several inches apart to cover a much larger area, and 2 months later I have a nice green lawn. NOTE: I did manually water these areas for about 6 weeks to get the patches established.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:12 PM

Thanks, I was looking for what top dressing to use !
Old 07-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Smile Sod Installation

Bogie Shooter,
Does Lowes lay sod plugs?
Can you recommend a good landscape company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Home Depot has fresh zoysia sod on Thursdays.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, finally, repair, zoysia, settings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.