Lawn Rolling

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Default Lawn Rolling

We are new the the Villages and our front yard, especially, is uneven. Any recommendations on who does the lawn rolling with the drum roller on the cat?

Thanks.

Craig
Old 02-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
We are new the the Villages and our front yard, especially, is uneven. Any recommendations on who does the lawn rolling with the drum roller on the cat?

Thanks.

Craig
First call would be to the Warranty Department to express your displeasure, they will have someone look at it and possibly take corrective action.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

usually the drum rolling will not take out the uneven-ness.

If it is very rugged or raggedy then call home warranty.....be demanding!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Although new sod should always be rolled, I've never seen landscapers or sod people do it here.

I hope for your sake you purchased a new house in which case you definitely should get in touch with Warranty to report your problem. In a new home, that is their responsibility to make it right.

If you purchased a resale, the onus is on you. Either you will have to fill the low spots with top soil and rake it in, or have someone or a landscaper do it for you. Don't let anyone talk you into doing the job with sand; it doesn't do anything to improve the soil (and I use the term "soil" loosely!).
Old 02-03-2015, 10:17 AM

TV will likely come roll your sod if you complain, unfortunately sod rolling only works well with sod grown on organic soil. This sod should be very moist to work well... BUT..

Most of the sod in TV area is grown on soil that is around 50% sand. This soil has a higher LBR (load bearing ratio ) than 'muck' soils, so rolling is not effective.

The best way to fix pot holes and uneven lawn is by filling the low areas with a quality top soil or clean sand. I prefer top soil for the organic content and sand for longevity as organic material breaks down over time and needs to be replenished. Fungus is also much easier to combat on sand grown lawns as well.

The other down side to top soil is most of the top soils at the area stores are very 'chippy' and come with a good supply of spurge and other weed seed, I have found but one supplier of weed free top soil in the bag without going to a more expensive potting medium. Clean sand is easier to find than clean top soil, but you have to work a little harder to maintain fertility and proper pH, but you can grow a great lawn on sand, with the proper steps.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 PM

Dont use sand /.. anyone here ever go the the beach look around is there any
grass .. nope!!! i have seen one customer that used it over 2 years ago guess what sand is still there no grass ...
Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Thank you for your help!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.