Lighting for Palm Trees

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Thanks for your reply —

So I’m a total novice to all of this, so I need to ask some “newbie” questions - 1) If I go the DYI route for wired lighting, is there like a cord that I bury, then comes out of the ground and runs into my lanai to plug in (like a visible extension cord?) 2) and is there like a timer I set, rather than flicking on and off manually? 3) I’m electronically challenged, how easy is the DYI project, or would someone like me be better off hiring someone to do all this for me.

Thanks in advance for responding back to me - I always appreciate all the advice and wisdom you give on TOTV.
We purchased inexpensive solar lights at Lowes. They are working fine and we can move them when we need to.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Another vote for hardwiring LED lights. Our Sylvester has grown 15 feet in 7 years so I think we made the right lighting choice. To be effective the lighting needs to be adjustable & as strong as possible to reach the heights the tree will grow. They grow faster than we were led to believe
Old 08-12-2023, 10:40 AM
Default Aponuo Solar on Amazon

Quote:
Just had a brand new Sylvester Palm planted in front yard yesterday. I am now looking at lighting options. Looking at solar spotlights. Is this the way to go? Reading some online reviews that are split on solar being the most effective. Would like to hear from Villages residents who have lighted palms in their yards, and what lightning options they have used. Thanks as always for your replies.
Awesome light output on my Sylvester with 4 small LED lights and the solar panel can be outside and shrubs or flowers. Apuono solar spotlights 4-in-1 are on sale on Amazon.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Just had a brand new Sylvester Palm planted in front yard yesterday. I am now looking at lighting options. Looking at solar spotlights. Is this the way to go? Reading some online reviews that are split on solar being the most effective. Would like to hear from Villages residents who have lighted palms in their yards, and what lightning options they have used. Thanks as always for your replies.
The hard part for diy solution is to get a power source to plug in the transformer. You may need to get an electrician for that. They can perhaps tap into your post light and install a weather proof outlet box. Then you can plug in the transformer and run the low voltage wires to/from it. Most of the transformers have a light sensor to go on at night and off in morning.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Order a couple of solar light from Amazon Prime..if they don’t like the look, you have 30 days to return.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:25 PM
Default Like From California

Quote:
Thanks for your reply —

So I’m a total novice to all of this, so I need to ask some “newbie” questions - 1) If I go the DYI route for wired lighting, is there like a cord that I bury, then comes out of the ground and runs into my lanai to plug in (like a visible extension cord?) 2) and is there like a timer I set, rather than flicking on and off manually? 3) I’m electronically challenged, how easy is the DYI project, or would someone like me be better off hiring someone to do all this for me.

Thanks in advance for responding back to me - I always appreciate all the advice and wisdom you give on TOTV.
Michael,

Like dude, like get like American English lessons like now. You say you are like 61.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChipster View Post
Michael,

Like dude, like get like American English lessons like now. You say you are like 61.
Appreciate the constructive criticism - you have a blessed day my friend.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGraves View Post
The hard part for diy solution is to get a power source to plug in the transformer. You may need to get an electrician for that. They can perhaps tap into your post light and install a weather proof outlet box. Then you can plug in the transformer and run the low voltage wires to/from it. Most of the transformers have a light sensor to go on at night and off in morning.
All of the houses I have seen have GFCI protected outdoor receptacles installed. If you are lucky one of these will be in a suitable location. The bigger problem is typically getting across the driveway if needed. I found that using a power washer to clean out the stress cut, allows a #14 low voltage landscape cable to be installed in the stress cut. You MUST be very careful at the entrance and exit of the cable as landscapers tend to cut these wires with their string trimmers. I cannot count the number of times I had to repair wires in this location.
Having an outlet installed on the lamp post works great, make sure this is either a GFCI outlet or that the lamp post is protected by a GFCI. Make sure the weatherproof cover can be completely closed with the transformer plugged in. I believe there are special requirements for the mechanical connection of the new outlet box to the pole for weatherproofing also.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:36 PM

I have solar lights. Not too bad for the cost. The solar lights are not as bright as the wired LED lights. My solar lights have been installed now about 6 months and they are still working fine. It's all about how bright you want your landscape lighting to be.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I believe you will be disappointed in the solar powered landscape lights. Depending on your home and landscape layout, you should be able to install (DIY) suitable WIRED lighting for under $100 in material cost. I have done this for several neighbors, but this time of year, forget it, way too hot. If you go the DIY route just lay the wire on top of the landscaping and wait for nighttime or cooler weather to bury it. Also, get the type of lights with REPLACEABLE bulbs (LEDS) otherwise you will have to replace the entire unit when a LED fails.
How far down do you bury the wire? I would get a straight, flat shovel and make the line that way. Push it into the earth, wiggle it to make a V opening, drop the wire down and step on the V to join the earth together again. Much easier down here vs up north.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitley View Post
How far down do you bury the wire? I would get a straight, flat shovel and make the line that way. Push it into the earth, wiggle it to make a V opening, drop the wire down and step on the V to join the earth together again. Much easier down here vs up north.
You can bury to whatever depth you want, I ran ours right next to the house foundation and down about 2 inches to the weedwhackers would not hit the wires. In the garden landscaping, I tend to be an inch or so below the top of the stones or mulch.
IMHO, burying the wire in the lawn is the hard part, this grass is much harder to cut through.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:21 AM

On the driveway side, I will use a very small transformer and get power from the GFI near the A/C. Some might call this overkill for 1 or 2 lights, but in reality.. it isn't.

With the time it takes to run a wire thru a crack that will be exposed to sun and often cleaning chemicals and eventually shorting out ... the 50 bucks for a small transformer makes my install virtually trouble free. And I don't need to break out a concrete saw to clean out or widen those cuts in the driveway when the wire won't fit.

And never EVER put the gfi on your lightpost. Along with the problem that your garage fridge is likely on the same breaker, and a little problem kicking the GFI can turn into a freezer full of rotten food you were saving ....... You will still need to mount the transformer somewhere (on the post right?) and if mounted to code, it will be unsightly in the front, and breaking the protective coatings and paint on those posts, causing them to corrode and need replaced in just a couple years.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
i got a cheap solar lamp from amazon about 3 years ago & it's still out there working!! when you shop, choose the 'customer reviews' option
Old 09-06-2023, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChipster View Post
Michael,

why so mean?
Closed Thread

Tags
lighting, solar, options, palm, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.