Looking for advice on removing all grass on CYV.

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Default Looking for advice on removing all grass on CYV.

Have a CYV which I would like to remove all the grass from the front and back yard areas and replace it with rocks. Just trying to decide the pros and cons of doing it myself versus paying a landscaper. I am physically fit enough to do it and would enjoy the satisfaction of having done it. However since I am new to homeownership in TV, I am not sure how difficult this would be to do. Seems that the sandy Florida soil would make cutting out the sod pretty easy. However I would not know where to dispose it. Are there landfills around TV that I could bring grass. Looking for some insight from others who might have done this. Also I have not spoken to a landscaper so I have no idea what it would cost to have them do it. Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM

If you are looking for a landscaper to give you a fair and reasonable price call Matt Smith of Smitty Etc. 352-561-1999 he is young hard working reasonable and honest. I use him on several properties.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't know how much there is, but you can always go to Lowe's and buy those paper lawn and leaf disposal bags and leave them out for the trash collector.
Once you get all the grass out, spray the soil with roundup then cover it with plastic sheeting. Put the rocks on top of the sheeting. You can use weed blankets, but weeds will eventually come through it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Run in by ARC first.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM

Not sure about CYV, but Designer homes have to have a certain percentage of grass. A friend in Mallory had a neighbor enlarge their driveway too much and ended up having to put part of the new driveway back to grass to stay in compliance with their deed restrictions. Worth checking out.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

sometime people are looking for few yards of grass..post here
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
Not sure about CYV, but Designer homes have to have a certain percentage of grass..
Depends on the district read your C&R

9 has no such % but the ARC still has to ok it and they want some turf to remain especially in the ROW's
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM

We purchased our CYV in Megan Villas in April. We had talked about doing our front in rock. When we came back in July for a visit, a lot of the homes had already done that. Once our pool was finished, we also did our whole front in two levels of rock and added a couple of palms. We have dogs, so in the back, we added some rock, a palm, and left some grass. Drive around some of the other villas and take a look. I know when we go back down at the end of this month, most will have updated their landscape for easier maintenance. Once one starts, they all start...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reis View Post
Have a CYV which I would like to remove all the grass from the front and back yard areas and replace it with rocks. Just trying to decide the pros and cons of doing it myself versus paying a landscaper. I am physically fit enough to do it and would enjoy the satisfaction of having done it. However since I am new to homeownership in TV, I am not sure how difficult this would be to do. Seems that the sandy Florida soil would make cutting out the sod pretty easy. However I would not know where to dispose it. Are there landfills around TV that I could bring grass. Looking for some insight from others who might have done this. Also I have not spoken to a landscaper so I have no idea what it would cost to have them do it. Thanks
Not a fan of just rocks in a yard. The front on the villa would be ok, but I would think the back yard being all rock would lower the value of the home. Just my opinion. Rocks don't stay looking pretty forever they get weed growth through them and the rain splashes dirt on them. Just food for thought. Removing rock is a really hard and expensive job.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM

I guess I'm cheap but I would cover the grass with landscape fabric or black plastic. Put rocks on top. The grass will smother and die. This is how we put large landscape islands in our yard in PA. Just a thought
Old 09-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Filtration View Post
Depends on the district read your C&R

9 has no such % but the ARC still has to ok it and they want some turf to remain especially in the ROW's
What are C&R? What are ROW's?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Default removing grass from CYV

Thank you all for the info it has been helpful. I was not aware of having to run it by ARC and will have to that first. Thanks John
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

I was under the impression that quite a few people bought CYV's especially because they have dogs and want the enclosed grass area (at least that was one of the reasons for us). So if or when you decide to move or if you want to rent it out, rocks might limit interested people.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgreeneyes View Post
I was under the impression that quite a few people bought CYV's especially because they have dogs and want the enclosed grass area (at least that was one of the reasons for us). So if or when you decide to move or if you want to rent it out, rocks might limit interested people.
I too like grass and wish I was retired and living in TV, then I would definitely keep the grass. However I only come down about twice a year for a couple of weeks and would like to reduce the maintenance and upkeep costs.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM

My advice:
Don't do it. It looks so ugly!!!
I live in a CYV, and that's my opinion.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.