Looking for a new lawn care company

Closed Thread
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts
Default Looking for a new lawn care company

It's been a little over a year that we closed on our home.
I'm not all that satisfied with our lawn maintenance.For what it's costing I would think my lawn and shrubs should be in better shape.When ever I call the office I get the feeling customer service isn't a priority.
called 3 times total.
Example..Their crew was here yesterday mowing and trimming.
I asked the lead man if they would trim back the shrubs.
It's service that I pay for not looking for a free trim.
That the shrubs were growing against the screen of the Lani and the Heat pump clearly have not been done in several months.
He said that I must call the office and they would call him to proceed with the work order. OK no big deal. I called got Ms Attitude on the other end
like I was interrupting her day.I explained the situation.
Answer was were backed up and there is no way we can make it till mid Dec.
I replied I was concerned the the shrubs would possibly tear the screen since they were growing up against it in several places .Sorry it's the best I can do.Now looking for new company that takes pride in customer service Any recommendations and why ? Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Sage

Ok, what's the secret, who does "Ms Attitude" work for?

Others want to know who to avoid.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

I am going through a very similar situation. I guess what really bugs me is when they advertise in the paper, the amount that I paid Is WAY over what they quote in the paper. I'm supposed to be getting much better service. Could you PM me the name of your people, and I can see if its the same?? Not that it will help, but at least i'll know i'm not the only one getting bad service fron them. I've only had them for 3 months.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

IF you are paying more than sixty bucks a month for mowing, trimming, and edging and chemical weeding (not hand weeding) that is too much. Fertilizing is extra.

That is my experience from being here for five years and hearing what others pay. And that is for an average lot on a designer.

Shop around and don't sign contracts, but don't pay someone the low rate for the summer and then drop them for the winter or dormant season. Fair is fair.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Default Lawn Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
IF you are paying more than sixty bucks a month for mowing, trimming, and edgeing and chemical weeding (not hand weeding) that is too much. Fertilizing is extra.

That is my experience from being here for five years and hearing what others pay. And that is for an average lot on a designer.

Shop around and don't sign contracts, but don't pay someone the low rate for the summer and then drop them for the winter or dormant season. Fair is fair.
I'm pretty sure you did not mean "trimming" of shrubs and bushes but weed whacking.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Sage
Default You decide. Picture of our home in Hadley before we moved to new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieJr View Post
I'm pretty sure you did not mean "trimming" of shrubs and bushes but weed whacking.
Nope. Did NOT mean weed whacking. Earl's guys trimmed our shrubs about once a month and cut back the Crepe Myrtle in the fall and did a nice job. He charged us $55 a month for the the four years we lived there which was about the same price as other neighbors paid to their lawn service.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Please provide Earl's company and phone number-----Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Please provide Earl's company and phone number-----Thanks
We now use Mike's Maintainance, but do the bushes ourselves. Still low price.

You have to get several quotes and let them know that they are quoting too high in the new areas.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts
Default Lawn care

I have everything bundled into one package i didn't want to deal with people coming and going
mowing, weeding, trimming ,pruning ,fertilizer spring and fall flowers shrubs
everything but termite control adds up to well over $100 a month I shouldn't have to call to get results
I've had them for 15 months
Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Sage

I think of all the contractors the landscape/lawncare segment have the most number of complaints and performance issues.

If someone with biz sense ever started an organized biz model they would have a hell of a biz.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Call Stellar a TOTV sponsor. Had them for over 1 yr. & I am VERY Satisfied!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Sage

You should be for $2000 up front,

But like others he has received some negative feedback.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The $2000 up front is for everything under the sun. You don't have to take the whole package. We took two out of the three of them last Feb. (which, by the way, is for 13 months, not 12, plus they extended our pest control yet a second month because they didn't start it till March). I will sign up for the whole shebang come March/April because they have done such a good job and have been so responsive whenever I've called. If you think you have a fungus starting, or a question about your watering plan, or whatever, and you call, they're out the very next day.

Plus they use a hand mower on our small designer yard, not one of those monstrous ride-ons that zip around at 40 mph and tear up the lawn with the tires.

We have just gotten an estimate from Stellar for landscaping, and it is very reasonable. The owner came out personally and came up with some great ideas for our problem areas. We are about to decide to go with them, and NO, I have not been given a discount for anything I have ever said on this forum for Stellar.

We're very satisfied, and I like having one company take care of it all.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Sage

Why do you HAVE TO pay up front?

That is crazy.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
Stellar does NOT require a year in advance for services. We allow quarterly, semi-annual, or annual payments. We give discounts for advanced payments and occassionally run specials where the customer receives 1 month free if the year is paid in full to new customers. That's 13 months for the price of 12 months. I think that is a wonderful incentive for advanced payments. If you paid "$2,000" for services, you purchased our "Showstopper" program priced at $1,995. You must be misinformed of what the program includes...Because you speak of it like someone is paying us "$2,000" to come mow the lawn one time. We are mowing the lawn 12 months (if not paid in full), fertilizing and weeding the lawn, pest control, treating the shrubs 6x, trimming palms/shrubs 6x, weeding the beds, checking irrigation, aerating the lawn 2x, and FREE unlimited service calls across the board...For an entire year!!! No wait, that's 13 months if they paid for the year... Wow! I think I need to raise my prices...LOL

-Marty
Allow .....what a poor choice of words buddy, you demand or require not allow.

As I said before "If someone with biz sense ever started an organized lawncare biz model they would have a hell of a biz. "

Maybe they would have the ability to obtain monthly payments AFTER the work is done, on an automated system, not up front

There is absolutely no reason for your biz to demand upfront fees for service, you're working with your customers money for upto a year.

That's the one thing that stops me from considering your company.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.