Looking for a new lawn care company

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Veteran member

Jimbo, there's a lot of companies where you pay quarterly, semi-annual or annual. My goodness, it's a convenience for the homeowner not to have to pay monthly. I get quarterly statements and pay them sometime in the middle month. I know our guy is going to be around so I do it. I'm sure these guys get stiffed plenty of times.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Jimbo, since you aren't living here yet, why are you so worked up about this? IMHO you are going to be missing out on one of the best lawn services available here. Good luck trying to find someone who does a good job and is dependable and actually answers the phone when you call. Most lawn services here offer different payment plans and most offer discounts if you pay in advance. Chill out, you need to relax and enjoy the easy life.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Sage

Haaa, I know how to relax....I'm going to be living there very soon and only need service in summer while away.

It just irritates me how folks there bow to those demands, if everyone said no guess what it wouldn't happen.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Haaa, I know how to relax....I'm going to be living there very soon and only need service in summer while away.

It just irritates me how folks there bow to those demands, if everyone said no guess what it wouldn't happen.
The owner just explained, its not a demand!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
I'm sure these guys get stiffed plenty of times.
Every biz in the world has a % of loss in one form or another.

How about the folks that paid up front that got stiffed?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
The owner just explained, its not a demand!
Not sure how you get that meaning.

If you don't pay up he will not work for you, sounds like a demand to me.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Sage

jimbo, it sounds like you should set up your own lawn care business in TV.

Bill
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Sage

Bill I'll tell 'ya one thing if I did, I would own that vertical,
less face it the real reason these mom & pops do this is because they are under capitalized more than likely.

Tell me why they can't setup software in a POS system to take monthly payments by credit card after that month's work is completed on an auto pay method.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Not sure how you get that meaning.

If you don't pay up he will not work for you, sounds like a demand to me.
My mistake
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM

We use a local guy named Daryl Hicks and are very happy with his work. He's been in business for many years and does many homes in The Villages. His wife, Pam, is the bookkeeper. He's dependable, very honest, and conscientious. Many times he personally cuts our grass. We leave for extended periods and have always returned to an immaculate yard.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Location: Philadelphia,PA - Mt Laurel, NJ, Village of Fernandina
Default Summer Service

Quote:

Jimbo,
I'm also in Fernandina and have decided to weed whack my patio villa lawn for the time being. My problem is what to do when I'm away in July and August. It sounds like you are in the same boat. The way the system seems to work down here, if you don't sign up for 12 months, then they won't cut your lawn while you're away for 2 months. The way I plan it, I will have to cut it myself Sept thru Nov, it's dormant from Dec to Mar, then I'll do it myself again April thru June. If this doesn't work out for me, then I'll be forced to pay close to $500 a year for my tiny lawn to be cut. I've been told on this board already about what a great deal this is. Well anything is a great deal if you have enough money to pay it. Personally I'd like to use $500 for something else and I don't mind spending 30 minutes a week to maintain the yard.
Have you come up with a solution for July and August?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Sage

There has to be someone who will do it when needed.......
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Bill I'll tell 'ya one thing if I did, I would own that vertical,
less face it the real reason these mom & pops do this is because they are under capitalized more than likely.

Tell me why they can't setup software in a POS system to take monthly payments by credit card after that month's work is completed on an auto pay method.
Bob, Stellar really does have a monthly payment program option. I have the signed copy of my contract from yesterday right in front of me, and I can tell you this for a fact.

I saw Matt Stout from Stellars yesterday and purchased the SHOWSTOPPER package for $1995. I did not do this hastily. I did my homework for a number of months and struggled leaning as much as I could about them before making my (our) decision. The monthly payment option for that package is $199.50 per month. (other lesser packages have a similar pricing structure)

What this all means is that if the annual option is selected, you will benefit by getting two months (11 & 12) free of charge while receiving service for all 12 months. That's a savings of $399 to you by choosing the Annual plan.

If that weren't good enough, right now they are having a holiday special by offering an additional two months on the annual package you chose, for the first year. That means you get an unbelievable four, that's right 4 free months (months 11, 12, 13 & 14) for an unbelievable savings of $798 for the first 14 months. After the 14th month are completed, you'll then have the option to renew for 12 months only, unless of course they have any specials going at that time. Gosh, the savings alone are more than I've previously paid for a year. How can I beat a deal like that!

What it appears they don't do is contract for less than a year. You have to commit for the full year. The choice is only with the payment option... monthly or yearly!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
Jimbo,
I'm also in Fernandina and have decided to weed whack my patio villa lawn for the time being. My problem is what to do when I'm away in July and August. It sounds like you are in the same boat. The way the system seems to work down here, if you don't sign up for 12 months, then they won't cut your lawn while you're away for 2 months. The way I plan it, I will have to cut it myself Sept thru Nov, it's dormant from Dec to Mar, then I'll do it myself again April thru June. If this doesn't work out for me, then I'll be forced to pay close to $500 a year for my tiny lawn to be cut. I've been told on this board already about what a great deal this is. Well anything is a great deal if you have enough money to pay it. Personally I'd like to use $500 for something else and I don't mind spending 30 minutes a week to maintain the yard.
Have you come up with a solution for July and August?
When you're away for the two months, do you use a homewatch? if so, they 'might' know someone who would mow for the two months. Doesn't hurt to ask them.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I do not understand the reluctance to sign a contract and pay up front. We did that for the mowing up north, paying by the season. It's just not for the whole year because there is no whole year of grass and shrubs growing. When winter came along, we paid up front for a season of snow removal.

It's not uncommon, and IMO it's not a big deal. If some company's going to stiff you over that, they won't be in business long. And doing proper research ensures you won't do business with a company that would stiff you in the first place.

I stand our decision to go with Stellar. There's no "attitude" from anyone in the company, and they are quick to respond. Plus they do an excellent job, so there's very little reason to call them to begin with.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.