Mandevillas

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 AM
Gold member
Talking Mandevillas

Bought my first Mandevilla plant last week, and trying to train it to run up light post. Does anyone have experience with this plant and have some hints?? Are they good in the hot heat? Any information would be helpful.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Gold member

I have one and it appears to like shade in mid day. The flowers will wilt in full mid day sun. It loves to climb and attach to anything near.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM
KittyKat
Default Vining & non-vining.

There are two types of Mandevillas. Make sure you bought the vining one. I have seen many in my neighborhood planted by the light post in full sun and do well. Need to be covered in the winter.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i have trained climbing roses by attaching a Christmas tree ornament hook to each end of a length of fishing line - one hook catches the plant and the other end hooks to the top of a trellis in the back - no one notices the fishing line and the hooks can be moved if i want the plants to go another way!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Sage

We have one of these on the south end of our lanai. It gets sun from early to mid-morning then is protected by our house the rest of the day. We have it trained to go up a trellis. I has survived two winters without covering it but it is protected by the over-hang of the roof. We were told "IF" they get frost on them, then turn brown, to wait til it's warm in the spring--cut off the brown and it will grow back again. This also applied to our hibiscus. We were told if it appears to "die" from frost to do that same thing. This winter ours flourished...though it did apparently get some aphids which our "bug man" saw and took care of.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran member

I tried to grow a Mandevilla vine 3 times on my light post. Had purchased a small wrought iron trellis. After the third winter where it completely died I replaced it with a Passion Vine. Nothing kills them.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

they are very prolific and will grow up ino anything it is near. Needs a lot of pruning....which seems like no matter when it is done does not bother the plant.
Our have been in the almost all day sun with no more than the weekly lawn watering to keep them watered.

The are suceptible to being killed off by prolonged frost or hard freezes. Over 9 years we have lost several and just buy another to replace them.

btk
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
they are very prolific and will grow up ino anything it is near. Needs a lot of pruning....which seems like no matter when it is done does not bother the plant.
Our have been in the almost all day sun with no more than the weekly lawn watering to keep them watered.

The are suceptible to being killed off by prolonged frost or hard freezes. Over 9 years we have lost several and just buy another to replace them.

btk
When you say pruning, what are you pruning? The vine, flower, or just the whole plant? Thanks
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.