Mansfield Landscaping???

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Mansfield didn't do my landscaping but he did a neighbor at our previous home and did a good job. I would agree that his personality is, well different, as I got a bid from him but decided on another. His companies work and his landscape plants and materials are as good as anybody in TV. I would advise you to get at least 3 bids and then decide on the one that you think will do you the best job. Do not pay until the job is finished.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I highly recommend McGowan. Easy to work with and very accomodating as well as fairly priced. No drama!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM

We would not recommend him. He was very rude, argumentative and threatening when asked a basic question about the job. There are other landscapers to choose from who are not abusive.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Sage
Default Mansfield

Steve did my landscaping. I loved his work so much I went to work for him. I no longer work for him, so this is an honest review of what I think of him and his work

Mr. Mansfield is brilliant. He knows what he is doing. His prices are Sometimes higher because he uses more rock than the other landscapers use. Look inside the walls and see who fils to the top with rock and who doesn't.

I know his bedside manner leaves something to be desired.... But Im looking for the best landscaper.... Not a personality! When he gets to know you.... He will look you in the eye. He is good at what he does and I know from working for him that he does stand behind his work.

Yes.... He does work fast. Often times the job is done in a day. That doesn't mean it's not a good job.... Just that your yard isn't torn up for a week. I liked that.

He is bonded and insured and pays all his employees legally. Which BTW accounts for a somewhat higher quote. But if one of his employees gets hurt on your property.... He has it covered

Knowing what I do about him and his work, I could not hire anyone else.

As I said.... I no longer work for him but I did have a chance to get to know him. Don't be put off by his gruffness. He is a teddy bear.

You are welcome to PM me and come by my place and check out his work.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Gold member

Everything posted above is true. Steve was recommended by a friend.

I did not shop around. Figured I had the real deal and contracted the job. Price was fair. Other jobs by Steve looked competed and done in good taste.

We had a small budget and job. They were In and out in one day! Wonderful ,wonderful crew. I have alot of respect for Ronnie the crew manager. Wish I had only dealt with him.

Our job is still being completed, Money was returned for the part not finished until we are happy. That is a positive thing.

HOWEVER!

As a family my wife and I will never be happy. We come home and do not enjoy the landscape. It is now a bad memory a threat not a soothing pleasure. The stress of the entire job was something one does not retire to Florida over.

If you dare ask a question! Well others have stated above what happens. If you write a check and say yes sir no sir and oh your the greatest life is good.

I tried playing nice nice politics over a part of the job I though was not going correct. Even drove out to the the nursery for advise. That was not good! That was really really not good! And that got the wife fired up.

After three days of Drama between the business and us over who was right. One morning while I was on the phone getting ( educated by Steve) which equates to being lectured to death. My wife got sick of listening to me kiss up ,had just about enough of the man and in the background used language I never heard from her.

If you ask the crew for advise you get kind positive answers. Hard Hard working men. I say God Bless the Crew!

I was warned by two other Villagers that Steve could get abusive. I figured it was just them. Boy was I wrong.

We never got a lunch or dinner and never will. But with landscaping we all know there is no free lunch.

Was I wrong? Was I being critical and to picky. I thought maybe. Then I thought if I yelled at my students or customers like I was talked down to I would be arrested.

I was pleased that my TOTV friends reached out and sent PM's to me with their own personal Mansfield stories. I'm was not alone as others above have posted the same experiences.

Angie Fox's landscape is absolutely stunning. Like 99% of those Steve has done. It's a darn shame that some get a great job and excape the wrath and others win the Steve lottery for a not so fun ride of verbal rhetoric.

It's seems to be a crap shoot who gets it. All the quality work in the world is not worth being talked down to. At first I felt bad the man was upset with us. Then I found out it was not just me. No one moves here looking for conflict, But we found it!

I will tell all with landscaping be sure someone is there to come back for problems. And when those stop and admire our job I remain polite and say Mansfield did the work.

You might have to wear a Helmet and Flack jacket but Steve will come back. That is something positive. I think?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I would advise you to get at least 3 bids and then decide on the one that you think will do you the best job. Do not pay until the job is finished.
Good advice from JJ. We did get a quote from Mansfield, but ended up using Terrascape on CR 301. They are excellent, very professional, no drama. The Nursery manager, Bonnie, really knows her stuff. Working with her is a pleasure.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The April issue of the VHA newsletter, The Villages Voice, has a great article from Seniors Vs Crime on how to deal with landscapers. It is well worth a look. You can find it on their web site at The Villages Homeowners Association. Once on their home page, simnply click on the link across the top of the screen to The Villages Voice and select the April 2011 issue to find the SVC article called "Don't Get Cleaned Out By Spring Cleanup".
good info
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.