Mansfield Nursery...never again!!!

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2021, 07:56 AM
Sage
Default Steve

I was one of the people who used and liked Steve very much. In fact, everyone I knew who used him loved him. Does he have an "interesting" personality? Yes! I believe there is a reason for that, but not for me to go into it.

Steve, is different. He is also honest. We all (the people who hired him) have stories of how he went above and beyond when he did our landscaping. Gave us more than we thought we were getting. He was fast and the most part HONEST!!!! He NEVER cheated anyone. In fact, there was one time the he realized he overcharged someone and brought the money to me to take to the client. The client was moving and upgraded his landscaping to sell his home. He didn't know and was surprised when I gave him the money.

Everyone who got through the initial contact, loved him. Everyone that I knew who used him loved him.

The people who don't like him are the people who never used him. Many of us could see that maybe, there was something more there than, rude. Sometimes people are born with conditions that appear rude. It's their personality. I believe Steve is a genius. I am surprised that he wrote something down on his hand. When I knew him, he remembered EVERYTHING. EVERY detail. He never took any money unless you were completely satisficed.

So, I was one of the people who defended him. I guess I still am. I got NOTHING from it . NO Discount for writing a review. I never heard of anyone getting a discount from writing a review.

I was accused of working for him. It never happened. It's 10 years later. I haven't seen Steve in a long time. At the time I used him, his prices and his work were better than the companies that had slick sales presentations.

Don't get me wrong. I have a high regard for many of the landscapers in The Villages. I just happen to know that if you want someone who isn't going to take you. Steve is the man. I don't think his personality will let him lie to someone.

I know I will get slammed for this. It's OK.

Again, all these bad reviews are by people who have not used him. I'm sure there has to be someone who did use him that wasn't happy... they are far and few between.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:04 AM

My experience as well. I wouldn't hire him for a job if he was the only one in the business...period.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We had Steve Mansfield come out to do an estimate for a substantial re-do/upgrade of 17 year old landscaping.

In my 85 years I assumed I had met the most of many different characters in business.

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!

Most rude, impolite, self assuming, bombastic boar!!

No notes.
No measurements.
A for show scribble of a note on his hand.
Has your number written on his finger.
Does not want to hear that you are getting other quotes.
Once he gives you his outta the ballpark number, he continues to add to it with other details that come into his head.

Tells you to your face you have until he steps off your property to accept his offer....as he turns and walks to his truck.

I am struggling to remain polite.

I just read the TOTV posts about him from 2011.....most say the same as the above.

He is the owner and obviously doesn't care.

Steve is the classic vendor that is so busy he does not have to respect the customer.

This is the first time I have ever written any business up as my tolerance for rude and crude is pretty high (for many reasons).
There is no way to let this experience pass without fair warning to others. Yes he will have supporters....which I suspect are in the minority, but enough to do a good business.

We had the very same thoughts about this guy. Thankfully, it was over the phone or it could have been uglier. We went with Swilley and Son Landscaping and they are fantastic. Be prepared to wait several months because they are in demand and have only one small crew. They work hard, clean up every day when they’re done and do wonderful work. My next door neighbor called them and hired them after seeing our results. Life’s too short to work with buttheads!
Old 11-14-2021, 08:18 AM
Default Same Horrible Experience

We encountered similar terrible behavior from him 9 years ago. I too had never before or since interacted with such a belligerent, rude, and unprofessional person. When we told him we were deciding from quotes between lvendors he upped his nastiness, belittled any other vendor and then told us to leave. I was appalled and would warn anyone that asks me for a landscaper reference to definitely avoid him.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:19 AM

The neighboring town is not named Belleview by coincidence - Mr Steve won’t have far to travel
Old 11-14-2021, 08:21 AM

My neighbor used him and was very disappointed with him and the process. There were problems and Steve was nasty about it. Also planted Sylvester’s with the plastic still wrapped on the bottom trunk. The tree died and the problem was found when a different Landscaper removed the tree.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:22 AM
Default Goney's is worth calling!

Quote:
We had Steve Mansfield come out to do an estimate for a substantial re-do/upgrade of 17 year old landscaping.

In my 85 years I assumed I had met the most of many different characters in business.

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!

No notes.
No measurements.
Once he gives you his outta the ballpark number, he continues to add to it with other details that come into his head.

Tells you to your face you have until he steps off your property to accept his offer....as he turns and walks to his truck.

I just read the TOTV posts about him from 2011.....most say the same as the above.

Steve is the classic vendor that is so busy he does not have to respect the customer.

This is the first time I have ever written any business up as my tolerance for rude and crude is pretty high (for many reasons).
There is no way to let this experience pass without fair warning to others. Yes he will have supporters....which I suspect are in the minority, but enough to do a good business.
We just moved to TV in June. We got four different bids for total yard re-landscaping. We settled on Goney's and have been spectacularly pleased! Not only have they done an exceptional job, but their bid was fair. Additionally, the owner, Wayne, met with us numerous times as we prepared our plan. He always gets back to us when we call or text him and is a wonderful person! We recommend Goney's without reservation!
Goney's Landscaping
Owner, Wayne Goney
(352)753-7007 office
38112 Arlington Ave
Lady Lake
Old 11-14-2021, 08:23 AM

And what does the "value" of the quote have to with his attitude and presentation
Old 11-14-2021, 08:27 AM

Stay away from pauls nursery on 466 he is horrible as well
Old 11-14-2021, 08:29 AM
Default Mansfield

I used him several years ago. He did what he wanted, not what I wanted. He was rude and obnoxious to me when I complained and left me in tears. I had to hire another company and spend a lot more to fix what he did badly (a water feature that kept leaking among other things). Initially I was told to leave good review to get a discount. I left a bad review which prompted him to leave me a nasty voicemail message. Horrible experience.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainpd View Post
And what does the "value" of the quote have to with his attitude and presentation
In this case, a lot. I wouldn't accept any quote from this company.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainpd View Post
Really!?
For many of us what you say and do describes who you are.
No need to restate all the unprofessional behavior of Steve Mansfield.......AGAIN!
Old 11-14-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc1991@aol.com View Post
We just moved to TV in June. We got four different bids for total yard re-landscaping. We settled on Goney's and have been spectacularly pleased! Not only have they done an exceptional job, but their bid was fair. Additionally, the owner, Wayne, met with us numerous times as we prepared our plan. He always gets back to us when we call or text him and is a wonderful person! We recommend Goney's without reservation!
Goney's Landscaping
Owner, Wayne Goney
(352)753-7007 office
38112 Arlington Ave
Lady Lake

We also spoke with Wayne at Goneys and were very happy with him and the company. Very nice people. One of our friends used them and were very pleased also. We just got a lower bid from Swilley for the work and my brother had used them and raved about them. You can’t go wrong with either of these companies, in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,194 Times in 761 Posts

Thanks for the info, will put him on my " Don't bother list "
Old 11-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Veteran member
Default one of the worst

Does exactly nothing you expect ot be done ...

doesnt stand up for work - says wait till next year... and not terribly pleasant.

I dont know how he stays in business.

Quote:

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!

No notes.
No measurements.

Closed Thread

Tags
mansfield, number, steve, steps, care

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.