Maybe uninformed tree and bushes question

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2023, 06:02 AM
Default Maybe uninformed tree and bushes question

Is there a company that would cut down 2 trees on my property and keep the wood for firewood as payment.
Is there a company or person who would like to come to my front yard and dig out 3 mature but beautiful bushes. And keep them as payment. They are green leafy with bright orange blossoms. All 3 about 5 feet tall.
Believe it or not in MD there are companies who do just what I am asking.
Contact me if you would like more details 443-602-5080
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20231113_105221.jpg
Views:	2687
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	101161   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20231113_104755.jpg
Views:	2711
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	101162   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20231113_105133.jpg
Views:	2693
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	101163   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20231113_105209.jpg
Views:	2696
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	101164  

Last edited by Arbud; 11-13-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbud View Post
Is there a company that would cut down 2 trees on my property and keep the wood for firewood as payment.
Is there a company or person who would like to come to my front yard and dig out 3 mature but beautiful bushes. And keep them as payment. They are green leafy with bright orange blossoms. All 3 about 5 feet tall.
Check with ARC, some areas have restrictions on cutting trees down especially if the trunk is over 4 inches, and Oaks need special permission. A call to Tree Frog may clear this up if you know the type of tree.

You might get more interest if you can provide pictures of the bushes, and the size of the trees.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Check with ARC, some areas have restrictions on cutting trees down especially if the trunk is over 4 inches, and Oaks need special permission. A call to Tree Frog may clear this up if you know the type of tree.

You might get more interest if you can provide pictures of the bushes, and the size of the trees.
I thought somewhere reading that ARC removed the 4" restrictions on cutting down trees. Didn't pay much attention to it, so I might be wrong with the details. Seem to recall no approval needed now.
Don't take this as fact - please confirm. It could make the process easier.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

I’m going to guess there is more demand for firewood in Maryland than there is in Florida, so the economics may not work in FL.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:13 PM

Probably right about the need for firewood down here. But I did look and saw people selling it.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Airbud,

Looks like a major project on the trees, and IMHO, I would want a licensed and INSURED contractor working on this. The bushes you could DIY or have someone else dig out. Be careful, there are probable irrigation pipes in the area. Also, I would be very careful about the trees, IMHO, these should be cut down in pieces so they do not fall on adjacent houses.
I am sure you will not get this done for nothing, and the eventual cost will be a few hundred dollars.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Arborists frequently joke about people with such requests. No arborist is going to take down a standing tree that needs to be carefully dropped and accept payment in unprocessed wood that needs to be bucked, split and seasoned before it's worth anything, which is especially questionable in Florida.

A typical arborist disposes of tree material on a daily basis, even in areas up north where many people heat their homes with wood.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:38 PM
Default Tree Trimmer

Michael's 352-504-1597
Fruitland Pk.
35 ft bucket
will pull or grind stump
Took down my 25 ft Queen
Old 11-13-2023, 11:11 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Good luck, never heard of that here in Florida. We moved here from south Florida, thought perhaps firewood may be popular here (in south Florida we grew up thinking this part of Florida is "cold", LOL ! I can tell you my neighbor just got a bid on taking down his 3 queen palms (not really a difficult task since palms "trees" are actually plants, but the bid for his 3 queen palms, about 10 and 12 feet, 4-6 inch "trunks" was $300 without "stump grinding". If they were hardwood trees, can't imagine how much it would cost ! ! I agree with those who said to make certain ARC will allow it. You do not want to join the ranks of those who thought they could get by without applying to arc. Had a neighbor who did that without permission, what a mistake that was.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:18 AM
Default Good Lick!

I had a 30 ft. Washingtonian Palm removed last year and had three bids - $1850 - $1400 and $750. One said it had termites...one said it had been struck by lightning.
If OP's trees were black walnut or redwood, a contractor might do it for the board feet, but with all the wood being generated south of 44, I doubt that all that work would be worth $55/face cord.
Quote:
Airbud,

Looks like a major project on the trees, and IMHO, I would want a licensed and INSURED contractor working on this. The bushes you could DIY or have someone else dig out. Be careful, there are probable irrigation pipes in the area. Also, I would be very careful about the trees, IMHO, these should be cut down in pieces so they do not fall on adjacent houses.
I am sure you will not get this done for nothing, and the eventual cost will be a few hundred dollars.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Arbud, you are not in Kansas anymore. You live in Florida now. Can't cut down an oak tree more than 4" around. You will need ARC approval or be fined big time. To find a company to take firewood as payment, good luck. Not happening here. But, you can call several landscaping businesses and ask them.
Old 11-14-2023, 07:44 AM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

True story. In the mid 70s a group of workers pulled up to our home in Hudson, Fla, and said we will purchase your pineapple palm for $500 dollar. Off it went to Disney!
Old 11-14-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara828 View Post
Michael's 352-504-1597
Fruitland Pk.
35 ft bucket
will pull or grind stump
Took down my 25 ft Queen
And likely sold that mature, ready to place Palm for more than you paid for its removal.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:

One of the trees is a Golden Shower Tree. Pretty, but it attracts hordes of bugs that stain red when squashed. The other is a large, single-trunked Crepe Myrtle. | Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants | University of Florida, IFAS

To answer the OP, those trees aren’t very big around, wouldn’t offer much firewood, and aren’t the types of trees known for providing top grade firewood. (Most oaks but not the kinds grown in Florida, and also ash, hickory, maple. But there isn’t much of a market for firewood in Florida.

Meanwhile, residents of The Villages don’t look kindly on simply felling trees at the base, possibly damaging driveways and streets, lawns, houses, irrigation systems. That means that the trees are cut and lowered to the ground piece by piece. It’s dangerous and requires skilled workers who can handle the rope systems, have great balance, and can use chain saws high in the air. Then the wood is often picked up by specialized machinery, placed in big trucks, and taken away. Then homeowners expect stumps to be ground down or removed and a thorough cleanup. All that costs money. I’d be surprised if you can find a bonded and licensed arborist to remove those trees for under $1,000. Maybe $2,000. You pay that and you give the company the trees. If there is any wood worth cutting for lumber, it will be sold. If there is any wood worth selling for firewood, it will be sold for splitting and drying. Any soil will be screened and sold. All the branches will be ground up and sold as mulch. Pretty much everything is recycled somehow. The companies that do this need big equipment and lots of room and need to turn a profit. What We Do | Gaston's Tree Debris Recycling

I used to have a house on 8 acres of mature forest. I once sold off all the trees more than 24” thick at eye level. All desirable straight lumber wood (red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black oak, tulip poplar, sycamore, maple). As I recall, the company took about sixty trees for lumber and paid me about $6,500. They left the stumps and the crowns and curved limbs behind and deep ruts and trails where the big machines came through.

So, no, you won’t find any company that will cut down those trees in exchange for firewood. Meanwhile, that’s a beautiful crepe myrtle. I’d say, instead of simply cutting it, hire a company to cut the limbs back to a pleasing pattern, taking off twenty feet of growth. And leaving the bare branches that are around 4”. New thinner shoots will grow from those limbs and will be less overwhelming and shorter and will bloom for four months a year. This is much cheaper than removing the tree.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4496.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	101179  

Last edited by MandoMan; 11-14-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Check with not only ARC but with local government. Town, city, county also.
Closed Thread

Tags
payment, company, bushes, blossoms, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.