Moths in my tree and grass/or grass?

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2021, 08:43 PM
Default Moths in my tree and grass/or grass?

I have been watering my grass a lot, with hose, every other day, all month. Looks great. However, I notice beige colored moths flying out of the grass and also a bush in front of my lanai. Any idea what these moths want with my greenery and how to get rid of them? All suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks😎
Old 05-27-2021, 04:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Sounds like web worm, call Heron 352-458-4912, we use their service every other month (their suggestion) $60
Old 05-27-2021, 06:29 AM
Default Sod Webworms

Yes, Sod Webworms are what you see. The moths themselves do no damage but the grubs sure do.
The moths flutter and fly around in an unpredictable manner dropping their eggs.
sod webworms - Google Search

Last edited by HiHoSteveO; 05-27-2021 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Web worms - I am currently fighting them - need to treat grass - they cause your lawn to appear drought damaged.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:09 AM
Default sod web worms

Thanks for your responses. I was afraid I'd need to call a pest control person for this problem. Or ....... is there a way I can treat my small area myself? Can anyone recommend a product - and where to purchase it? Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:55 PM
Default Treat with "Sevin" granules from Home Depot, Lowes or Ace Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
Thanks for your responses. I was afraid I'd need to call a pest control person for this problem. Or ....... is there a way I can treat my small area myself? Can anyone recommend a product - and where to purchase it? Thanks again.
Quick and Easy to treat them yourself. Might as well learn to do it as they'll likely be back in the Fall and maybe again next year.

Sprinkle "Sevin" on the lawn in the amounts suggested on the bag. Depending on how big of an area, use protective gloves or a small handheld spreader. Probably don't need a regular drop spreader with the tiny lawns around here.
They also make a liquid to spray on lawn.
Go to Ace hardware and ask. They are very helpful.
Also available at Lowes and Home Depot.

https://www.gardentech.com/products/...nsect-granules
Old 05-28-2021, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl08 View Post
If you are paying for a pest company, call them, ours has been out twice in two weeks. No charge.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:22 PM

OK. This is getting really problematic. I have not used Sevin but will try that next. I did use Spectracide Triazicide two days ago and watered down the lawn afterwards. Now, I have more moths than ever in my bushes. When I hit the bush with a broom, it looks like an alien invasion of moths. I know the treatment should get the sod web worms, BUT WHAT ABOUT THESE PESTY MOTHS?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:03 PM

Need to spray the bushes with almost any insecticide. Use a bottle with a hose connection. Lowes, HD, Ace
Old 05-30-2021, 07:54 AM
Default Hope this works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
Need to spray the bushes with almost any insecticide. Use a bottle with a hose connection. Lowes, HD, Ace
Thanks for the advice Neils. I actually picked some up yesterday and plan to treat tonight. I initially used Spectracide granules for the lawn but that doesn't work in the bushes/hedges. Turns out my friend in Hadley has the same moths, hundreds of them, in her greenery. They hide in there. Will try the same treatment on hers. Will report back if this is a success.

Tags
moths, grass, greenery, idea, rid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.