Mums

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Default Mums

Do you have the flower Mums they bloom in the fall. We have them in Missouri.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Platinum member

Yes we can grow them here. Some varieties do better than others.
If you want to grow them as perennials, U/FL suggests the Korean cushion mums or Chrysanthemum Pacifica, which has yellow blooms and variegated foliage- adds interest in the garden when not in bloom.

They recommend mixing compost into the planting hole and choosing a full or semi-sunny location where they will have complete darkness at night for the best bloom. (no lamp post or street lamps)

I used (mail ordered) Belgium cushion mums up North- always planted babies in the spring, not fall, to give them time to establish. They were spectacular and did not require the pinching that some mums do. They were 7 years strong when I left.

I like the cushion mums as they are semi- dwarfs, multi branched and do not splay out as they grow.

Often, neighbors here consider Chrysanthemums as annuals, displaying them in cachepots for the Sept- Nov season, then discarding them after the bloom and changing them out for Poinsettias.

BTW, to the forum!
Old 04-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Smile Thank you for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Yes we can grow them here. Some varieties do better than others.
If you want to grow them as perennials, U/FL suggests the Korean cushion mums or Chrysanthemum Pacifica, which has yellow blooms and variegated foliage- adds interest in the garden when not in bloom.

They recommend mixing compost into the planting hole and choosing a full or semi-sunny location where they will have complete darkness at night for the best bloom. (no lamp post or street lamps)

I used (mail ordered) Belgium cushion mums up North- always planted babies in the spring, not fall, to give them time to establish. They were spectacular and did not require the pinching that some mums do. They were 7 years strong when I left.

I like the cushion mums as they are semi- dwarfs, multi branched and do not splay out as they grow.

Often, neighbors here consider Chrysanthemums as annuals, displaying them in cachepots for the Sept- Nov season, then discarding them after the bloom and changing them out for Poinsettias.

BTW, to the forum!
Thank you for the information
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.