My tree just up and died.

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Default My tree just up and died.

I have two trees. I took a picture because I don't know what kind of trees they are. One tree just went brown and lifeless seems like overnight and the other tree, is healthy and fine. Also a few weeks ago, this same thing happened to a beautiful pink Mandeville vine which grew around my lamppost on the other side of my house. The company that sprays for pests guessed a fungus in the soil caused that. Losing a vine is one thing but a tree is quite another!! Anyone have information to help?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	DeadTree.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	45283  
Old 10-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inwestside View Post
I have two trees. I took a picture because I don't know what kind of trees they are. One tree just went brown and lifeless seems like overnight and the other tree, is healthy and fine. Also a few weeks ago, this same thing happened to a beautiful pink Mandeville vine which grew around my lamppost on the other side of my house. The company that sprays for pests guessed a fungus in the soil caused that. Losing a vine is one thing but a tree is quite another!! Anyone have information to help?
Do you have a cloth weed barrier under the mulch? We lost two trees this year, a very very expensive Sylvester Palm and a grapefruit. Both expired and both had cloth weed barriers. When the trees were taken out the roots had grown up into the weed barrier looking for water, the nursery told us the weed barrier becomes clogged with soil and other debris and the roots come to the surface for water. Now whether this is true or not, I really don't know, but I do know both trees were very dead and very expensive to get out!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Platinum member

Could be many things, but here are a few things you may be able to investigate:

How long has the tree been planted there? Is there an irrigation head at the base of the tree?
Have you dug into the soil at all looking for excessive wetness or dryness or any unusual smell or evidence of fungus?

I planted a row of gardenia shrubs when we first moved here. They faltered after one year. Upon pulling them out, I found a whitish- fungus at the base of each root ball- must have been in the original soil ball around each plant.
I dug out further and found no other fungus (that I could see), but replaced a good portion of the surrounding soil.

I replanted with a different choice of ornamental plant and had no further problem. The new plantings are still thriving, 3 years later.

It could alternately be some sort of plant virus or insect infestation, or you may have a type of tree that is only marginally hardy here. I can not discern what kind of tree you have- but know that not all trees are susceptible to all viruses.

if it is a newer planted tree, I'd return to whomever you hired to plant it originally first- and see what they say.
The rootball of the tree may have been planted improperly to start with. There are numerous ways to plant badly and eventually the plant croaks.

Take your time and try to find out what the cause of the malady was before replanting in the same spot.
Internet research and county horticultural experts may be of help.
Sad to see a tree die.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Call the Sumter County Extension Office
The Villages Annex Office Address

8033 CR 466

Lady Lake, FL 32162

Phone

(352) 689-4668

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.