Name this weed please!

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Name this weed please!

I have a horrible invasive weed that wasn't here last year but this year has taken over my gardens. It is long, viney, long leaves and smells kind of like pumpkin when it pulled. Grows fast and chokes everything in it's way. I can't find the root because I have so much growing in my landscape, I would have to tear up shrubs to find the source.

What is this lousy thing and does anyone else have it?
Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage

picture would help
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Sage

picture would help
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

is it like creeping grass
Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post
I have a horrible invasive weed that wasn't here last year but this year has taken over my gardens. It is long, viney, long leaves and smells kind of like pumpkin when it pulled. Grows fast and chokes everything in it's way. I can't find the root because I have so much growing in my landscape, I would have to tear up shrubs to find the source.

Is it torpedo grass? We have it and Massey said it will die in the winter and then if you control it by spraying in the spring that would be the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	torpedograss.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	18700  
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran member

that is zoysia. isn't it?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Sage

No, it's torpedo grass and it's a pain to get rid of.

Torpedograss | Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants

However, we aren't sure if this is the weed asked about originally.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'd name is Arthur.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'd name it Arthur.
I think you got that wrong. Arthur is used for taking the temperature. His last name is Mometer.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubsgo View Post

What you really need to do, is take a sample to the Annex (corner of 466 & Morse Blvd)on Monday, to The Florida Extension Service (I think they are opened till 2:00pm) and ask them what the name of the weed it is, and what you do to get rid of it. They are very helpful there. I have some weeds like that, but only thicker blades (like St Augustine) and the shoots are thicker also. Grows so fast.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Sage

I have noticed something like that picture in my yard - seems to lay on top of the grass and for some reason the mower doesn't cut it. Same thing???
Old 08-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
What you really need to do, is take a sample to the Annex (corner of 466 & Morse Blvd)on Monday, to The Florida Extension Service (I think they are opened till 2:00pm) and ask them what the name of the weed it is, and what you do to get rid of it. They are very helpful there. I have some weeds like that, but only thicker blades (like St Augustine) and the shoots are thicker also. Grows so fast.
How to Kill Nut Grass in My Lawn | eHow

I think we may all have Nut Sedge Grass. I started to get it coming through my turf last year, it comes up like a bulb shooting up and when pulled you can see the small bulb on the base. It is extremely invasive and spreads throughout the whole area sending out roots underground. Scotts is my lawn company and they told me it is very difficult to control and is spread from yard to yard by lawn companies cutting lawn after lawn. I wait until mine get to a manageable size and then hand pull them.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
How to Kill Nut Grass in My Lawn | eHow

I think we may all have Nut Sedge Grass. I started to get it coming through my turf last year, it comes up like a bulb shooting up and when pulled you can see the small bulb on the base. It is extremely invasive and spreads throughout the whole area sending out roots underground. Scotts is my lawn company and they told me it is very difficult to control and is spread from yard to yard by lawn companies cutting lawn after lawn. I wait until mine get to a manageable size and then hand pull them.
The weed in the OP is not nut grass.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nut+...FoTT2QWtk4D4DA

If I'm not mistaken it's called St Augustine's Bent Grass which is not a weed at all unless you have another type of grass lawn.
https://www.google.com/search?q=st+a...&sa=1&tbm=isch

Many lawns in the Villages and in much of Florida are planted with St Augustine's. It is not the type of grass we are used to in the north. Up there we called is crabgrass, but I think that even crabgrass is different.

I believe that there is a weed and feed fertilizer that will help to reduce and/or eliminate St Augustines. You could just check with Lowe's or Home Depot. I'd bring a piece of the grass with you and show it to someone over there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.