Need expert advice on trees and shrubs

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Default Need expert advice on trees and shrubs

We have a comprehensive contract with Stellar that covers mowing, pest control, trimming, weeding, etc. We need advice regarding some of the trees and shrubs that are not doing well. It appears that Stellar does not have the expertise we need. A while back, a sabal palm died and we asked them about replacing it. They told us it will cost $1850; we paid $250 for the tree at the time the landscaping was done, less than a year before that, by another firm. The Stellar people didn't mention that if the tree that died was diseased, we shouldn't be planting the same kind of tree in its place.

Can someone recommend an expert we might consult regarding our plants?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM

We have Stellar taking care of our yard. We use to have them do everything but after they told us our palm had crown rot and needed to be replaced (for $1,000), I called Ron Barto to come and look at it. It did not have crown rot and just wasn't being fertilized! Now I have Ron take care of all my plantings. He is excellent! His phone number is 352-223-0439.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

The University of Florida has an Agriculture Extension Office in The Villages. Their service is free (I think). They are located in the Government Annex Building at Morse and CR 466 but not open every day and I am not sure which days they are open. Take a few pics, take some samples cuttings, and go visit them. it costs nothing and they may offer some valuable advice.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The University of Florida has an Agriculture Extension Office in The Villages. Their service is free (I think). They are located in the Government Annex Building at Morse and CR 466 but not open every day and I am not sure which days they are open. Take a few pics, take some samples cuttings, and go visit them. it costs nothing and they may offer some valuable advice.
yes the services are free. The University of Florida Institute of food and agricultural sciences has extension agents in every county in Florida. Their job is to educate the commercial and residential growers have any kind of plant as to its care, including what plant plants to use where, specific identification of pests and diseases, soil and pH analysis, irrigation, pruning, you name it.

soil pH analysis cost two dollars and there's a higher fee for specific analysis of nutrients in the soil.

The Annex offices are located at 466 and Morse Boulevard behind the police station. Hours of operation are Monday 9 to 3. The regular offices are located in Bush Nell, where they are open 8 to 5 Monday through Friday. And host other plant clinics there as well
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.