Neighbor landscape nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Sage
Default Neighbor landscape nightmare

So, we buy a wonderful lot on the golf course. Although we are set back and down a bit from being level on the course, we still have a nice view. Our new neighbors, as we speak, have landscapers on their property, plotting out their landscaping. Mind you, they have two big dogs. They have been talking to the landscapers about putting in bushes/hedges all around their property to make sure the dogs stay on their property. They have mapped it out with the paint. We have a few problems with this.....first, we believe that you aren't supposed to have anything up that resembles a fence, which is what he is trying to create with his shrubs. Second, this must mean he is going to let his dogs out without a leash. Third, the bushes will block our view a great deal! As you can imagine, we are extremely upset with all of the above. We will keep an eye on this and certainly report them if any of The Villages landscaping laws or pet laws are broke. You will probably suggest talking to them.....we already did but they are in the mindset that the rules don't apply to them. Oh, we also hear the dog bark inside the house on a daily basis. It's just great for relaxing on out lanai.......We are not so Happinow.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Gold member

I believe the landscaping has to be approved here in The Villages. I know we had to submit ours. There is a district office up by Laurel Manor where you take in the form and the landscaping design.

Maybe they are going to do invisible fencing for the dogs and using the shurbs to help.

I understand how you feel about losing your view especially when you pay a premium for those lots.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikitv View Post
I believe the landscaping has to be approved here in The Villages. I know we had to submit ours. There is a district office up by Laurel Manor where you take in the form and the landscaping design.

Maybe they are going to do invisible fencing for the dogs and using the shurbs to help.

I understand how you feel about losing your view especially when you pay a premium for those lots.
The company that was painting the boundaries was a landscaper not an invisible fence company. That would have been the correct thing to do.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM

I am sorry to here this, your own landscaping appeared quite beautiful. It would seen that hedges, as you feel they are considering, would block their view as well. Hopefully it will not be as bad as you think. It may be worth another conversation with them, although I know you do not think so.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

The correct thing is when a representative comes out and marks ALL your underground utility lines, electric, phone/cable, water, gas etc. I believe they are dispatched from District.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynbod View Post
I am sorry to here this, your own landscaping appeared quite beautiful. It would seen that hedges, as you feel they are considering, would block their view as well. Hopefully it will not be as bad as you think. It may be worth another conversation with them, although I know you do not think so.
They sit directly level with the golf course so it will not hinder their view a bit. I thought that when we signed our papers to build and live here we signed something that said you cannot use hedges/bushes as fences and your dogs had to be on a leash at all times. I believe, the sole purpose for his landscaping is to build a "fence" out of bushes to have a place for his dogs to run. That would be against the policies of TV.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
They sit directly level with the golf course so it will not hinder their view a bit. I thought that when we signed our papers to build and live here we signed something that said you cannot use hedges/bushes as fences and your dogs had to be on a leash at all times. I believe, the sole purpose for his landscaping is to build a "fence" out of bushes to have a place for his dogs to run. That would be against the policies of TV.
When we closed on our home I think we were given a manual of Covenant Rules. Perhaps this hedge fence and unleashed dog issue is addressed someplace in this manual.

I can sense your distress and by no means do I intend to make light of your situation. Having read so many of your posts during the planning of your home, I hope this can be worked out to your satisfaction.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Sage

Hedges are allowed but must be kept trimmed to no more than 4 feet in height. There are also some guidelines on setbacks for rear and side property lines. Suggest you call the deed compliance office to see if he has an approved plan on file and if not suggest they send an inspector out to ensure all requirements are being met.

Good luck.

We had a neighbor plant about 6 bottle brushes on side property line and we and they make sure the hedge stays at 4 feet so as to not block our view.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Here is some VCCD guidlines regarding landscaping. In short, I dont think these will help in your problem. Landscaping needs to be approved ONLY to the point of making cetain resident is not planting in a Special Easement area. Specific lot deed restrictions/plots will control each specific situation. Bush height should be 48 inches tall and it is only "Suggested" that bushes be planted 2-3 feet from property line. Also note the bold Florida Statute below

4.10 Landscaping
*Note: Florida Statute 373.185 states: A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land. (Effective 7/1/09)

For Homes
1. Due to the diversity of the Deed Restrictions regarding landscaping it is
necessary to refer to the specific set of Deed Restrictions and/or Matrix.
Some Deed Restrictions state: “must be seeded or sodded”, “the lawn must
be sodded, or “to qualify as sodded, at least 51% of the yard area visible from the adjacent roadways and golf courses must be sodded
2. No vertical structures are allowed in an easement. This includes things that descend vertically, such as ponds or buried tanks.
3. It is recommended that landscaping/curbing be a minimum of 18” from the property line for drainage. Should access to the easement area be required, any damage to landscaping in this area is the homeowner’s responsibility.
4. Landscaping walls are allowed. It is recommended they be consistent with
the elevation of the homesite.
5. Due to the diversity of the Deed Restrictions it is necessary to refer to the
specific set of Deed Restrictions and/or Matrix regarding the height
requirement of 48” for hedges. It is suggested that this type of planting be
kept two to three feet away from the property line.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Happi, if I were you I'd pick up the phone and call the architectural review office, give them the unit and lot number of your neighbor, explain what appears to be happening and ask if this plan was approved by them. If you're on a golf course any landscaping must be approved by ARC. Maybe your neighbor only thinks it applies to the front yard. Or, you can wait till the project is complete, see how bad it is and then call the ARC. If it wasn't approved it may have to be ripped out.

And SoccerCoach, FYI it is not the district who sends someone out to mark utilities. The contractor or homeowner should call 811 who takes the info and sends someone out to mark your lines. However, from my own experience, many contractors arounds here don't think this is a necessary thing to do. We've actually ruled out contractors because they told us they "knew" where the lines were and there was no need to get them marked. Yeah right!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I know of several people who thought they had a nice view. One had a peek-a-boo sight line to the golf course, in two years it was gone. Other had nice view up and down the fairway, neighbors landscaping blocked the veiw.
If you are looking at a lot, think how a neighbors landscaping might effect that great view.
If the neighbor is not accomodating thru a discussion..........its probably a done deal. So much for having a nice neighbor.
Dogs on a leash is a county ordinace.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Not sure about the hedge but the leash rule is true....Your dog is suppose to be leashed anytime it is outside your home......Hedges can not be more then 4 feet tall in my village, I don't know if every village is the same.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Article 2.17 of the Sumter county Covenants and Restrictions may be worth reading.
http://www.districtgov.org/images/De...206/S6-105.pdf
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Sage

We just called the district and expressed out concerns. This is what they told us.....A property owner cannot in any way mark a boundry between properties with hedges or bushes. There cannot be a straight row of bushes or shrubs that separate any properties. You can plant shrubs, but not in a line to represent a boundry. And, a permit is required for any landscaping. As for the dogs, they must be on a leash at all times, even in your own yard, unless you have an invisible fence. The district told us that they would never approve this type of "landscaping" and when the landscaper starts the job, to call and make sure a permit has been obtained.

The homeowner told us last week that in order to keep his dogs in his yard, he was going to put in shrubs and bushes to create a fence area for them. He also told us that fences make good neighbors.

We know that the shrubs/bushes are intended to form a fence. We will see where this goes. We wish to keep the peace, but it seems these folks are doing a lot to make this impossible.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Call community standards if all else fails.

-oops guess you already did. Hope things get resolved. One of our neighbors put in a row between his lanai and the new home behind it. Guess that was okay. Shouldn't be from what you just said.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.