Neighbor landscape nightmare

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage

I think you need to not only be happynow but happy later.

Remember anything that's planted now will grow UP and get fuller, do you think they will keep those hedges at 4' in the future.

You really need to stop it before it begins the work, it sounds like your neighbors are a bit of a jerk not to talk it out with U, fine that's there prerogative.

It's your prerogative to file an inquiry into the review folks or whom ever to tell them what's going on. Ask them what the limitations are and get a clear understanding about getting this work must require an approval.

I see you posted at the same time, good you are on the right track.

I don't like the word "suggested" that can't be enforced?

Old 07-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is my understanding that people can build or plant with permission up to ten feet from the edges of their property.

If it will be a fact of life, than least said, soonest mended. They will continue to be your neighbors and living comfortably in a neighborhood is really important in the long run.

It is something for all prople who are looking at lots to remember if you are considering a lot with another lot running behind it. They can legitimatly put up a birdcage or plant things.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-12-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"A permit is required for all landscaping"........ A permit is required only to the point of the resident not planting on Special Easements. We all know, there are plenty of Row hedges out there to form a privacy fence.

In addition you will be faced with Florida Statute 373.185 states: A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land. (Effective 7/1/09)

This situation is unfortunate but its not as clear cut as what the District just told you.

I wish you the best of luck..........as others have said, please be tactiful in your discussions, for you will be living next to these people for a period of time. HOw long ......Umh!!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Gold member
Default landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
So, we buy a wonderful lot on the golf course. Although we are set back and down a bit from being level on the course, we still have a nice view. Our new neighbors, as we speak, have landscapers on their property, plotting out their landscaping. Mind you, they have two big dogs. They have been talking to the landscapers about putting in bushes/hedges all around their property to make sure the dogs stay on their property. They have mapped it out with the paint. We have a few problems with this.....first, we believe that you aren't supposed to have anything up that resembles a fence, which is what he is trying to create with his shrubs. Second, this must mean he is going to let his dogs out without a leash. Third, the bushes will block our view a great deal! As you can imagine, we are extremely upset with all of the above. We will keep an eye on this and certainly report them if any of The Villages landscaping laws or pet laws are broke. You will probably suggest talking to them.....we already did but they are in the mindset that the rules don't apply to them. Oh, we also hear the dog bark inside the house on a daily basis. It's just great for relaxing on out lanai.......We are not so Happinow.
Someone mentioned that you being on a golf course the Arch Review Board would have to approve the project. This is only partly true, the ARC must approve nearly every new or additional project whether it be on a golf course or not. We just went thru a problem with the home modification by a neighbor. Sadly, the ARC has very little authority to enforce anything unless it is specifically spelled out in the deed restrictions.There is a strict rule about animals being on leashes anytime outside the home, also there are rules that limit households to only one dog and the size of that dog. I suggest you go to the Villages Governmental Offices at Laurel Manor asap.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Check with Community Standards. They are part of the VCCD located at 1894 Laurel Manor Drive. Their # is 352-751-3912.

Sorry - missed the post above.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
"A permit is required for all landscaping"........ A permit is required only to the point of the resident not planting on Special Easements.
In addition you will be faced with Florida Statute 373.185 states: A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land.
Not sure if that is taken out of contents, it referrers to water conservation.

Read the entire statute

(3) Each water management district shall also work with the department, local governments, county extension agents or offices, nursery and landscape industry groups, and other interested stakeholders to promote, through educational programs, publications, and other district activities authorized under this chapter, the use of Florida-friendly landscaping practices, including the use of solid waste compost, in residential and commercial development. In conducting these activities, each district shall use the materials developed by the department, the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at the University of Florida, and the Center for Landscape Conservation and Ecology Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program, including, but not limited to, the Florida Yards and Neighborhoods Program for homeowners, the Florida Yards and Neighborhoods Builder Developer Program for developers, and the Green Industries Best Management Practices Program for landscaping professionals. Each district may develop supplemental materials as appropriate to address the physical and natural characteristics of the district. The districts shall coordinate with the department and the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at the University of Florida if revisions to the educational materials are needed.
(a) The Legislature finds that the use of Florida-friendly landscaping and other water use and pollution prevention measures to conserve or protect the state’s water resources serves a compelling public interest and that the participation of homeowners’ associations and local governments is essential to the state’s efforts in water conservation and water quality protection and restoration.
(b) A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land or create any requirement or limitation in conflict with any provision of part II of this chapter or a water shortage order, other order, consumptive use permit, or rule adopted or issued pursuant to part II of this chapter.
(c) A local government ordinance may not prohibit or be enforced so as to prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The issue here is not about Florida-friendly landscaping ..............its about bushes.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
There is a strict rule about animals being on leashes anytime outside the home, also there are rules that limit households to only one dog and the size of that dog. I suggest you go to the Villages Governmental Offices at Laurel Manor asap.
Nope, two dogs are fine, any size. No problem with invisible fences either. They are approved.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

IMHO seems to me it would be a good idea to get this all settled with the powers that be before all the work was completed. It would save the person who hired the landscaper some money at the very least. Actually it would seem to me that the person who hired the landscaper would have this all settled with the powers that be before the landscaper even put a shovel in the ground.

Joaniesmom

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!

Last edited by Joaniesmom; 07-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
. There is a strict rule about animals being on leashes anytime outside the home, also there are rules that limit households to only one dog and the size of that dog. I suggest you go to the Villages Governmental Offices at Laurel Manor asap.
Warren is this a new Covenant in some of the newer Villages? We moved to The Villages because our Villages agent told us that two domestic pets are allowed per household, any size, and that is reflected in the material we received on closing. Also I don't believe that the "on leash" rule applies if you have invisible fencing.

I'd really appreciate hearing more about this new "one dog" rule.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Warren is this a new Covenant in some of the newer Villages? We moved to The Villages because our Villages agent told us that two domestic pets are allowed per household, any size, and that is reflected in the material we received on closing. Also I don't believe that the "on leash" rule applies if you have invisible fencing.

I'd really appreciate hearing more about this new "one dog" rule.
I believe it is a two dog rule and if you have three when you move to TV you can keep them but if one dies, you cannot get another third. Not sure but we bought in November and I think that is what I was told. We have two Setters. Thus we bought a villa...
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Amt of animals

We are in the process of buying new constuction in the Haciendas of Mission Hills. Our realtor told us 2 pets per household and there is no weight restriction.

10 more days to TV
Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

[QUOTE=graciegirl;520643]"...They will continue to be your neighbors and living comfortably in a neighborhood is really important in the long run..."/QUOTE]

Rules are rules and following them are important. However, is it more important to have neighbors you are on good terms with or neighbors you don't speak to or associate with? I agree with Gracie when she says "...living comfortably in a neighborhood is really important in the long run." Choose your battles wisely and with your future in mind.

I always think about some good advice given to me years and years ago. That advice was...if you consider this one of the worst things that can happen in your life then run with it. If it isn't one of the worst things that can happen in your life, then let it go. Best advice I've ever been given.

Think about it long and hard before you make your next move.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
We are in the process of buying new constuction in the Haciendas of Mission Hills. Our realtor told us 2 pets per household and there is no weight restriction.

10 more days to TV
Yup, you and me! Except I bought already there!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are absolutely correct that you can bring a 3rd pet but when they cross the Rainbow Bridge you can only have 2.

Last edited by JSR22; 07-12-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typos
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.