New landscaping tips

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Default New landscaping tips

Several homes in my neighborhood have started new landscaping projects. Here are a few things to consider before letting the work out.
1. Drip irrigation. When putting in shrubs and trees, it is worth considering drip irrigation to replace the existing sprinklers. New plants may block some sprinklers causing dry spots. Drip irrigation can save a lot of money over the long haul, but once mulch, rock, and plants are installed it can be costly to install.
2. Drip irrigated planters. If you are considering pavers, it is worth also considering large ornamental planters. Run a drip hose under the pavers and up through the planter for work free watering.
3. Landscape lighting. My observation is that landscape lighting makes a big difference. It is expensive but the least expensive time to do it is when the grounds are torn up for landscaping.
4. Widening the drive. It is easier to get the golf cart out of the golf cart garage if the drive is widened - at least the top few feet. The time to do it is before the new plants and trees go in.
5. Pavers on the drive. Most pavers are laid directly on the existing drive. They will break if you drive a 3/4 ton pick-up on them. (Ask me how I know!) Pay for a bed of sand, or better yet, mortar under the pavers.
Other folks can add to this list.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.