New to planting grass seed--some questions

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2021, 04:04 PM
Default New to planting grass seed--some questions

Hi, I've moved 26 times and this is the first time I've had to take care of my lawn myself. Had to sew some grass seed in some bare spots in the backyard today. (Lawn was aerated yesterday.) In this part of Florida, what is the best time of day to water? How long should I water new seeds? I have a non-motorized push mower (the old walk behind kind). Assuming it comes up, how long should I wait before cutting the new grass? I can set the height of the blades. Thanks!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-19-2021, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I hope you got matching grass, there are a couple (several ?) different types of grass in TV, you really need to keep the same grass type. Early morning for watering, I do not know the amount for new grass.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Hi, I've moved 26 times and this is the first time I've had to take care of my lawn myself. Had to sew some grass seed in some bare spots in the backyard today. (Lawn was aerated yesterday.) In this part of Florida, what is the best time of day to water? How long should I water new seeds? I have a non-motorized push mower (the old walk behind kind). Assuming it comes up, how long should I wait before cutting the new grass? I can set the height of the blades. Thanks!
My two cents worth for free.
You should visit the cooperative extension or perhaps ask a neighbor. The two most common types of grass in the Villages is the finer textured Empire Zoyzia and the courser
St Augustine. The required care is different for each including the proper cutting height.

Neither of these grasses are planted from seed. I think there is St Augustine seed it is not the same variety planted in the Villages. As far as a push mower. Unless you have a very small lawn you will not be at all happy with that mower.

Bare spots? I would take a sample to cooperative extension a photo of where it came from will also be helpful. Why the grass died is important. You must solve the problem first. If, you buy sod and install it without correcting the issue it will just die again.

The post is dated March. Empire Zoysia goes dormant in our pseudo winter. It is now mid April it is getting back into it's growth cycle
Old 04-11-2021, 03:47 PM

Thanks!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, long, lawn, water, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.