No Palm Allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2022, 03:21 PM

Why are you letting one person and one incident ruin your dreams? Do you really think anywhere you go will be utopia? You have probably worked hard your entire life. It is now time to enjoy your life. Don’t let one person’s action ruined your enjoyment. Enjoyment is a state of mind. Get a potted palm for your screened in porch or plant some smaller variety of palm and enjoy the retirement that you worked your whole life for!
Old 06-12-2022, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdifede313@aol.com View Post
Thanks! Now I’ve the reason NOT to move to TV. Who needs to have their lives dictated to?
Actually, thank YOU for deciding not to move here. There are already too many folks who seem to think that deed restrictions don't apply to them.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
Thank about transparency at the village. I will not to buy there
More like CAN'T move here for some reason. Many post on TOTV from someone showing great interest in TV. That is someone who clearly wishes they could live here.
Old 06-12-2022, 04:07 PM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

I feel for you. We had a similar situation recently. Helping my mother in law move in. Three weeks we were here off and on. No one said anything, welcome, hello, nice to meet you. Their bushes were growing over our sprinkler system… bushes were actually on our property. My husband trimmed the bottom on our side. The husband and wife came out screaming and I mean really screaming!!! They said they were calling the ARC committee, etc. My husband said do what you have to do all of your bushes are on our property. All of their blinds are closed and you can see where they look out at us. Very sad as they clearly have nothing else to do. Just mean people and no cause for this. Very cranky!
Old 06-12-2022, 05:11 PM

Sorry this happened to you. The power-hungry ARC (wonder how much $$ you have to pay them?). Then there are the b*tchin 🧌 trolls who have nothing better to do. My feeling is, fine me. I’ll be dead before they can collect. LOL
Old 06-12-2022, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskaggs View Post
Do you know who complained, or is it just the generic “jerk down the street”? My neighbor had someone complain about his beautiful landscaping, and I feel so icky not knowing who the rat is. Apparently it is someone that the community standards office knows well. I don’t think complainers, especially chronic complainers, should be able to hide behind anonymity.
To prevent serial-complainers from terrorizing their neighborhood.
Maybe, complaints from repeat complainers should not be acted upon unless at least two or three complaints are received about an issue.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post

Being a “wounded vet” or “90 years old” doesn’t give you any more or less ability to skirt the rules. Justice is blind or at least it should be.
Wow, you sound nice. I think being a wounded vet, who can't safely get out of his car, should get dispensation. I think a 90 year old widow, who has lived in a house for 30 years, and bought it that way, should be left alone. People like you, not so much.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I spent several years wintering here before I bought our home in TV. A major selling point for my wife and I, was the beautiful palms so many people had as part of the landscaping.

Even when purchasing our new home, the salesman assured me, that though I can't get that palm in my front yard, I could replace the ugly tree there with a palm after I closed, as so many other residents have . It seemed obvious the way it was done here.

Now, the AOC tells me I have to remove that palm I waited so long, and paid so much for.

Why? Because someone complained.

Special easement? No. But everyone , yes EVERYONE on my street has a palm in this same location?
Well, no one complained about them. "So , it isn't a problem big enough to do anything about, unless someone complains?" That is how complaint driven works.

This is where I started driving around, looking at how many homes were out of compliance. There are MORE OUT of compliance than IN!! Yep, I just got lucky and had this jerk down the street that doesn't have anything better to do, than police ME.. Why not the house RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM ME???

How far from the street do I need to move this tree? Not inside 15.5' ..... and if I put the lovely landscape wall around the tree at a healthy distance, the wall must be 16.5' from our little side street curb, moving the tree to 21'. the sylvester has a 12' frond spanning back 14' from the required setback and would now touch my house.

I guess the big screwing came from the sales team. Anyone want to buy a house.. with no palm tree, and a real jerk living a couple doors down with nothing better to do than stick his nose in your business?
Sorry that you are being impacted in what seems to be an inconsistent enforcement of the rules - although do we have all of the details? I'm a big proponent of rules as they keep our property values up, but rules need to be enforced on all properties, not just the ones that someone complains about. I would be a bit upset as well .... and I would still inquire as to why it's okay at some homes??
Old 06-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
Wow, you sound nice. I think being a wounded vet, who can't safely get out of his car, should get dispensation. I think a 90 year old widow, who has lived in a house for 30 years, and bought it that way, should be left alone. People like you, not so much.
Please cite your source for the “wounded vet who can’t safely get out of his car”, who needs a “dispensation”. Just curious.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No, I don’t think justice should favor or disfavor anyone based on veteran status or age. Justice should be blind to anything but the issue at hand. Giving favored treatment based on veteran status or age isn’t the way that community standards should work. We already live in a country of “special interests” that demand accommodations be made to them. Have to draw a line. Sorry buddy, veteran or not, you don’t get to ignore the rules.
Old 06-12-2022, 08:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I attended all of those meetings. You don't know the facts of the case. What you read in the on-line "news" site was not accurate.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Another issue for the recently declared Whiners club. I originally felt sorry for the OP but I can see the resentment from so many against any requirements. Plant your tree wherever you want. Block your neighbor prized view. Put it on a water drain easement. Block access to backyards of others. Plan it so your leaves and tree trash lands in other lawns.

But hopefully you won't ever complain when somebody decides to put up an ugly illegal fence on your shared property.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMSr View Post
In reviewing the ARC application form here a few things the OP failed to mention.
- The following paragraph entitled ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, INDEMNIFICATION, AND HOLD HARMLESS states as follows:

Property owner acknowledges ARC approvals and denials are made in accordance with the District’s adopted Rules, Standards and the information supplied by the property owner. It is the property owners’ responsibility to obtain all necessary permits, government approvals and maintain compliance with all governmental laws, water management district plans, and private restrictions, including but not limited to: building regulations, zoning regulations, plat requirements, permitting, and declaration of restrictions (collectively, the “Laws”).

- ARC applications are either (1) Approved with stipulations or (2) Denied for specific reason(s). One of these stipulations clearly states that “IMPROVEMENTS MADE WITHIN THE RIGHT OF WAY OR EASEMENT AREAS ARE MADE AT THE OWNER’S OWN RISK. THE DISTRICT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE, LOSS, OR INJIURY RESULTING TO OR FROM PERSONS, PROPERTY OR IMPROVEMENTS, REMOVAL OF IMPROVEMENTS, OR COSTS INCURRED AS A RESULT OF MAINTENANCE OR USE OF THESE AREAS.” Furthermore, said applications include the following statement: “Approval does not waive the property owner’s responsibility/liability for compliance with the Laws as identified herein and otherwise.”

As part of the original application process did the homeowner submit a site plan or boundary survey showing all easements with clear dimensions from the improvements to said easements or property lines? If not, how can it be said that they (the ARC) “missed” that the palm would be too close to the road? I’m sure the OP was paraphrasing when he stated “So even WITH approval, if someone complains the tree or landscape border is too close to the road, you have to move it”. Even though that is not the exact wording in the ARC application, his interpretation is essentially correct. Too bad he only paid attention to this after the fact. What part of “Approval does not waive the property owner’s responsibility/liability for compliance……” did he not understand.

I seriously doubt that the ARC has “waffled on their decision” as some posts have insinuated. It is far more likely that the application submitted for approval either did not contain sufficient information or contained erroneous information supplied by the property owner or his contractor. Too often property owners leave it up to their contractor to complete and submit the applications on their behalf without considering that it is solely the property owner’s signature that is legally binding.

Complaints about selective enforcement are a waste of time. Like it or not the system in most Districts is a complaint driven system. If a complaint is filed, it is investigated, and a violation is either confirmed or dismissed. Unless the process allowed some complaints to be investigated and others to be ignored, there is nothing selective in this process.

Every property owner owes it to himself and his neighbors to read and understand the rules and regulations and abide by them. Pleading ignorance is not now nor has it ever been a valid legal defense. Every property owner signed an agreement to abide by these rules and until they are legally modified, they are, as defined above, “The Law(s).

Stop whining and trying to blame everyone else and look into the mirror. There is a process to make changes but, until then, the current rules are what we agreed to abide by.

So ARC is just bunch of Bs jumping through hoops and in the end the approval means nothing.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Actually, thank YOU for deciding not to move here. There are already too many folks who seem to think that deed restrictions don't apply to them.
What difference does it make if ARC approval means nothing. Actually if lots of us k new all the in’s and outs we probably would of winged off the koolaid and be out.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

It should take as much work to file a complaint as it does to request approval of a change.

The complaint should be required to include documented evidence of non compliance and as much backup information about the property as it takes to make a change.

We had a false complaint for "unapproved" work completed by the developer prior to purchase. We were included in 36 complaints filed by one person.

It was dismissed but there was the time and aggravation receiving the letter from an attorney and showing the complaint was false.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, tree, street, wall, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.