Oak tree in front yard of patio villa?

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Sage
Default Oak tree in front yard of patio villa?

Hi!

I bought a patio villa in 2005 and it had a small oak tree in the front yard. The first thing I did was have it taken out and replaced with a Crape Myrtle. From past experience with oak trees, I knew that the yard was way too small for an oak. Why were they even planted in the first place?

Seven years later, I see my neighbors trying to do massive trimming of their oak trees (some of their trees are more than 7 years old). And little do they know that these trees are not to be kept trimmed into a round ball. It's just not healthy for them and there was a big article in the newspaper about this. The owners will spend tons of money, year after year, trying to keep these trees small, and it was never meant to be. It's a huge mistake.

The next biggest mistake is to have a Magnolia tree in the yard. They can grow to be very large in a relatively short time and will end up dropping a ton of large leaves (and something hard like cones from a pine tree). Not only will you be annoyed with it, but your neighbors will be annoyed as well, as the leaves will fly everywhere on a windy day. I know because I used to live next door to one. Of course they are cute as can be when they are small and the first few years you will say: "Oh, the leaves are no big deal." Ha! Just wait! Wait 'till it gets older and bigger.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Location: NYC, NY, Eastern Pa, Bergen County NJ, Buttowood The Villages
Default Trees

How do you like the Crape ? I hate mine I think they are ugly.... I was going to switch it out for a pine ?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zapper View Post
How do you like the Crape ? I hate mine I think they are ugly.... I was going to switch it out for a pine ?
A pine tree? Pine trees get very very tall. They will drop lots of pine needles, pine cones and branches. Pine needles can smother your lawn. If the branches spread out over the driveway, you might get tree-sap on your car. You will have the same problem if someone parks on the street. They are very cute when small but but lose their cutness when they get bigger.

Have you given any thought to planting a bottlebrush tree? I just noticed one planted in the front yard of a patio villa, right in the center. It looks good and I believe it would be easy to upkeep. It's slow growing and doesn't get too tall. I think I would prefer it to a Crape but mine is too big to switch out.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Sage
Smile

To answer your question: I'm satisfied with my Crepe Myrtle. It's not thrilling anymore, it's just there. I enjoyed it the most in the beginning because I got to trim and shape it. You have to decide what you want it to look like, and then trim it to take on the shape you want. Some Crepe Myrtles have one trunk and then branch out up-above. Some have multiple trunks. And some are kept short so as to make a bigger yearly display of blossoms. For anyone who is bothered by it not having leaves during the fall-winter period, then it's not for them.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Gold member
Default I agree

I am backed up to a fence line of huge Oaks and already have learned about their nasty little leaves.

Now I'm having to buy gutter guards.

I hear they suck huge amounts of water. And what does the landscape company do? Plant two more Oaks against my back fence.

They are going to be replaced very quick.

Any landscape company want to swap out a couple of trees?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.