Our Windmill Palm is not looking too good

Old 05-15-2024, 11:09 AM
Default Our Windmill Palm is not looking too good

Got it January 2023; Use Lesco 8-2-12-4 fertilizer three times a year.

I emailed the nursey with a picture and their reply was...that row of fronds is developing water rested in the center before they could open up and dry out, good news is there is new growth coming out that appears to be normal...

And that we shouldn't cut the brown leaves until they turn completely brown.

Not sure when and if we should just give up on it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6263.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	104124  
Old 05-15-2024, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,410 Times in 2,331 Posts

Contact Master Gardner and see if they have any information, I have seen them at Pinellas Plaza close to the library on some Fridays, but i am not sure of their schedule.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:56 PM

New growth is good news, but what led to its decline in the first place is the question.

It kinda looks overwatered to me, but yellowish/brown leaves could be other issues. I only say overwatered as it’s so close to the house/under roof line. Id also remove the rocks, they look kinda restricting on the trunk/rootball.

Toss or keep? Depends on how long you want to wait for it to rebound. If you don’t know why it declined in health, and did not do anything to diagnose/resolve, then it won’t fully recover. You can google how to care for “Windmill Palm” and check light, water, soil and fertilizer requirements.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:39 AM

Hard to tell, but looks like it isn't planted deep enough.
Is the plant firmly in the ground? As in, if you step beside the trunk and push down, does it lean?
Windmills are temperamental to less than proper planting methods more than most other palms.
If the depth is proper, the old "push a hose in the ground" around the outside of the rootball may help, but should be done by someone who has experience.
The vicinity to the wall and fence looks like it is in a crowded position as well.
A small chunk of concrete, limerock or asphalt against or near the roots are also common issues.
But you definitely have an issue that should be looked at by a pro.

If you call me at 352 303 8610, I will stop by and see what the problem actually is, and probably fix it for free.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:19 AM

I just moved one of these doing well on the west side of my house to the east side for more shade. Noticed is dried out in some leaves. I just cut them off because the rest of the plant was green and doing well. Put Manganese for yellowing of the leaves and palm food in a perimeter a foot outside the palm. Some of these types of palms get a black fungus sometimes. If you see black coloring on palms at the nursery dont buy them because they will continue to die. Slow growing.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:58 AM

Is there a reason for the pavers around the trunk?

Tags
brown, good, appears, coming, growth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.