Palm Tree

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2023, 05:41 AM

Funny, when I go to look at houses with no trees, the people are asking my why the plants look so unhealthy. Mimic mother nature, most small plants want to live under the canopy of a tree. Plus tree canopies cool the area. YOU add a bunch of heat with your driveway and shingled roof. ADD SOME TREE.
There was probably several trees growing on your lot before they cleared it. Do your part to replace the oxygen producers that were here before you got here. If you want a sterile environment, get an apartment.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Funny, when I go to look at houses with no trees, the people are asking my why the plants look so unhealthy. Mimic mother nature, most small plants want to live under the canopy of a tree. Plus tree canopies cool the area. YOU add a bunch of heat with your driveway and shingled roof. ADD SOME TREE.
There was probably several trees growing on your lot before they cleared it. Do your part to replace the oxygen producers that were here before you got here. If you want a sterile environment, get an apartment.
Good Point.
I read sometime back the city of Miami is asking to plant more trees that produce more shade other then palm trees.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:50 AM

The Pindo palm is another choice for our possible freezes.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:24 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

We have a beautiful Sylvester palm in our front yard. Neighbors love it and as they say “it’s Florida”! There is maintenance cost, as others have pointed out, but palms are good for the landscaping economy. That said, if I had a “do over” , I would go with a couple of Sabal palms - less maintenance and native to Central Florida. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We have a beautiful Sylvester palm in our front yard. Neighbors love it and as they say “it’s Florida”! There is maintenance cost, as others have pointed out, but palms are good for the landscaping economy. That said, if I had a “do over” , I would go with a couple of Sabal palms - less maintenance and native to Central Florida. Good luck.
Sabals are actually fairly high on the maintenance scale compared to other palms. LOTS of seeds that easily become weeds, then volunteer trees in the beds.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:17 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We planted a Sylvester palm but our landscaper helped us pick out a male tree which does not produce pods so does not require much maintenance.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, tree, traditional, cost, big

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.