Palm tree cost

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 AM
Veteran member
Default Palm tree cost

Own a patio villa. Want to replace the current root-bound unattractive tree with a palm tree. I've been reading about types of palms on here but haven't seen anything about how much these trees cost, and how much installation might cost. Anyone out there know anything about this?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

THis is not an easy question for you can get a queen palm to cost anywhere from $100 to more than $800 installed. A good size good quality queen is going to cost you at least $400 installed with guarantee. It all depends upon their size meaning not only height but also girth plus the size of your job will impact the price.(ie one tree $400...3 trees maybe $1000) The younger trees are more suspectible to the elements especially meaning the cold snaps we do get here in the winter. 2 and 3 winters past we had some really bad stretches of cold freezing weather that took a heavy toll on all tropical trees and shrubs......the older more established trees were most likely to survive but even they got hit pretty bad and some eventually died. Two-three degrees variance is common between north of 466 and south of 466A and if you are talking an outside temp of 30-32 degrees that is a major difference. So I would hope things will be better the further south you are. The same holds true for all other varieties of Tropical palms and for the most part they are more expensive to begin with than the queens...price is dependent upon its size and quality.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM
KittyKat

Better check your covenants & restrictions before removing a tree. You need ARC approval to remove a tree; I think the recent article by Erik Knudsen in The Daily Sun stated you can't remove a tree with a circumference of at least 12.5 inches unless it is diseased but you still need approval.

I'd stay away from queen palms--they're more for south florida & prone to disease. I don't know why the nurseries around here sell them. Erik will tell you that, if you notice, TV doesn't plant any. Also, don't plant palms too close to your house or driveway. Our neighbor found this out the hard way--had to have a mid-sized queen removed as it was buckling his driveway.

I would recommend a Sylvester, a Sabal or European fan palm; all cold-tolerant. Prices commensurate with size. I'd call Village Palms on 466 or McGowan's on Southern Trace behind Citizen's bank for quotes. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 AM

Another option for a medium-sized palm tree is the Mule Palm, which is a cross between the Queen Palm and the Pindo Palm. Many local landscapers are just now learning of the species.

Because it's seeds are dormant (hence the common name "mule"), the palm is time/effort intensive to propagate, thus limiting it's availability in large numbers at nurseries.
Consequently, the palm is a bit pricier than others but it may be a perfect choice for many of us in the long run, all things considered.

The site listed below is a superior resource for palm trees. I have not purchased any product from the vendor, so I cannot offer pertinent input in that regard. I am providing the address solely for convenience and easy referenence, and not as an endorsement of any type.

Mule Palm Tree, xButyagrus nabbonnandi, Medium Mule Palm
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Sage

Nice find, there is a grower near St Augustine,

Pics
Old 05-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Platinum member

I like the pindo palm. It is cold hearty, drout resistant and covers a large area. The second palm I like is the Sylvester Palm, whioch is also cold hearty and drout resistent.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

My neighbors planted two palms in front of their patio villa it looks a little strange because such little space
Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I like the pindo palm. It is cold hearty, drout resistant and covers a large area. The second palm I like is the Sylvester Palm, whioch is also cold hearty and drout resistent.
A bonus with the pindo palm is that it produces edible fruit.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Gold member

DO NOT GET A QUEEN PALM.
We had 10 put in and are now down to 3 because of a disease in FL.
Pay to put them in and pay to take them out; ouch.
My wife worked at Leu Gardens part time at the front desk and the professionals told her there is no cure. Found out after we put them in.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Default Prices vary, do some shopping!

Just like landscapers around here where estimates can range from 3K to 13K for the same project, palm tree prices can vary dramatically from dealer to dealer, as does installation. First issue is how big a palm are we talking, and can they get it back into your yard...most will not lift anything big over a Courtyard Villa wall.

In general, queens, sabals, and Washingtonians are cheap, pindos, ribbons, sylvesters, windmills, mules, and European (Mediterranean) Fans are expensive. Not much else is sufficiently cold tolerant for this area. Don't buy a Washingtonian for a Courtyard Villa, they grow too fast and get too big.

The cheapest palm prices I've seen is a place on 441 just south (I think) of 466A on the east side. Sorry I don't know the names, but there are 2 nurseries next to each other, the northernmost one (you have to turn right on a road off 441 to get to the entrance) is huge, fun to just walk around and look at all the palms they have. The one just south of that is small, but had the best palm pricing I've seen anywhere, and I've been to almost all of them.

For large pieces (i.e. 8 ft. of wood), another place that had some reasonable pricing was Citrus and Palms much further north on 441 in Belleview. On 301, both Fairfield and Terrascape have a nice selection but seemed pricier, as is Village Palms on 466.

Have fun with it!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Pindos are too big for a patio villa, and queens as stated don't make it.
Canary and Silvesters are also too big and busy for a patio villa.

I think Europeans are great, but more bushy than tall.
Windmills are beautiful, though tend to be a shorter tree (max 15 feet).
A Sabal is very pretty and it's florida's state tree.

S.McGowan Landscape & Design - Home has this and more.
a decent palm tree, installed, should run you $500.

you can pay more or less, depending on size and how you shop it.
I've done all the palms, twice! PM if you want to chat more.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Sage

In my opinion, and it's just my opinion from spending 59 years in Florida, most or all of you that move down here from the cold north have the idea that "it's Florida so palm trees". If you are seeing tourist brochures of palm trees in Florida, it's south Florida with coconut palms and royal palms. Our climate is much different than south of Lake Okeechobee and you have to have palms that can withstand freezing winters.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Pindos are too big for a patio villa, and queens as stated don't make it.
Canary and Silvesters are also too big and busy for a patio villa.

I think Europeans are great, but more bushy than tall.
Windmills are beautiful, though tend to be a shorter tree (max 15 feet).
A Sabal is very pretty and it's florida's state tree.

S.McGowan Landscape & Design - Home has this and more.
a decent palm tree, installed, should run you $500.

you can pay more or less, depending on size and how you shop it.
I've done all the palms, twice! PM if you want to chat more.
You really think a pindo is to big for a patio villa??? I am thinking of getting one and was told by 2 landscapers they will only get about 15 to 20 feet tall and have a girth of about 8 to 10 feet. I was thinking of getting one that is 6 feet tall and they said that because they grow slow it will be a long time before they get fully grown. Are they feeding a line bull to make the sale? love to hear comments.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Sage

they average 18'

The Villages Florida

you may want to get another opinion
Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
was told by 2 landscapers they will only get about 15 to 20 feet tall and have a girth of about 8 to 10 feet. I was thinking of getting one that is 6 feet tall and they said that because they grow slow it will be a long time before they get fully grown. Are they feeding a line bull to make the sale? love to hear comments.
That's kind of the reason I started this thread I don't want to get burnt.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.