Palm tree lethal bronze preventative treatment

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2023, 01:47 PM
Default Palm tree lethal bronze preventative treatment

Experience using oxytetracycline HCl (OTC) for the prevention of lethal bronze disease in palm trees?
Old 12-17-2023, 07:10 AM

Infections of this disease are very spotty (as long as your tree trimmer is actually and effectively sterilizing equipment).

All the testing in the last decade is reporting "effectiveness varies".

I don't know any "real" palm growers that use it, nor have I seen any of the trees for sale at the local brokers with the holes drilled for inoculating.

I have however, had a few past customers question me about some small lawn treatment companies at the door telling them their palm has the disease and needs treated for around $1200/year or it will die.

The medicine is available with no license and costs around $4 per shot retail.
If your tree already has the disease, it has an EXTREMELY LOW chance of saving it.
The results vary so much as preventative, no actual data is being published.

Because of the quarantine that would be in effect if lethal bronzing was actually "Texas" Date Palm Decline... Lethal Bronzing, Lethal yellowing, fusarium wilt, etc will be what you are told the problem is should your tree die around here.

The proper way to clean tools is flame. Alcohol was found quite ineffective.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:41 AM
Default Trying It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Infections of this disease are very spotty (as long as your tree trimmer is actually and effectively sterilizing equipment).

All the testing in the last decade is reporting "effectiveness varies".

I don't know any "real" palm growers that use it, nor have I seen any of the trees for sale at the local brokers with the holes drilled for inoculating.

I have however, had a few past customers question me about some small lawn treatment companies at the door telling them their palm has the disease and needs treated for around $1200/year or it will die.

The medicine is available with no license and costs around $4 per shot retail.
If your tree already has the disease, it has an EXTREMELY LOW chance of saving it.
The results vary so much as preventative, no actual data is being published.

Because of the quarantine that would be in effect if lethal bronzing was actually "Texas" Date Palm Decline... Lethal Bronzing, Lethal yellowing, fusarium wilt, etc will be what you are told the problem is should your tree die around here.

The proper way to clean tools is flame. Alcohol was found quite ineffective.
Thank you for your insights on the subject. I have completed the treatment of two palms (a Bismarck and a Canary). Will treat again in 90 days.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, lethal, bronze, disease, prevention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.