Palm Tree Privacy

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2023, 07:30 AM

FROM THE PRO:
The best choice (most desired area covered for the longest time frame at the least amount of maintenance for the least amount of money) is the 3-5 trunk Roballini. Get at least 1 trunk (or more) 4'. and make sure the tops are wida and lush. Seeing a lot of low grade Robi palms getting planted lately.

Bad choices: Ligustrum, bottlebrush, European fan palm, sugar palm, blinds. I could write a chapter on each as to why they are bad in the typical Villages back lanai privacy situation, but I have to go fix another poorly installed and designed (by a well known, professional landscaper) back yard landscape today.

If you go with shrubs, use podocarpus and push the line of shrubs away from the house towards the property line as far as ARC allows. Keep that airflow for the summer and visually enjoy as much of that expensive back yard you bought as you can.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camranhvet View Post
Be very leery of the 3 trunk robolini palm. They look great but do not hold up very well if a frost or freeze occurs. A very popular landscaper warned us about this but my wife insisted she wanted one. Enjoyed it one year then had to replace it due to frost and freeze damage.
People sadly make mistakes. The information is easy to find on the internet. Winters have been mild the past few years. This year killed and damaged many plants. The time you prune plants is important when you trim the plant it forces new growth that is subject to winter damage.

Mentioned by others VIBERNUM is tough as nails. Bottle brush there are many varieties. The drooping tree type is subject to wind damage. We have a bush, tree type and that too is tough as nails. There are also compact ones.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, tree, lanai, privacy, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.