Palm Tree Privacy

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2023, 06:50 AM
Default Lanai privacy

Our home had a viburnum hedge along the entire back of the house when built. We added a bird cage and rerouted the existing plants (With proper permits) and added a few more to allow for privacy along the extension made by the bird cage. We love both the privacy and at the same time the enjoyment of making friends of our neighbors.
Only draw back is the need for regular trimming.
Leave at least 4’ between the plants and the house to allow for maintenance and access.
PM me if you want
To see what it looks like.
PS. The existing bottle brush trees we have a scruffy in comparison to the viburnum. We are considering pulling them out and replacing them with more viburnum.
Old 05-22-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamilak View Post
My husband & I are looking to give ourselves a little privacy behind our lanai which is about 15 feet (more or less) from our neighbor’s lanai. They have shades but we are thinking along the lines of a small palm tree. We were thinking of a fan palm but landscaper suggested the 3-trunk palm tree.
Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks
sugar palms, we have three

depending on space, alternate sugar palms (high) with some type of fan palm (lower)

ask landscaper about using sugar palms alternating with something

good luck
Old 05-22-2023, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
First make sure you have ARC approval and good tap measure and think about maturity size You don’t want to have to take down once mature because it is over property lines.
I suggest Podocarpus and or blinds. Don’t plant anything that when it is mature will be up against your screen because hard to maintain, block breezes, and make you feel closed in.
Drive around older sections and see what you like when plant is mature.
Bottle bushes draw bees.
Good advice, valid points. I agree about getting approval. Been reading lately about “anonymous” busy bodies going around TV then making complaints about various violations.

And btw, don’t agree with doing that type of thing. These anonymous complaints included someone who painted a nice green color on her house borders but that was reported as a violation and she had to paint over it, and they fined her $2,500. Another case involved a complaint about someone’s hedges being too high, and she was forced to remove the plants, even though they were that high for years. Anyway, a bit off topic perhaps, but just underscoring approval issues, in case a neighbor or “anonymous” person raises an issue.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:07 AM
Default Shades

Shades do go up and down whenever you want.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:04 AM

Beautiful, yes, however
palm trees can attract palm rats and they can be difficult to trim.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:54 AM

We have a pindo palm in our front yard. Max height is 20'. It's the only cold hardy feather palm and tolerates temps as low as 5°F, which means it can grow as far north as coastal New Jersey and British Columbia. Fruits are edible and used to make jelly in South Florida, where this beauty is also called jelly palm. The only thing is, after about 5 years the fronds will be higher from the ground and you won't have privacy. We also have a viburnum hedge for privacy but it needs to be trimmed about 3 times a year. It's a fast grower.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:59 AM

Be very leery of the 3 trunk robolini palm. They look great but do not hold up very well if a frost or freeze occurs. A very popular landscaper warned us about this but my wife insisted she wanted one. Enjoyed it one year then had to replace it due to frost and freeze damage.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:27 AM
Default Hedge for privacy

Quote:
My husband & I are looking to give ourselves a little privacy behind our lanai which is about 15 feet (more or less) from our neighbor’s lanai. They have shades but we are thinking along the lines of a small palm tree. We were thinking of a fan palm but landscaper suggested the 3-trunk palm tree.
We have an incredible privacy hedge consisting of bottle brush trees at the corners, and ligustrum in between. All our neighbors benefit from the hedge, and yes it has to be trimmed maybe twice a year. Left alone it would surely hit 12 feet. We keep it at 6. It's completely frost hardy. We have no problem at all with bees, and the birds are very happy.
Old 05-22-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
We used bottle brush. Let it grow as thick and tall as you want for privacy. Cut it back whenever you want, great landscaping bush.
I like the look of bottle brush, but oh those bees that love them too!
Old 05-22-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Ligustrum shrubs give you the best privacy. less expensive and less maintenance than palm trees.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:10 AM

Podocarpus - if you look around The Villages, a lot of common areas use Podocarpus hedges for privacy.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Kenpoboy...bamboo has two types...invasive and clumping. Clumping does not spread and stays put. Invasive spreads all over and I think is not available here and not allowed to be planted. There are many common areas that have clumping bamboo here, just take a look around. It does offer lots of privacy.
Sorry to disagree, but "clumping" bamboo does spread. Started with a 1 foot circle, which grew to a 2 foot circle, to a 4 foot circle, etc. Eventually, had to have it dug out at @ 8 foot diameter. Though it provided privacy, as it expanded it got dirty, messy and became a haven for unwanted critters.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Another vote for ligustrum, a great privacy hedge
Old 05-22-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camranhvet View Post
Be very leery of the 3 trunk robolini palm. They look great but do not hold up very well if a frost or freeze occurs. A very popular landscaper warned us about this but my wife insisted she wanted one. Enjoyed it one year then had to replace it due to frost and freeze damage.
Im surprised as here in AZ I have one and we get lots more freezes than Fl does and mine does fine! HEAT high heat killed one actually
Old 05-22-2023, 10:33 AM

I had 6 palm trees on my property 15 years ago and they were gone in 3 years. Nothing but cleanup all the time.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, tree, lanai, privacy, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.