Palm Tree Privacy

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2023, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamilak View Post
My husband & I are looking to give ourselves a little privacy behind our lanai which is about 15 feet (more or less) from our neighbor’s lanai. They have shades but we are thinking along the lines of a small palm tree. We were thinking of a fan palm but landscaper suggested the 3-trunk palm tree.
Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks
Palm trees are beautiful but require quite a bit of maintenance. The fronds grow extremely large and heavy and must be removed by a professional at a cost. Just keep that in mind before you make your final decision.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
My husband & I are looking to give ourselves a little privacy behind our lanai which is about 15 feet (more or less) from our neighbor’s lanai. They have shades but we are thinking along the lines of a small palm tree. We were thinking of a fan palm but landscaper suggested the 3-trunk palm tree.
If you prefer to plant outdoor palm trees for privacy, the European fan palm or lady palm are two of your best choices. The European fan palm reaches up to 15 feet tall when mature and has a short trunk and dense crown. It forms an effective privacy screen.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
We used bottle brush. Let it grow as thick and tall as you want for privacy. Cut it back whenever you want, great landscaping bush.
It depends on the location. We have bottle brush plants on the east side. They have never filled in. We tried fertilizer and that didn't help. I think they need more sun to grow better. We have one in the front, west facing, and it is great.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:49 PM

Palm trees are a lot of work - I have the 3 branch one he described in front of my house. I would not suggest any the of palm trees. Other suggestions are much better. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2023, 01:14 PM

Podocarpus
Old 05-22-2023, 01:24 PM

2nd vote for Pindo Palm. Don't get Robellini palms (3 trunks) as they have the most nasty thorns (4" long). As stated earlier, Pindo's are cold hardy. I removed two Robellin's...look great, horrible to maintain!

Ligustrums are boring and ugly. Find a smaller plant you like and put nearer your lanai that will grow under pindo palm that should be put 6-8' from your lanai.

Camellias are nice. Beautiful flowers, slow growing and many like shade. Also consider Coontie palms, Easy plant, slow grower and can grow in sun or shade. Would be perfect under a pindo palm. Remember to consider the light you have and get the right plant for the conditions or you're wasting your money.

We planted a Philodendron for a similar reason and it has done well near our lanai with a pindo a little further out.

If you want boring --do a ligustrum or bottle brush.
Old 05-22-2023, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, I think there are hedges that would be much more suitable for privacy, but another alternative would be shades inside your lanai, we did this several years ago and works very well (no watering or trimming required).
I agree. Install a shade and paint a palm tree on it.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Ligustrum shrubs give you the best privacy. less expensive and less maintenance than palm trees.
Totally agree, and a good trim once a year keeps them looking good. It is easy to trim the flyers that grow towards the screen every few months or so. Way better than palms- palms will not give you privacy - you see right through them.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 05-22-2023, 05:18 PM

lanai shades....who does these type of shades and I assume they are water proof??? thanks
Old 05-23-2023, 04:20 AM
Thumbs up Privacy for Patio from nearby Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoboy View Post
Bamboo is an invasive species and bottle brushes are a nightmare if you decide to change to a different type of foliage. A hedge is always easy and can be shaped anyway you like…..holy, etc….
Not all bamboo is invasive. I have clumping type bamboo planted now for over three years. Has not spread. We prune it to keep off our pool birdcage screen. Great for borders, privacy.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickbent View Post
Not all bamboo is invasive. I have clumping type bamboo planted now for over three years. Has not spread. We prune it to keep off our pool birdcage screen. Great for borders, privacy.
Have had black clumping Bamboo for years in our UK garden.
Easy to maintain, and I get free Pole Bean canes every year.
Regarding the OP. I would go with villagetinker's suggestion.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:52 AM

lagustrom or a evergreen hedge,but you have to prune.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:48 PM
Default Palms?

Quote:
I would suggest you drive around the villages and look at the landscaping. You will get some great ideas.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:33 PM

I would suggest New Zealand red tea tree plants. Bushy and grow into small trees in a few years. Provides privacy from the bikepath even though they are only 4 feet tall and about a year old.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:37 PM
Default Bamboo, clumping.

Quote:
You will find that The Villages has effectively used clumping Bamboo in many places to provide privacy.
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, tree, lanai, privacy, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.