Palm trees

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Sage
Default Palm trees

What palms would you never buy/plant again?

What are your favorites?

If you can post a pic that would be helpful.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am told by a few seasoned, not seasonal,residents in our village that palms are a lot of maintainance, Palmetto bugs live in the scales of the trunks of some. (I THINK those are those BIG roaches) The bearded ones look half dead all of the time, and I don't like those. Some of the palms in the older area get VERY tall and they are certainly not shading anything. The palms seen in the landscaping of the public areas, put in by the developer are hardy and don't get damage from frost, but they also cost LOTS of money..(like a thousand each?) The more reasonable ones in cost that everyone buys are prone to frost damage, I am told.

Most people want palm trees because they are tropical and new, but I am sitting back and observing and listening. I love this forum. I want to hear from people who have lived here for awhile and not someone trying to sell me something, don'tcha know.

I like the ones in your picture Jimbo, are their trunks naturally that orange color, I wonder?

Excellent thread.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

We had a Sylvester Palm put in our front yard. The landscaper said it could withstand the cold. I surely hope he was right, as it was a little pricey. I don't have a picture yet because we haven't been back to our home in TV since the palm was planted.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile Don't know a palm tree from a potato chip

As above, don't know one from another. There are several at our new home. Should we sell or call in a back hoe? Hope this url works!

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/vls...s/211163_6.jpg

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am told by a few seasoned, not seasonal,residents in our village that palms are a lot of maintainance, Palmetto bugs live in the scales of the trunks of some. (I THINK those are those BIG roaches) The bearded ones look half dead all of the time, and I don't like those. Some of the palms in the older area get VERY tall and they are certainly not shading anything. The palms seen in the landscaping of the public areas, put in by the developer are hardy and don't get damage from frost, but they also cost LOTS of money..(like a thousand each?) The more reasonable ones in cost that everyone buys are prone to frost damage, I am told.

Most people want palm trees because they are tropical and new, but I am sitting back and observing and listening. I love this forum. I want to hear from people who have lived here for awhile and not someone trying to sell me something, don'tcha know.

I like the ones in your picture Jimbo, are their trunks naturally that orange color, I wonder?

Excellent thread.
Hi GG I ahd three queens planted in m front yeard when we first moved in and thaey came equipped with palmetto. One flew in my house. I called pest control and the guy told me not to be concerned because they only live 72 hours. I tod him it was 72 hours too long. He sprayed and I had him come back a year alter to spray again because my neighbor had her landscapper plant six queens. i have not had a problem since. My queens acascade so nicely and my neighbors have gone out o their way to tell me they enjoy them. They have stayed about the height of the house and are strong. Who knows what the future holds.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
Eternal Member

I love the Queen Palms. We have several of them.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinparadise View Post
We had a Sylvester Palm put in our front yard. The landscaper said it could withstand the cold. I surely hope he was right, as it was a little pricey. I don't have a picture yet because we haven't been back to our home in TV since the palm was planted.
Yes, Sylvester Palms can flourish in The Villages weather. It's my favorite type of palm tree, especially if the trunk is diamond cut to give that nice orange glow. We had a double (curved) Sylvester planted in our front yard and we love it! We also have Queens and an European Fan Palm. We made our decisions by googling "frost hardy palms".
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Sage

Does $5-600 sound about right for a 6-7' Sylvester.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Sage

We just planted our sylvester, it think it is a 7 footer and it was 700.00. They do sometimes get "roach" bugs but we had our lawn care people come and spray a few days after we put the new landscaping in because we heard that new landscaping, including the mulch, can bring in new bugs. The mulch brought in lot of little ants and they are now gone due to the treatment. I also bought Home Defense spray to spray the cracks in the pool lanai cement as the little creatures were marching up and down the cracks as well as the rain drain. They are now gone. Haven't seen any roaches net....thank God!!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
As above, don't know one from another. There are several at our new home. Should we sell or call in a back hoe? Hope this url works!

http://www.thevillages.com/homes/vls...s/211163_6.jpg
I would start by getting a bag of Palm fertilizer, follow the directions on the bag. Also, give them a drink when it gets dry.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Sage
Default Good Point

Smart Palm Fertilizing
Katherine Maidman, Former Curator of Palms

Here is a simple guide to effective maintenance feeding of your landscape palms. Product and application information are based on the latest recommendations from the University of Florida's Cooperative Extension Institute of Food and Agricultural Services, where research continues to fine tune palm growing in our South Florida conditions.

Do I need to fertilize all my landscape palms?

For the many palms affected by deficiencies in South Florida's nutrient poor soils, fertilizing is a necessity. While certain palms, native species for instance, can grow well in our landscapes with no fertilizing, all palms benefit rom regular maintenance feeding, which will show in their overall appearance and rate of growth. By keeping plants strong, fertilizing boosts their resistance to pest and disease problems.

What is a good program of “maintenance feeding”?

By maintenance feeding, we mean regular fertilizing of all your palms with a balanced, complete fertilizer to maintain health, and vigor. Done right, this can often prevent the common nutrient deficiencies of potassium (K), manganese (Mn), and magnesium (Mg), which take a lot of time and effort to correct once they cause symptoms. A widely recommended maintenance feeding program for your landscape palms is the use of a balanced, complete, granular fertilizer formulated for palms. Such fertilizers are widely called ‘Palm Special’ fertilizers. There are a number of companies supplying these mixes in South Florida.

What do I look for in a palm special fertilizer?

The best palm special fertilizers have evolved in light of new recommendations from palm nutrition expert Dr. Timothy Broschat of the University of Florida. They have been improved based on extensive testing in the South Florida landscape. Here is what your fertilizer needs to be effective:

Look for formula 8-4-12 fertilizer, or as close to this nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K) ratio as possible. In addition check for Magnesium. Total Magnesium (as Mg) should be close to or equal 4% when included in the 8-4-12 formula.
Both N and K should be in a 100% controlled release form. K deficiency is the most common palm nutrient deficiency in South Florida, due to the high solubility of this element and poor nutrient holding capacity of the soils. The higher level of K now recommended, along with the 100% controlled release form, can help prevent K deficiency. The controlled release form also helps prevent groundwater contamination from rapid leaching of K through our soils.
Micronutrients should be in sulfate form. The oxide form of some fertilizers use renders these nutrients unavailable in our alkaline soils. On the label, under “derived from” or “nutrient sources” look for: iron sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, or zinc sulfate.

Careful feeding brings out the beauty of palms.

How should palm special fertilizer be applied?

You should distribute fertilizer over the majority of the root system, which extends roughly from the trunk out to the edge of the canopy. Broadcast fertilizer as evenly as possible on the ground in this area. Think of it as an even sprinkling of salt. Any heaps, or the common ring of fertilizer around the palm, will burn and kill the roots directly beneath. Avoid getting fertilizer on the base of the stem, in the leaf bases or crown for the same reason.

When and how should I fertilize?

The useful life of most palm special fertilizers is two to three months. A suggested rate is three to four pounds per medium size adult palm every three months. Adjust this rate according to plant size. Fertilizer nutrients are released by irrigation water or rain; bear this in mind in your yearly schedule, as well as the fact that less is taken up by plants at the coldest time of the year. We recommend fertilizing in the following months: late March, June, September and late October. Try to fertilize at least three times a year.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Smart Palm Fertilizing
Katherine Maidman, Former Curator of Palms

Here is a simple guide to effective maintenance feeding of your landscape palms. Product and application information are based on the latest recommendations from the University of Florida's Cooperative Extension Institute of Food and Agricultural Services, where research continues to fine tune palm growing in our South Florida conditions.

Do I need to fertilize all my landscape palms?

For the many palms affected by deficiencies in South Florida's nutrient poor soils, fertilizing is a necessity. While certain palms, native species for instance, can grow well in our landscapes with no fertilizing, all palms benefit rom regular maintenance feeding, which will show in their overall appearance and rate of growth. By keeping plants strong, fertilizing boosts their resistance to pest and disease problems.

What is a good program of “maintenance feeding”?

By maintenance feeding, we mean regular fertilizing of all your palms with a balanced, complete fertilizer to maintain health, and vigor. Done right, this can often prevent the common nutrient deficiencies of potassium (K), manganese (Mn), and magnesium (Mg), which take a lot of time and effort to correct once they cause symptoms. A widely recommended maintenance feeding program for your landscape palms is the use of a balanced, complete, granular fertilizer formulated for palms. Such fertilizers are widely called ‘Palm Special’ fertilizers. There are a number of companies supplying these mixes in South Florida.

What do I look for in a palm special fertilizer?

The best palm special fertilizers have evolved in light of new recommendations from palm nutrition expert Dr. Timothy Broschat of the University of Florida. They have been improved based on extensive testing in the South Florida landscape. Here is what your fertilizer needs to be effective:

Look for formula 8-4-12 fertilizer, or as close to this nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium (N-P-K) ratio as possible. In addition check for Magnesium. Total Magnesium (as Mg) should be close to or equal 4% when included in the 8-4-12 formula.
Both N and K should be in a 100% controlled release form. K deficiency is the most common palm nutrient deficiency in South Florida, due to the high solubility of this element and poor nutrient holding capacity of the soils. The higher level of K now recommended, along with the 100% controlled release form, can help prevent K deficiency. The controlled release form also helps prevent groundwater contamination from rapid leaching of K through our soils.
Micronutrients should be in sulfate form. The oxide form of some fertilizers use renders these nutrients unavailable in our alkaline soils. On the label, under “derived from” or “nutrient sources” look for: iron sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, or zinc sulfate.

Careful feeding brings out the beauty of palms.

How should palm special fertilizer be applied?

You should distribute fertilizer over the majority of the root system, which extends roughly from the trunk out to the edge of the canopy. Broadcast fertilizer as evenly as possible on the ground in this area. Think of it as an even sprinkling of salt. Any heaps, or the common ring of fertilizer around the palm, will burn and kill the roots directly beneath. Avoid getting fertilizer on the base of the stem, in the leaf bases or crown for the same reason.

When and how should I fertilize?

The useful life of most palm special fertilizers is two to three months. A suggested rate is three to four pounds per medium size adult palm every three months. Adjust this rate according to plant size. Fertilizer nutrients are released by irrigation water or rain; bear this in mind in your yearly schedule, as well as the fact that less is taken up by plants at the coldest time of the year. We recommend fertilizing in the following months: late March, June, September and late October. Try to fertilize at least three times a year.
Got the kids and grandkids out on their own and now some more mouths to feed.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Sage

I love, but would never again buy a robellini Palm.

From our experience they are much less cold tolerant that others. Our queens survived some tough winters since 2007, but our 3 legged robelli now just has one leg

Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Sage

The article that Jimbo quoted is right on, except the fertilizer formula used in this area is 8-2-12. The John Deere store on Hwy 301 sells it.

I'm getting to know a lot about Sylvester palms, since we have a sick one. It was planted a little over a year ago. I've learned that much of the soil south of 466 can be clay and that clay traps the water. It is as if you put a plant in a container that had no drainage hole. If you are thinking of planting an expensive palm it'd be well to get a soil test first.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

Gee, thanks! We'll do that as soon as we get down there.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.