Pavers in the back yard of a Court Yard Villa and rainwater drainage

Old 04-03-2024, 04:06 PM
Default Pavers in the back yard of a Court Yard Villa and rainwater drainage

Hello, my wife and I recently purchased a CYV in The Villages and plan to change over the land scaping to make the exterior very low maintenance. We plan to remove all of the grass.
I am aware of the Architectural review process and will submit for approval as required.

Prior to submitting the paperwork, I am looking for some advice and experience on handling runoff water from a brick patio that we plan to install in the back yard.

We plan to have the grass in the back yard replaced with pavers, installed by a reputable landscaping company. One side of the new brick patio will be bordered by the house, two sides of the new brick patio will be bordered by the rear walls and the last remaining side of the paver patio will be 50% bordered by the concrete slab that exists in the back yard just outside of the lanai.

My question is, will the gaps between the brick be enough of a vent to let the rainwater run through the bricks to drain the patio? The landscaper can grade the subsoil so the water runs away from the house, but I would not want to then have the rainwater puddling by the rear wall.
Or should I have the landscape company stop the brick pavers 18 inches from the rear wall and install rock there so the rainwater on the paver patio has a place to run to and drain into the sandy Florida sub soil?

Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2024, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,162 Times in 2,253 Posts

Glad you are asking these questions after the rain today i would be surprised if you would not get water in your house due to your proposed changes. Have stated this, check your back yard there may be a drain already installed, if so, I guess you could direct water to this drain. Typically paving bricks or pavers are installed over compacted clay and sand, and then (I forgot the name) material is used to set the bricks or pavers in place. The result is a relatively water-resistant surface, if too much water gets through it will wash away the substrate and you will have problems. While I understand your attempt to limit maintenance you need to be aware we sometimes get rains at 2 inches or more per hour and whatever you are planning needs to take this into account for your property AND YOUR NEIGHBORS PROPERTY. Hurricane IRMA dumped around 15 inches of rain is 24 hours. Personally, I would explore other options, robotic mowers are less expensive than lawn maintenance for example.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:31 PM
Veteran member

They should be sloping the pavers and adding appropriate drains that are piped to a good drainage location. Something like you see here (diagonally from the middle bottom of photo to the aluminum chair).

The Villages Florida

Also kudos to you for heading off the "You better get ARC approval" posts. I'm sure someone will still post how it won't be allowed or something. LOL

Edit to add: Tinker is correct. He is thinking of polymeric sand. It is much better than the old stone dust as it helps prevent weeds from growing through. It is almost impermeable to water. I have a low spot on my paver patio here in MA and it gets a puddle that is slow to drain away.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:28 PM

Look at the plans for your house or order one from your county office and also visit your neighbors yards to see where the main backyard drains are located. The backyard will get very muddy and weeds will grow through the pavers if there is not correct drainage. I don't understand why CYV lots drain to the backyard to begin with.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,957 Times in 2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyme View Post
Hello, my wife and I recently purchased a CYV in The Villages and plan to change over the land scaping to make the exterior very low maintenance. We plan to remove all of the grass.
I am aware of the Architectural review process and will submit for approval as required.

Prior to submitting the paperwork, I am looking for some advice and experience on handling runoff water from a brick patio that we plan to install in the back yard.

We plan to have the grass in the back yard replaced with pavers, installed by a reputable landscaping company. One side of the new brick patio will be bordered by the house, two sides of the new brick patio will be bordered by the rear walls and the last remaining side of the paver patio will be 50% bordered by the concrete slab that exists in the back yard just outside of the lanai.

My question is, will the gaps between the brick be enough of a vent to let the rainwater run through the bricks to drain the patio? The landscaper can grade the subsoil so the water runs away from the house, but I would not want to then have the rainwater puddling by the rear wall.
Or should I have the landscape company stop the brick pavers 18 inches from the rear wall and install rock there so the rainwater on the paver patio has a place to run to and drain into the sandy Florida sub soil?

Advice appreciated.
Thanks
They’re usually drain in back yards of CYV (look the grass might over grown it?) Grass, rock, concrete the drain drains overflow when rains hard.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:39 PM

There will be one or more drains in your back area. I would have to look at the area to see how to engineer the drainage. Might need an additional drain and outlet depending on the original topography. The space between the pavers allows VERY little drainage, and is there as a buffer to prevent spalling.
352 303 8610 for a free estimate

Tags
patio, yard, brick, rainwater, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.