Pindo Palm

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM
Default Pindo Palm

In January I had a local nursery plant a Pindo Palm Tree in front of my house. Up till now all was good with it. My neighbor called me and told me some of the leaves are turning yellow. He thinks it is not getting enough water and it is stressing out. Stellars fertilized it in early spring. I am tying to figure out what to do to insure I don't lose the tree. Appreciate any info anyone can give me. Thanks!!

Bob
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Sage

get it on a one gallon and hour drip for 4 hours, so 4 gallons every other day for 6 weeks, then 2x a week
Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM

Don't be afraid to use Epsom Salt as a fertilizer. I know, it was a surprise to me but it is right on the package. Recommended by my landscaper !!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Sage

I would call the nursery that did the work and have them come take a look - most guarantee for a year.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

just because a plant is guaranteed does not mean that the homeowner has no responsibility. if you think that your twice a week lawn sprinkling irrigation is sufficient hydration for a tree, well think again. deep watering, manually performed, is the only real answer. the fact that your neighbor had to alert you to the stresses your pindo is suffering indicates to me that you are not here during the time that your palm needs attention. 99% of all plants are murdered, they do not die on their own. and no amount of fertilizer will prevent a weakened plant to remarkably resurrect.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage

Travelguy - if you read my post my suggestion was for the nursery to come take a look to determine what the problem is. No where did I suggest they are responsible if the homeowner caused the problem. Please take a minute to understand what someone is saying before you put words in their mouth!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We had a pindo installed a year ago, and the bottom leaves have turned yellow and we trimmed them off. I read on the internet that it takes about 2 years to really establish them, and that they need a lot of water in the meantime. We watered ours every day for a month, then tapered off to twice a week, but with this heat, I dump a few extra gallons on it every now and then if it hasn't been rainining.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Gold member

Boy, we have a pindo and it is like indestructible. It was first planted by the developer and then a year later it was yanked out and replanted. It was never given much TLC (other than the first couple of weeks after the second planting, it has had nothing but normal grass irrigation) and it is thriving. It is by far my most robust palm.

Is the grass around your pindo green? If not then perhaps you need to irrigate more frequently or longer. If it is, I suspect something other than water. Since it is just the lower part, could it be the normal shedding of the lower fronds that all palms go through?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Gold member

Find out what fertilizer your lawn care company is using then give the County Agent's office a call. The first question they'll ask you is about the fertilizer. They're a wealth of information and will point you in the right direction.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
In January I had a local nursery plant a Pindo Palm Tree in front of my house. Up till now all was good with it. My neighbor called me and told me some of the leaves are turning yellow. He thinks it is not getting enough water and it is stressing out. Stellars fertilized it in early spring. I am tying to figure out what to do to insure I don't lose the tree. Appreciate any info anyone can give me. Thanks!!

Bob
While still new here, I've discovered that an email to plantclinic@aol.com is a very good bet. Takes you to TV Master Gardeners and Florida Extension, with lots of expertise on all things horticultural.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.