Pine straw

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Pine straw

We aren't ready to replace the pine straw with pebbles or other material but I would like to freshen it up. I can't find where to buy bales of pine straw. They have pine mulch at Lowe's which is different.

The gardener is very adamant to replace the pine straw, but I kinda suspect it is a money maker for him if he does. He says there are bugs in it. (Haven't seen any) and it is a fire hazard. I rather like the way it looks and the big upgrade of landscaping is expensive and takes some planning.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We aren't ready to replace the pine straw with pebbles or other material but I would like to freshen it up. I can't find where to buy bales of pine straw. They have pine mulch at Lowe's which is different.

The gardener is very adamant to replace the pine straw, but I kinda suspect it is a money maker for him if he does. He says there are bugs in it. (Haven't seen any) and it is a fire hazard. I rather like the way it looks and the big upgrade of landscaping is expensive and takes some planning.

Any thoughts?
I kind of like the pine bark mini nuggets.
Is that something you have to run by the landscape police?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 AM

I do landscaping in TV and remove straw from homes everyday. If you would like I can bring you some I am taking some out today that is in Bonita and is pretty new straw let me know you can have it. I will not even charge to bring it out if it is South of 466. You can call me 352-551-9743.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 AM

And also if you do not want to do that you can go to Russo Dirt Cheap on 441 by Market of Marion and pick some up for about $5.00 a bail. The number is 245-7900.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM

I agree with you, graciegirl. I also like the look of pine straw and it's good for the soil (SAND!) that we have north of 466. As the pine straw breaks down, it enriches our soil. If you enjoy gardening, something other than stone offers greater ease in redesigning and relocating plants. If a weed takes hold in rock mulch with the underlying cloth, it can be a bear to try to completely remove. And weeds will sprout in both rock and pine straw. I'll grant to the rock proponents that if someone carelessly tosses a lit cigarette butt in the mulch, the rock will not support a fire whereas dried pine straw would.

When I redressed my beds in the fall, there were several places that sold baled pine straw:

R & K Farms, 3 miles south of the Villages at 2165 Highway 27/441
Dirt Cheap, north of the Villages at 13265 Highway 27/441
Fairfield Farms at 12472 US 301 (between US 42 and CR 466)

You might also check with your grasscutter. During a casual conversation with the young man who cuts our grass, my husband mentioned that we'd be renewing the mulch. Our grasscutter volunteered to pick up the bales we needed and he brought them the following week.

Last edited by juneroses; 02-25-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
I agree with you, graciegirl. I also like the look of pine straw and it's good for the soil (SAND!) that we have north of 466. As the pine straw breaks down, it enriches our soil. If you enjoy gardening, something other than stone offers greater ease in redesigning and relocating plants. If a weed takes hold in rock mulch with the underlying cloth, it can be a bear to try to completely remove. And weeds will sprout in both rock and pine straw. I'll grant to the rock proponents that if someone carelessly tosses a lit cigarette butt in the mulch, the rock will not support a fire whereas dried pine straw would.

When I redressed my beds in the fall, there were several places that sold baled pine straw:

R & K Farms, 3 miles south of the Villages at 2165 Highway 27/441
Dirt Cheap, north of the Villages at 13265 Highway 27/441
Fairfield Farms at 12472 US 301 (between US 42 and CR 466)

You might also check with your grasscutter. During a casual conversation with the young man who cuts our grass, my husband mentioned that we'd be renewing the mulch. Our grasscutter volunteered to pick up the bales we needed and he brought them the following week.
Thank you Juneroses, from one Cincinnati girl to another!!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 AM

So I take it you do not want this pine straw that I have since you did not respond.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

straw breaks down faster than the nuggets and mulch,
about twice as fast or more is my guess.
we used straw extensively in Atlanta and it was a twice a year deal to refresh it

it does help enrich the soil (as does other plant mulchs) as opposed to the rock, plenty of threads around on those aspects
Old 02-25-2009, 05:52 PM

does pine straw make the soil more acid?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM

An additional source of pine straw is Porter's, north of The Villages on US 441. They advertised bales for sale in their full page Daily Sun ad today (Saturday, February 28th).
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Our pest control guy told us to replace the pine straw ASAP - at least the stuff close to the house - because the bugs love it. Has anyone else heard that? Since he doesn't do mulch, I tend to believe him because he is not making money replacing it.
Janet
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Sage
Default Bugs in pine straw.

That is what ours told us too. I since learned that they would replace it or spruce it up or add to it...anyway redo the pine straw for $85. I had bought ten bales for $50 and spread it myself before I found that out. I HATE bugs and didn't run into a single one while I was messing in it and digging out a new bed. I love hands on gardening. I like to get dirty and bend and moan and move myself around. I kid myself into thinking it is exercise.

I asked the nursery lady about the bugs because the pine straw was riding behind me in the van (shiver) and she said no bugs but sometimes the geckos hitch a ride. I had our daughter Helene watch the back while I hurriedly returned home. No geckos, so far.

HOWEVER. Our neighbor Honey, (Coconuts husband) said that they had a fire in their pine straw and couldn't determine the origin. I am not liking to hear that. Hardly hot enough for spontaneous combustion and they don't smoke.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELocke View Post
I prefer to use cypress mulch myself due to pinestraw could be a fire hazard and gives bugs a breeding ground, also cypress mulch is within my budget which is very important these days!!

I so agree about watching the budget and I thank you for the tip about cypress mulch!!!!

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-05-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Veteran member
Default this person offered to help you, and you didn't even reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegas View Post
I do landscaping in TV and remove straw from homes everyday. If you would like I can bring you some I am taking some out today that is in Bonita and is pretty new straw let me know you can have it. I will not even charge to bring it out if it is South of 466. You can call me 352-551-9743.
this person offered to help you for FREE, and you didn't even reply with a thanks for your offer?
Wanabee future TVer
Old 03-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
this person offered to help you for FREE, and you didn't even reply with a thanks for your offer?
You are absolutely right.

It certainly was kind of LasVegas, and now that you have brought it to my attention, I realize I was remiss. I apologize to LasVegas. I tried to reach her by phone and she didn't answer and so I went out and bought the pine straw. I feel bad for not thanking her publicly.

LasVegas, if you are reading this, I hesitated too long to reply. I thank you for your very kind offer and appreciate the time it took to contact me not once, but twice. You are a very nice person indeed. I am ashamed of my bad manners!!

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-06-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.