Pine Straw or Bark over White Stone?

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2022, 09:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I happen to be a gardener but do not understand this love affair with stone around plants. They get hot in the sun and can harm them. The fabric used under them does not allow the water or fertilizer to go where you want it and weeds grow in the stone anyway, so what have you accomplished? Pine straw is acidic and as much of the soil here is alkaline, it decomposes and creates a neutral balanced soil. Weeds are a problem but can be controlled. Regular 5 or 6 percent vinegar is pretty useless and I would never add salt as it remains in the soil and cannot be removed. Get 30 percent vinegar, cut in half with water to 15 percent and a teaspoon of dawn dish detergent. This kills everything, so do not spray on a windy day. There is nothing wrong with bugs and insects or butterflies. I attract many birds and animals and love that there is so big an array to see here. I suppose a condo or apartment is best for people who do not like nature and plants.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:38 PM

Do it the RIGHT way if you can, hire a landscaper that will remove 90% of the stone. The weeds and a ton of seeds will leave with it, put down fresh FABRIC and fresh stone. Prefer the flat gray Shalimar for best anti-weed results. The river rock in a smaller size is a distant 2nd. If there is a grassy looking weed coming through IN YOUR SHRUBS... I suggest having the them (the shrubs) removed ROOTS AND ALL, and replaced as well. Without seeing, I can't tell if you have invasive weeds that will return pretty quickly.
Follow up with PREEN, 2x the amount, and 2x as often as the package recommends for the 1st year. This method should cost around $4.50 to $6 per square foot.

If this is beyond your means financially. LARGE PINE BARK, at least 6" thick (9" would be better) on top of the rock. Spraying the weeds with round up 1st would be a big plus. I have killed thick burmuda grass in landscape beds by this method. This should cost about $2 per square foot.

Some here may disagree, but I have tried every method deemed reasonable over my 40 years of dealing with exactly this problem, and these are your 2 smartest methods, and both give immediate results, and long term benefits with a minimum of additional $$ and time thrown at the problem in the future.
Closed Thread

Tags
pine, weeds, stone, white, spraying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.