The Price Of Landscaping

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran member
Default The Price Of Landscaping

Why do folks continually ask the price of landscaping jobs which are showcased by the advertisers here? They're not going to answer you, and I think I understand why.

1) It would be unethical for them to divulge information specific to a particular home, without the consent of the homeowner.

2) Every job is unique and the prices would vary based on numerous things.

3) Many of the folks asking for prices aren't really planning on doing landscaping...they're either just being nosy or else they are waiting for an opportunity to express shock at the price, and tell you how their landscaper has better prices.

4) To quote a price that is considerably more than the guy selling palm trees out of the back of his truck would actually do a disservice to new Villagers who don't know better.

5) Obviously, the businesses want to have an opportunity to meet with you, show you their ideas, and persuade you to go with them.

So, if you want to know the price of having your yard landscaped...get estimates from a few different companies, check out their reputation, and go with who you feel is right for you. And then, if you'd like, come on here and tell us how much you paid.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Platinum member

I agree.
Landscaping is custom work and there are many variables.
i posted a photo of our back yard project on another(pond) thread awhile back.
I did not mention the cost, it was not relevant to the topic. No one asked, anyway.

I wouldn't have done so if asked. It would not be fair to the landscaping company, as the installation of our project was complex and unless one understood all that went into it, they would have no way of evaluating whether the cost was appropriate.

In our case, we had a similar landscape project done in a previous home, in a similar setting (an enclosed courtyard). I worked on that project with a japanese landscaper to design and install it- literally worked along side him as his partner, so I was well aware of the labor required and the prep work ahead of time. I shopped with him and bought all the component parts in person.
I went into our current project with my homework done and my eyes wide open. I did not do physical work on this one, but was present, watching the complete install.

We got an excellent custom job. The price was appropriate.

My neighbor here had landscaping done, but did not want to be bothered with the details. He had the landscaper (an independent) come to his house and take a look. I was present at the time.
He said he wanted the grass gone and the front done with palms- then said, 'How much?'

The guy threw a price at him and he said, "Fine, just make it nice and put in some color. My wife will be here in two days. I want it done by then". It took 5 minutes to accomplish their agreement.

The only thing my neighbor picked out was the color of the rock. He was given two choices to pick from- in those 5 minutes.
His project was done the next day, and my neighbor was pleased that he got it done without fuss and at what he considered a bargain price.
Less than a year later, it is not standing the test of time. He got a fast job, but not an appropriate one for his property's exposure. He's not real happy with it now.

Perhaps this is not the typical way that most homeowners go about getting their landscaping done. My neighbor chuckles at the efforts I put into things- and he and I are agreed that I am a fuss-budget in scenarios where he would be spontaneous, then be done.
It's just one example of how you can not compare landscaping jobs, or the cost of them.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

We used McGowan Landscaping because of all the many positive reviews on TOTV. They gave me an estimate broken down to the plants and trees and the labor by the day. They had estimated a day and a half but when they finished in one day, she reduced the bill by $625. Their website is down, otherwise I would post a link. They had totally gutted our front yard and took out the sod and every plant and put in everything you see.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
I agree.
Landscaping is custom work and there are many variables.
i posted a photo of our back yard project on another(pond) thread awhile back.
I did not mention the cost, it was not relevant to the topic. No one asked, anyway.

I wouldn't have done so if asked. It would not be fair to the landscaping company, as the installation of our project was complex and unless one understood all that went into it, they would have no way of evaluating whether the cost was appropriate.

In our case, we had a similar landscape project done in a previous home, in a similar setting (an enclosed courtyard). I worked on that project with a japanese landscaper to design and install it- literally worked along side him as his partner, so I was well aware of the labor required and the prep work ahead of time. I shopped with him and bought all the component parts in person.
I went into our current project with my homework done and my eyes wide open. I did not do physical work on this one, but was present, watching the complete install.

We got an excellent custom job. The price was appropriate.

My neighbor here had landscaping done, but did not want to be bothered with the details. He had the landscaper (an independent) come to his house and take a look. I was present at the time.
He said he wanted the grass gone and the front done with palms- then said, 'How much?'

The guy threw a price at him and he said, "Fine, just make it nice and put in some color. My wife will be here in two days. I want it done by then". It took 5 minutes to accomplish their agreement.

The only thing my neighbor picked out was the color of the rock. He was given two choices to pick from- in those 5 minutes.
His project was done the next day, and my neighbor was pleased that he got it done without fuss and at what he considered a bargain price.
Less than a year later, it is not standing the test of time. He got a fast job, but not an appropriate one for his property's exposure. He's not real happy with it now.

Perhaps this is not the typical way that most homeowners go about getting their landscaping done. My neighbor chuckles at the efforts I put into things- and he and I are agreed that I am a fuss-budget in scenarios where he would be spontaneous, then be done.
It's just one example of how you can not compare landscaping jobs, or the cost of them.
You know I am in awe of your design sense and artistic ability. Your enormous ability as a painter and artist in many mediums have always been admired traits. I know that when you are involved with your landscaping it ended up with all of the design principles in place and it didn't look like a "landscaping job". It looked beautiful, with colors and lines balanced and it looked rich and inviting and real and made your home more welcoming and beautiful.

There are very few landscapers here with really GOOD design ability in my very uneducated opinion. Most of us are not skilled in recognizing excellent landscaping design or the lack of it. I would say that most people move to Florida and want to have a palm tree or seven, hope to keep the Zoysia our of the planting beds and want a flower or two and that is what a lot of the landscaping jobs end up looking like.

Being a thrifty old busy body, (or is that busybiddy?) I have heard and noted an enormous difference in the costs of landscaping freely shared with me by friends, neighbors and complete strangers. I am all for people making a decent living and have no problem with profit and the American Way and I recognize the intense degree of hard, dirty work in this heat to take out trees and bushes and plants and put in new ones. I also know you USUALLY get what you pay for. But some times we villagers pay far more than we should for landscaping work because we really don't know how much a good landscaping job does cost. AND what makes a good landscaping job. We should know how long the plants are guaranteed to live, how big they will grow, and whether they will require a lot of maintenance or not, whether they are zone hardy, but for me it should be beautiful. When I lay out more than ten thousand dollars for something, it needs to be all of those things. And like most people I like a little diplomacy, good manners, patience, and good old fashioned niceness too from a contractor.

And...I don't have a dog in this fight. I like my landscaping the way it came. I am NOT shopping.I am an instigator and a rabble rouser and a PITA too.

I am from the south end of Columbus, Ohio. If you pay ten thousand dollars for anything, it should come with lights and a horn.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We used McGowan Landscaping because of all the many positive reviews on TOTV. They gave me an estimate broken down to the plants and trees and the labor by the day. They had estimated a day and a half but when they finished in one day, she reduced the bill by $625. Their website is down, otherwise I would post a link. They had totally gutted our front yard and took out the sod and every plant and put in everything you see.

The Villages Florida
John,

It's lovely!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Platinum member

I agree with much of your post Gracie, (and thank you for the kind mention toward my artwork) our best bet before purchasing anything is to do what homework we can ahead of time, then have pertinent questions answered, to our satisfaction, before buying. An educated buyer is more likely to be a smart buyer.

I agree that some contracted landscaping jobs don't look so swell afterward...
but in some cases (two that I personally know of) there is a factor I hadn't considered until I saw it happen. (I love landscaping so much, I pay attention when it goes in around our enclave.)
In each case, the homeowner made specific, non bending choices of what they wanted and how/where it was to be placed, choosing wrong plant, wrong place. They were totally in the 'driver's seat' and would accept no suggestions or alternatives by the contractor. That they found contractors who would even do this was amazing to me, but each one found a landscaper to accommodate their wishes. One neighbor changed the plan's placement totally..... as it was being installed.

They got to have it 'their way', but neither job looked good.
They spent good money, but kind of shot themselves in the foot by being over controlling and undereducated.
Now that their selections have grown way out of bounds for the location, or faltered due to bad location or inappropriate zone, they have asked for MY recommendations as to how to make it look better! (I'm NOBODY.)

I have asked them, for example, why they chose a potentially 10' ft wide shrub for a 3 ft. wide space, or an Oleander right next to their front door, only to be told that it never occurred to them that it would grow much. I have asked them why they put a shade plant in full sun, only to be told 'it looked pretty there'. Neither homeowner knew anything about the plants they INSISTED upon having installed by the landscaper.

You said in an earlier post, "We may be old, but we're not stupid."

Most of us are not stupid, but sometimes we are not very wise for our years, either.

..... and P.S. I DID get lights and a horn with mine, you funny girl! Bwahahaha!

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 08-28-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are very few landscapers here with really GOOD design ability.
But some times we villagers pay far more than we should for landscaping work because we really don't know how much a good landscaping job does cost. AND what makes a good landscaping job.

I would also add that many landscapers can think outside the box, I can go down some streets and see where the same landscaper was used, some only have one way of doing it.

It's like their signature

For the most part they lack creativity.

It is for that reason highly recommend hiring a licensed landscape architect to do a design then shop that, you will accomplish two things.

It will be different than the hum drum designs being installed.

You are shopping a specified list of work details and plantings.

So it based more on price & execution of that drwan out plan.

Speaking which to be certain everything is ok with TV, I suggest you take that same plan to the ARC for approval yourself, don't depend on the landscaper to do it.

When you call each landscaper they are quoting a different design and different plants great way to overpay, you're comparing apples and oranges.

One more thought on ARC approval if the work is complete and later on found to be in violation who do you think is paying for the removal or relocation of stacked block walls and plantings?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=Skybo;734601]Why do folks continually ask the price of landscaping jobs which are showcased by the advertisers here? ]

Actually, I thought the last one I saw in this section was posted by the homeowner, but after re-reading the thread, I see it's posted by the same company who loves to post customer feedback as advertisement for their services. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. As a newer "Villager", I think it would be great if folks would post a photo and an approximate price of what it cost. It would be like window shopping for the future, and gives you an idea of the cost without the hassle of calling contractors out for a bid, and then all of the follow-up door bell ringing to see if you are ready to sign the contract. I understand that landscaping can be simple or exotic, so the price will vary, but most folks here are smart enough to figure that out from the photos/price. I'm like Gracie and would like to know approximate price ranges of all of the typical upgrades folks do, so I don't fall prey to some of the vultures....I mean contractors that sweep through the Village communities.

Last edited by e-flyer; 08-29-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Sage
Default Price of landscaping

You can click on the link below to find homes in your neighborhood landscaped by Mansfield Landscaping. It will give you the addresses of the homes and a map. You are welcome to go to the homes and talk to the people who live there. You can ask them what they paid for their landscaping.

Local Tour Of Landscaping Work | Mansfield Landscaping, LLC | Lake, Sumter, Marion, Osceola, Seminole County, FL
Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks for posting the link!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.