Push reel mower - OK choice for DIY lawn care in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Default Push reel mower - OK choice for DIY lawn care in TV?

I've searched old threads here, and don't find a clear answer. I don't mind the effort, but am unclear if the Zoysia grass (I think - we're coming to Sanibel) presents any special problems with this approach.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiMike View Post
I've searched old threads here, and don't find a clear answer. I don't mind the effort, but am unclear if the Zoysia grass (I think - we're coming to Sanibel) presents any special problems with this approach.
It can be done, but Zoysia is a rather thick grass.

You may find that you will have to cut it more frequently than once a week to make it more manageable.

I personally would not want to be doing this in the summer time.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Gold member
Default works fine for CYV

we have one, but only have a small patch in the backyard to cut - just cut it for the first time last week, only needs cutting about every 2 weeks during growing season and really not at all from Dec - April, and yes, we have zoysia grass.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum member

We tried one when we first moved into our cyv with a very small yard! Hubby said it was just too much effort!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Sage

I searched reviews the Scotts 14 or 20" reel got high marks.

The Villages Florida

I'm getting this one
Old 05-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Sage

It's a good workout, but I wouldn't try it in the blazing sun
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 05-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Gold member

Don't think I'd do it for more than a CYV size yard. We have taken out grass for about 3 feet and more all around the back, so really have only about 25 feet x 10 or 12 feet at most, nothing to mow in front. To us, is really worth the savings to do it ourselves and does not have to be done every week.

We were gone for 2 7-week periods last year during the growing season, and it had to be gone over twice when we got back - again took about 10 minutes, did it in the a.m. before it got too hot. Bought it at a garage sale from someone in a ranch or designer - I think it would be too much work with a larger yard.

Whoever does our neighbor's yard is going to do ours once a month this summer while we are gone. The yard people will all tell you they will only do it on a year-round basis, but once you are here, you will find you can find someone to do it on an "as needed basis" if you look hard enough - usually a service who is already working in your neighborhood.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I searched reviews the Scotts 14 or 20" reel got high marks.

The Villages Florida

I'm getting this one
Solar powered?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Solar powered?
jimbo has a panel on his back
Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Smile Reel vs Battery

Quote:
Semi...it sounds like you're pre-disposed toward a reel mower. I like a reel mower myself...it's the only style of mower that "cuts" the blade of grass as opposed to a typical rotary mower that "rips" the blade of grass. With a very small lawn a reel mower might be a good alternative. But, as you've already heard from other respondents, it doesn't require too large of a yard for it to be "too big" for a human-powered reel.

Have you considered a battery powered mower? Last time I bought a mower I was looking for an alternative to (1) gasoline (save the planet...and don't pollute your backyard air) and (2) plug-in electric (due to the risk of cutting your own cord...that's embarrassing and dangerous...I know from personal experience!) But I was concerned about how long the battery would last. I bought a B&D...and it's served well through nine summers without a hiccup and no maintenance. From my perspective, it's a viable alternative.

Happy mowing...it not only $ave$, it's also good exercise!

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle
Old 05-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Do not believe reel mowers are recommended for Zoysia grasses due to the required mowing height. Reel mowers are better suited for low cut grasses.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Pirate View Post
Semi...it sounds like you're pre-disposed toward a reel mower. I like a reel mower myself...it's the only style of mower that "cuts" the blade of grass as opposed to a typical rotary mower that "rips" the blade of grass. With a very small lawn a reel mower might be a good alternative. But, as you've already heard from other respondents, it doesn't require too large of a yard for it to be "too big" for a human-powered reel.

Have you considered a battery powered mower? Last time I bought a mower I was looking for an alternative to (1) gasoline (save the planet...and don't pollute your backyard air) and (2) plug-in electric (due to the risk of cutting your own cord...that's embarrassing and dangerous...I know from personal experience!) But I was concerned about how long the battery would last. I bought a B&D...and it's served well through nine summers without a hiccup and no maintenance. From my perspective, it's a viable alternative.

Happy mowing...it not only $ave$, it's also good exercise!
RP, an interesting suggestion that I will check out - thanks!

Does anyone by chance have one of the 20" Scotts brand reel push mowers that are adjustable up to 3" cutting height? This is a real advantage versus many reel mowers, and I'd love to see one in action - that is, beyond just pushing one down an aisle at Home Depot ...
Old 05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Sage

I read;

Zoysiagrass lawns need to be cut at a height of 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Rotary mowers can do a good job if your lawn is relatively smooth and you keep the blade sharp. Otherwise, a more expensive reel mower will be needed. It is best to start at a 1 inch height in spring and gradually raise the height when hot weather arrives. Research indicates that a height of 2 inches is best when growing zoysia in partial shade.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
So, as the original poster, I thought I would bring this full circle and note where I ended up.

I did go with the Scotts 20" Classic reel mower ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Scotts-2000-20-20-Inch-Classic-Mower/dp/B00004RA3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369956968&sr=8-1&keywords=scotts+reel+mower]Amazon.com: Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]). Reviews on Amazon were favorable for up to a 1/4 acre lot as far as effort involved, with good cutting effectiveness - especially since this mower can be adjusted up to a 3" cut. (I have read that Zoysia is quite happy at 2-1/2". and I do prefer a higher cut.)

The only downside is the 4" or so gap next to walls and other features, so I purchased a Worx cordless electric trimmer/edger at the same time, and am very pleased with that as well for my grass area (Lantana on an interior lot.)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Sage

I bought a Scotts reel also, this little thing cuts easy and little effort.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.