Queen Palms -- would you plant these??

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Queen Palms -- would you plant these??

If you are looking for a tropical look...would you plant Queen palms. Alot of these palms got hit pretty hard with last winters cold winds and frost. Most are surviving and will recover but some are nothing but tooth picks with no green at all.

So if you had to do it all over again would you plant Queens.....if not what options would you consider that give you the same tall swaying tropical look.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

I purchased my pre-owned home and it had two queen palms on it. I am digging both of them up. Tried to give them away, but if the person who might want them doesn't dig them up himself, it is cheaper to go to a nursery and purchase them there.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
If you are looking for a tropical look...would you plant Queen palms. Alot of these palms got hit pretty hard with last winters cold winds and frost. Most are surviving and will recover but some are nothing but tooth picks with no green at all.

So if you had to do it all over again would you plant Queens.....if not what options would you consider that give you the same tall swaying tropical look.
Based on last winter's weather, I'd definitely plant something more frost resistant. We're looking at Silvester Palms.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Dancing Thyme

I don't believe they are indigenous to this area, I could be wrong, however, but I decided not to plant them. Instead, I planted a beautiful weeping willow and its doing beautifully. I was a little concerned during the freeze because it didn't look like it would survive, but its totally gorgeous right now. I was saddened to lose my robellini (sp?) to the freeze, but they only cost me $15 each so I didn't fret too much.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I have 7 queen palms, and yes I would plant them again. Yes, they did get hit, some areas of TV more then others. All mine made it with min damage. If you check the data on Queens, you will see they are cold hardy down to 20 degrees. To me the odds are very much in your favor they will typically survive.

Army Guy
Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Default Queen Palms

I have 4 Queen palms and I love them, they took a little hit this past winter but now they are coming back. I have lived in the Villages for 14 years and never have a problem with them except this past winter and I think they weren't the only trees that had problems. The Silvester palm is a beautiful palm but they are very expensive and they do get very large on the width so be careful where you plant them on your property. Good luck on your planting.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Look on the golf courses and the rec centers, all TV plants is Sabals. That has to tell you something. They actually grow in the wild in FL. Nurseries clear them from land and sell them. When they transport them they cut the tops back to nothing. We had 2 put in, one 10 ft and one 12ft. We wanted the tropical look as well but our street has 30-40 Queen Palms. We wanted to be a little different. They are very hearty. One downside is they are delivered without much if any foliage. It takes about 6 to 8 months to see any. Check out
http://www.floridata.com/lists/palms.cfm The palms good for this area are: Cabbage palm (Sabal), Washington palm, Queen palm, Jelly palm (Pindo), European Fan Palm, Chinese Fan and Ribbon Fan Palm.

Last edited by elevatorman; 05-05-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

if i had it to do again i would plant washingtonia or sabal instead of queen for the tall ones, my european and canary palms are doing fine...gn
Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM

On my street the best looking palm to survive the winter was a Pindo. It was not affected by the cold weather at all. The reason, the Pindo is a desert palm, not a tropical palm. I think it looks better than a Sylvester. If I ever have to replant my palms, it will be with Pindos.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Queens?

I always borrow all my planting ideas from TV (These guys are good), including annuals....
Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 PM

I did a lot of research and Queen Palms were one of the hardy palms for this area so we planted one 2 years ago. Sadly, it didn't survive this past winter.

Now I have a newly planted Pindo. It's also recommended as a hardy palm for this area. I hope we have better luck with this one.

However, of all the palms, the Sabal is taunted as the most resistant and the heartiest. Since I don't like the looks of the Sabal I ignored the recommendation and chose the Pindo.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Sage

Tamma 49,

I too had a Pindo planted recently. I researched it also and found out that it is very winter hardy and the Landscaper hightly recommended it.

The proof is in the pudding tho, because my daughter has a large pindo and it wasant the slightest bit affected by this past winters many freezing nights.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

The only thing I don't like about the Sabal is the messy fruit!

Army Guy
Old 05-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Pindo Palms are very good, but they do take up a lot of width(space).
Windmills are very pretty and quite cold tolerant.

Go to Floridata, or anywhere.. Queen Palms are not rated for this hardiness zone. I know a lot of people have 'em, and love 'em, but they end up looking bad half the time (just my opinion). We seem to get a "100 year winter" every winter now.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

I have three Washingtonians in my front yard. They were planted 15 years ago when the house was built. They are now getting almost too tall for me to trim.

I am a do it yourselfer, and do not want to pay someone $150 a year to trim these.

Queens grow fast and are messy.....I'd hate to have a seed pod fall on someone or a car, etc.

I believe when deciding on palms, you also want to think about how fast they grow, and how big they get........they can be a maintenance headache before too long. I actually had a friend of mine transport my 32' extension ladder from my NY home to my Florida home, just so I can still trim those palms....

Frank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.