Relocating a Palm tree

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Default Relocating a Palm tree

We want to put a birdcage in the back of our home but there is a good size palm tree in the way. We would like to relocate it from one corner of the home to the other if possible. Any ideas who we might contact to see if this is possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

I would call Jamie t Jamie's Landscaping and ask him how the tree will do if it is moved. Our experience with just readjusting a palm is that it needs LOTS of TLC and water just to reroot. JMHO

LW888
Old 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

Do you know what kind of palm it is? Some transplant easier than others, and some don't like it at all.
A sabal palmetto's roots will die back all the way to the trunk, and so to balance out the rate of transpiration (water intake by the roots, and water evaporation through the leaves) it's important to remove almost all of the fronds until it can regrow its root system. That's why the new ones you see installed around TV don't have hardly any fronds when first planted. If by chance it's a bismarckia palm all I can say is "good luck", as they do not like having their roots disturbed at all. Very often this species will go into a slow decline & die. So, my point is whoever you choose to do the transplant make sure they are knowledgeable about palms in general as well as the palm you have & what it takes to do a successful transplant for that particular palm. It's usually much more than just digging a new hole and physically moving it.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.