replace paver bricks

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Default replace paver bricks

When I bought house, it had 1 inch paver bricks. They are cracking and need sealing. I was going to sget ghost effect off pavers and also seal but that is $600...like putting lipstick on a pig. I think they cannot be fixed because they won't match and they wll crack again. I know this because I have tried fixing. I am thinking of replacing with thicker paver bricks and want to know where I can buy them at a wholesale or near wholesale price. I also need to know who is good at installing. I am not against doing both with same person or outfit. I realize there is an issue with threshold at garage and at street so it is important that I get an experienced guy. I was under the impression that the price might be close to what they charge when they add thin layer of cement and make a design but I have not checked that out yet or compared prices. I also am not sure of the difference in maintenance costs...all these issues are factors. thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Sage

There is no problem using 1" pavers, they work fine, the issue is getting them installed correctly.

installing them wrong is really hard to do.

The way they are done is the perimeter is glued down with a masonry adhesive in a caulking gun, (simple).
Next lay the field, spread sand take a stick and tap each one that will drive the sand under the voids and lock them in.

Sweep, spray with water to lock them in.On a scale of 10 it's a 4 for a DIY'er

If you want to get them at wholesale lookup Gunthers for the pavers, they don't install but will deliver at $1 a sq ft.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

IMHO, I think you are going to have problems hiring someone to install pavers that you bought. There may be considerations that you are not aware of. Also, there are different quality of pavers, so if you buy them, my guess is NO warranty from the installer.
My suggestion, do a search on the word pavers and you get many threads on suitable installers.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.
BTW, after seeing all of the problems with pavers, we had our driveway coated, very nice design, and it is slip free as it has shark grip in the coating.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Sage

What did it cost to paint?

When it needs re-coating what will that cost?
Old 10-06-2015, 05:56 AM

Thanks....I know how to get rid of faded cloudy look on 1 inch pavers and I know how to put a seal on. however when i purchased home i had pavers that were under warranty replaced where they were cracked. they immdeiately cracked again. If I could get those replaced and they would hold up, I would do it. I do not think i could get same pavers today. That is why i was thinking of replacing pavers and not getting 1 inch pavers again. But I will pursue getting replacement pavers and see if I am able to get pavers installed properly as an option
Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Default Replace paver bricks

You should replace all the pavers if you want the job done right. There are dye lots to consider. Get a bid from Village Palms, they warranty for 2 years, and do more steps than Jimbo indicated.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

Amy Newsome did our patio villa driveway, sidewalk, lanai, garage, and side patio for a very reasonable price. It has to be re sealed every other year for about $125. Worth it to me. Our driveway was terribly stained from an irresponsible previous renter! ( battery acid from golf cart)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Sage

What was the cost of the initial job?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:11 PM

Thick (60mm) pavers can be done as an overlay. The front apron and approach to the garage just needs to be removed a little deeper and wider than with thin paver installation.

If your pavers are Flagstone pavers, as most are, the problem was with the installation. If they are from the Co. that went out of business a few years ago, the concrete was too weak for driveway overlays, and there was no spacer on the sides of the pavers, causing spalling and cracking as well.

They are an easy DIY if you know the tricks the pros use to keep them from cracking.

To buy them wholesale, you have to own a business, and set up an account with Flagstone Pavers.

I have a friend who has a company here in TV doing pavers lower than any other paver company and giving lifetime repairs to cracked pavers. He says it is so easy to fix the occasional cracked paver, and he sells a job to the neighbor half the time while he is there, he actually is GLAD when he gets the occasional cracked call, and it's rare they crack with the newer pavers.
Shoot me a PM if you want his number.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post

Sorry, I just noticed you asked for costs, as I recall, about $2 per square ft. and recoating is 5 to 7 years. We had Driveways by Jay do the work, as did several others in the neighborhood. All including ourselves were completely satisfied, so much so that we had Jay do our lanai and birdcage.

Tags
paver, bricks, wholesale, price, guy, impression, thin, layer, experienced, close, charge, add, costs, maintenance, issues, factors, difference, design, make, checked, cement, thicker, replacing, buy, thinking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.