Results of ignoring Modified Phase III Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Default Results of ignoring Modified Phase III Restrictions

This issue has been touched upon a little but I asked for and received more info from the Regulatory folks at the water conservancy district that covers Sumter County (most of The Villages). A couple of days ago my lawn care company visited to check my irrigation system since the grass is starting to look a bit over-stressed. The technician said it was working fine but he on his own volition changed the Hunter Controller to irrigate twice per week. I said no that can't happen since we are under a Modified Phase III restriction now which limits us to only once per week. The technician said not to worry about that, every one irrigates at least a couple of times a week and anyway it's my lawn, not the water conservancy people's lawn. Well, I told him to set it back to the legal restriction settings. Does anyone else remember the television show in the late 50s that usually ended with Mom saying to the kid, "Two wrongs don't make a right"? I wrote to the water conservancy to find out what the results would be if I were caught violating the restrictions. Here is the email I just received today (July 17).

"If the irrigation company is adjusting the systems to water on the wrong day and/or time, it would ultimately be the responsibility of the homeowner to have the system readjusted or risk a fine of up to $500 (for each occurrence). If the technician caused the fine, by adjusting the system to water incorrectly, then the technician or the technician’s company may be responsible in a civil proceeding. If you would like to provide us with the company name and address, we are willing to send a letter, letting them know that they causing their customers to risk a fine by adjusting their irrigation systems incorrectly. If you should have any additional questions or concerns, please reply to this email or call us at 1-800-848-0499."

I know a lot of TOTV people will blow this off as "It is my lawn and it costs a lot more than $500 to replace the grass." I won't argue with that but I'll bet if you get caught once, you will be reinspected often again. Just saying. . .
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Sage

Thanks for the info BUT, I have a problem with them putting my lawn at risk while at the same time allowing continuing new construction. New construction means additional potable water hookups, new landscaping needing daily watering to survive, and new golf courses needing millions of gallons every day. This does not even consider the 3,500 unit apartment complex being built at the intersection of powell rd. and 466a. If the water supply is critical enough to jeopardize my investment, stop the new construction NOW.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know there's a restriction but here's a question? If you water at night who's going to check? And if a water 1 day for a total of 2 hours or twice a week for a total of 2 hours, what's the difference?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Water restrictions

Wonder if drilling a well would be worth while.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Wonder if drilling a well would be worth while.
No can do - wording specific to "no wells" is in the deed restrictions.

Bill
Old 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM

I hear you both and can't / won't argue the merits of the restrictions. And who will know if you are watering if you do it at night (which almost everyone does)? Beats me but anyone can report a violation - even anonymously. I'm just saying at $500 a pop everyone needs to make their own decision. If we're lucky the current watering restriction will be allowed to expire the end of this month, or at least it will be lowered to a less restrictive level as it was previously and we can at least go back to twice a week just like those in Lake County can already do.

Oops! Thanks jblum315. Yes, I meant twice a week not twice a day.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty6971 View Post
I hear you both and can't / won't argue the merits of the restrictions. And who will know if you are watering if you do it at night (which almost everyone does)? Beats me but anyone can report a violation - even anonymously. I'm just saying at $500 a pop everyone needs to make their own decision. If we're lucky the current watering restriction will be allowed to expire the end of this month, or at least it will be lowered to a less restrictive level as it was previously and we can at least go back to twice a day just like those in Lake County can already do.
You meant to say twice a week, didn't you?
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Has anyone reading this forum heard of anyone having to pay the five hundred bucks?

I have heard of people saying they got a warning. If we didn't restrict ourselves somewhat, than it would be bad for all of us.

You can water stuff with your hose at anytime. Most of the yards are small enough to keep things from dying if you would sprinkle them with your hose.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Sage

A few operative words I see.

risk a fine of up to $500

Risk means it may or may not occur.

Up to can mean a dollar > $500

My guess is a repeat offender may get fine higher than a first timer.

Also you have a chance to pled your case and argue many issues.

Water your lawn IMO.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Gold member

Two words: Soaker hoses
Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Two words: Soaker hoses
one word: invisible
Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Thanks for the info BUT, I have a problem with them putting my lawn at risk while at the same time allowing continuing new construction. New construction means additional potable water hookups, new landscaping needing daily watering to survive, and new golf courses needing millions of gallons every day. This does not even consider the 3,500 unit apartment complex being built at the intersection of powell rd. and 466a. If the water supply is critical enough to jeopardize my investment, stop the new construction NOW.
EXCELLENT post...and, really, it doesn't get truer than this!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
EXCELLENT post...and, really, it doesn't get truer than this!
Stopping the new construction wouldn't be good for the people who work on the houses and for us in general. It adds value to all of our homes as long as the construction continues. We wouldn't want to wish to live in a place where things just dried up, literally and figuratively.

At least that is how it looks to me. The ban on watering, by the way is a state wide situation and we are in the St. Johns River water management district .http://www.sjrwmd.com/ So it is a situation that is not just limited here in TV.

PLUS...let us be realistic. Drive around TV, nothing is dying. It rains practically every day in the summer.

Don't I remember a post from you saying the developers were "hypocrites" when the sprinklers were running during the heavy rain of tropical storm Debby to keep down the danger of flooding? It takes a while living here, at least a year, to see that everything is pretty much run alright. Maybe a lot better than alright.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 PM

A response to the statement, who is going to catch you if you water at night?

Just saying: I've seen white vcdd pickup trucks driving through the 'hood here in St James well after midnight, on more than one occasion.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran member

Has anyone else noticed while driving around you see sprinklers running at all times during the day. Several even at 3 & 4 in the afternoon. Late afternoon and evening hours will likely cause a fungus in your yard, if done regularly During the day- watering, lot of the water will evaporate. The inspector for my house set the timer for 1am. He said at that time setting i shouldn't have a fungus problem. The sun will dry the grass early morning. I'm talking about residential yards.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.