Results of ignoring Modified Phase III Restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Villages should set the example, homes built before ours next door and on this street water the lawns daily with water running down the curb into the storm drains from over watering. Anything goes until you buy it and then you are restricted.
They are establishing a lawn.

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-23-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A few weeks ago they closed some golf courses so that they could run the irrigation systems because the ponds were getting too full. If that's the case, why do we still have watering restrictions?

Why don't they allow the ponds to get higher then they do? Why is it that I see one pond up beyond the tree line and another one almost dry?

Just some questions that I've been pondering for several weeks now.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Sage

"ponds" or retention areas actually have nothing to do with the water sources, except rainwater runoff. It is actually water that is prevented from draining down into the aquifer because the "ponds have a plastic liner. Water levels vary quite a bit because TV has the ability to move water to where it is needed through the storm drain system. The restrictions are put in place by the Southwest Florida Water Management District, based on lack of rainfall in the southwestern part of the state.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
A few weeks ago they closed some golf courses so that they could run the irrigation systems because the ponds were getting too full. If that's the case, why do we still have watering restrictions? Our water doesn't come from the ponds.Why don't they allow the ponds to get higher then they do? They would overrun their banks and cause flooding and washouts[/COLOR].Why is it that I see one pond up beyond the tree line and another one almost dry?Water is moved from one to the other as needed.Just some questions that I've been pondering for several weeks now.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

If you are lucky to live in the St. Johns River Water District you can legally water 2 days a week. That is Lake County. If I were Tiger Woods, I could hit a golf ball from my yard into Lake County. Well almost----but you get the point. We are all pulling water out of the exact same Aquifer.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sumter County, FL - Official Website - Watering Restrictions
Old 07-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
"ponds" or retention areas actually have nothing to do with the water sources, except rainwater runoff. It is actually water that is prevented from draining down into the aquifer because the "ponds have a plastic liner. Water levels vary quite a bit because TV has the ability to move water to where it is needed through the storm drain system. The restrictions are put in place by the Southwest Florida Water Management District, based on lack of rainfall in the southwestern part of the state.
Additionally, if they allow the water in the retention ponds to get too high, there is a risk of water getting under the liner and undermining the ground underneath and damaging the liner, leading to loss of all the water in the pond.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Thanks for the info BUT, I have a problem with them putting my lawn at risk while at the same time allowing continuing new construction. New construction means additional potable water hookups, new landscaping needing daily watering to survive, and new golf courses needing millions of gallons every day. This does not even consider the 3,500 unit apartment complex being built at the intersection of powell rd. and 466a. If the water supply is critical enough to jeopardize my investment, stop the new construction NOW.
Agree! AS they pour the water on the dirt, roads new homes design centers and golf courses.

How can their be a restriction when all this new constructions is being allowed?

Then we have the ponds full and they pump em dry for sink hole protection.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

They don't have to see u watering ur lawn at 3:00AM to cite u. All they have to do is measure ur usage for the month, look at ur lot size and they can figure out how much u r using. If they want to enforce the ban, it is an easy task for them without even leaving their office.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
They don't have to see u watering ur lawn at 3:00AM to cite u. All they have to do is measure ur usage for the month, look at ur lot size and they can figure out how much u r using. If they want to enforce the ban, it is an easy task for them without even leaving their office.
that's how you get the bad letter that says you are using too much water
Old 07-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
It's not that cut and dry. The only thing the water company knows is what your usage is. Excess usage could simply be a broken sprinkler head or a leaking pipe. Believe me when I say the the water company employees aren't that smart.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
It's not that cut and dry. The only thing the water company knows is what your usage is. Excess usage could simply be a broken sprinkler head or a leaking pipe. Believe me when I say the the water company employees aren't that smart.
What is your opinion of the intelligence of golf course workers, restaurant servers, the mail station employess..............................
Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What is your opinion of the intelligence of golf course workers, restaurant servers, the mail station employess..............................
All I meant was that no one in the water company is going to take the time to try and figure out what your usage should be based solely on your lot size nor do they have a magic formula that they use, they can guess but there are too many variables like leaks and broken heads. I didn't say they were stupid. I don't appreciate your comment which I would take to mean that according to you, I think everyone is stupid. Nice try but I ain't biting so go fishing someplace else if you're trying to make trouble.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
All I meant was that no one in the water company is going to take the time to try and figure out what your usage should be based solely on your lot size nor do they have a magic formula that they use, they can guess but there are too many variables like leaks and broken heads. I didn't say they were stupid. I don't appreciate your comment which I would take to mean that according to you, I think everyone is stupid. Nice try but I ain't biting so go fishing someplace else if you're trying to make trouble.

We can only go by what you TYPE Joe, not what you think you meant. You actually typed that "Believe me when I say the the water company employees aren't that smart"

So please don't berate others who may question what you meant.

My 2 c.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
I was not fishing. Calling folks at the water dept not very smart was not necessary. Saying things like that on TOTV and trouble will come to you.
And I did not appreciate your comment.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.