Ryobi 20 in battery self propelled II

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2022, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janicepyatt View Post
I have been researching battery mowers.

The new Milwaukee battery powered mower is apparently super powerful, good enough for commercial..but will cost you quite a bit more than "a couple bucks a month". Have also seen the E Go mower is good (not as powerful as M) for residential yards and costs less than the Milwaukee.

I'm currently using a 13 year old Honda and thinking another year might result in more advancements in battery powered mowers. Plus, my Honda is running like a champ!
Keep the Honda, my 30 year old Honda mower is still running like a champ.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I’ve been saying all along battery operating equipment isn’t the way to go. I bet that battery operating mower wasn’t cheap either wait until 2023 when farmers will be forced to buy electric farm equipment to buy a $900,000. Combine, to get a charge out in the middle of the field. John Deere are working on it now. Once they which over to electric they’ll be no going back! Well I’m sure your mower is under warranty, take it back!
Old 04-16-2022, 10:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
Sell your mower, hire someone to cut the lawn for you for a couple of bucks a month. When the humidity and heat comes more frequently you be glad you did.
Woah! PLEASE give me a reference for ANYONE that will mow (and not kill) my grass for a COUPLE DOLLARS a month. We paid $90 to $120 per month for two years and got crap service. I then mowed the lawn for a few months, using a perfectly good DeWalt Electric Mower, until we found a private individual who does an excellent job and charges us $45/mth (we give him a significant tip to bring it up to something higher).

If you know someone that will mow my lawn for $2/mth - and do a good job, I will definitely pay a finders fee.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I’ve been saying all along battery operating equipment isn’t the way to go. I bet that battery operating mower wasn’t cheap either wait until 2023 when farmers will be forced to buy electric farm equipment to buy a $900,000. Combine, to get a charge out in the middle of the field. John Deere are working on it now. Once they which over to electric they’ll be no going back! Well I’m sure your mower is under warranty, take it back!
Here is that word "FORCED" again... sigh. Please instead of using code, tell us how some one is being FORCED to buy things?

And I use all DeWalt electric tools (sanders, routers, drills, mower, steering edger, etc etc etc.) So that I have a set of batteries that work on all of them. And they are PERFECT. Stunningly good and better than my previous gas equivalent. When I had 11 acres to mow, I never considered an electric, but now with a postage stamp.

Maybe you are right, maybe I should buy a enclosed air-conditioned, Chrome plated V8 powered zero turn riding mower with a built in home theater entertainment system, refrigerator and glass pack exhaust system. Then me, and my neighbors have have drag races to see who can mow their lawn the fastest in the most comfort - I expect around 3 seconds will be attainable.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I guess I see so many arguments telling everyone that uses electric anything how wrong they are. It has progressed to just being funny.

Kind of like getting a chuckle when I see a Ferrari standing in Traffic on the I5 in LA.
Old 04-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Best suggestion would be to return it and get a gas mower.
Electric lawnmowers rock.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
Sell your mower, hire someone to cut the lawn for you for a couple of bucks a month. When the humidity and heat comes more frequently you be glad you did.
The lots are small and we have many retired residents that should have enough time to mow their own lawns. Electric push mowers are ideal for getting some exercise. They are nice and QUIET and start instantly every time. You can pick cool times in the morning or late evening if you are worried about the sun and too much heat.
You can decrease the area of grass to be cut by making a rock garden or rock circles around trees - showing increased creativity and uniqueness. Make sure to get "mommy-may-I" permission to do this.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwonone View Post
Google the problem and there is an issue with the Ryobi. Take it back for credit and purchase a better proven brand. Ryobi is known for small cordless tools not lawnmowers.
I have had good luck with KOBALT mowers.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
DC electric motors have high torque capability and other advantages over gas engines. Such as not having pistons flopping back and forth. And the creepy cheap diaphragm carburetor on gas lawnmowers is a design waiting to fail. Not sure if they use injectors now, but those could gum up. Honda makes quality equipment. But, the future is electric and many consumers are slow to respond to any changes.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
But, the future is electric and many consumers are slow to respond to any changes.
Can I assume you Mastered in Understatement at College?
Old 04-16-2022, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Here is that word "FORCED" again... sigh. Please instead of using code, tell us how some one is being FORCED to buy things?

And I use all DeWalt electric tools (sanders, routers, drills, mower, steering edger, etc etc etc.) So that I have a set of batteries that work on all of them. And they are PERFECT. Stunningly good and better than my previous gas equivalent. When I had 11 acres to mow, I never considered an electric, but now with a postage stamp.

Maybe you are right, maybe I should buy a enclosed air-conditioned, Chrome plated V8 powered zero turn riding mower with a built in home theater entertainment system, refrigerator and glass pack exhaust system. Then me, and my neighbors have have drag races to see who can mow their lawn the fastest in the most comfort - I expect around 3 seconds will be attainable.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I guess I see so many arguments telling everyone that uses electric anything how wrong they are. It has progressed to just being funny.

Kind of like getting a chuckle when I see a Ferrari standing in Traffic on the I5 in LA.
DeWalt makes quality battery-powered equipment. I liked the sarcasm. And we DO have postage size yards. I would cut a 1-acre yard up north with a push-type early battery-powered lawnmower, no problem because I was 10 years younger then. So, it was just a fun exercise for me then. And I saved a lot of money using electricity rather than gas. Today, gas prices are much higher and could go up....way up....with world problems.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Can I assume you Mastered in Understatement at College?
Yes, I took a class in Mild Sarcasm. It changed my life......many pretty and witty co-eds loved that class.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
DC electric motors have high torque capability and other advantages over gas engines. Such as not having pistons flopping back and forth. And the creepy cheap diaphragm carburetor on gas lawnmowers is a design waiting to fail. Not sure if they use injectors now, but those could gum up. Honda makes quality equipment. But, the future is electric and many consumers are slow to respond to any changes.
Quote:
DeWalt makes quality battery-powered equipment. I liked the sarcasm. And we DO have postage size yards. I would cut a 1-acre yard up north with a push-type early battery-powered lawnmower, no problem because I was 10 years younger then. So, it was just a fun exercise for me then. And I saved a lot of money using electricity rather than gas. Today, gas prices are much higher and could go up....way up....with world problems.
Understand. On my 10 acres in N. Florida I only mowed the road easement along two sides. I measured it one and that was a 5 mile walk almost every week in in the summer (back and forth over and over 20 times for 1/4 mile).

Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now...
Old 04-16-2022, 03:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Keep the Honda, my 30 year old Honda mower is still running like a champ.
Wait! Are you sure you don’t want a battery operated mower that when something goes wrong with it no one in this state (and it’s a great state) knows how to fix it. Toro gas mower here. Stihl trimmer, edger and blower.
Old 04-16-2022, 03:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Electric lawnmowers rock.
Me thinks you spelled suck wrong
Old 04-16-2022, 07:40 PM

I love my Ryobi 40V dual blade mower. Quiet, ease to operate and easy to store. I use it up north, not in FL.

The only issue that I have ever had is that one of the two 6amp batteries that came with the mower had one of the LEDs not lighting when fully charged. I don't know if it was just a bad LED bulb or one set of cells not charging and, therefore, lighting the light. Ryobi sent me a replacement 6amp battery and told me to keep the defective one as a spare.

I have a number of Ryobi tools for a several years and they've all worked great, too. Batteries have been interchangeable for generations of their tools, unlike some other brands that have occasionally changed battery mount style.

YMMV
Closed Thread

Tags
time, waste, mow, customer, serviced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.