Sable Palm Trees Wilting (TPPD suspected)

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Default Sable Palm Trees Wilting (TPPD suspected)

Three of my five Sabal palm appear to be wilting. I haven't noticed any discoloration but the leaves on the lower, older fronds droop and hang straight down. There are two healthy trees in the same plot and I can pretty well rule out watering and fertilizing issues.

I fear they are infected with Texas Phoenix Palm Decline disease. This is a bacteria, spread by insects, that infects Sable palms and eventually kills them. There is no practical cure. Has anyone else noticed a similar condition with their Sables?

Last edited by TomW; 05-09-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:48 PM

Haven't seen it hit sables around here yet, but I know sables are commonly infected. I have seen a couple sylvesters and several washingtonias I am fairly certain died from TPPDD last year in TV. Funny the map of FL TPPDD infestations still doesn't show any cases in this area.. maybe it needs updating.. or it wasn't TPPDD.. or no one reported the cases. Maybe they didn't know?

Could be lethal yellowing or "bud beetles". Tell tale of TPPDD is bloom sprouts dying early without seeding. The inoculation isn't all that expensive and will stop the disease. Trees that are treated quarterly can still become infected, but will never show symptoms or die from it.

I'm on the fence as to providing an inoculation service and trying to educate folks in this area as to the probable recent infestations and increased spreading of TPPDD in TV and how they can keep their palms safe, or waiting...and watching. Already bought the tools to do it so I could inoculate mine and my friends trees if I see any increase in the palms dying around TV.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 PM

According to the UF site inoculation is estimated to cost about $200 per application with 4 applications suggested per year. That is out of range for me and my yard trees. I have five of them in my yard and will just remove them if, in fact, I can verify TPPD is present.

I'm not convinced 100% it is TPPD but no other 'crown collapse' type disease has as many listed symptoms as do my trees. I also noticed the same thing in 2-3 trees just south of 466a.

I would say it is inconclusive at this point but very probable. I'll have to figure out a way to verify what is going on and plan to see if I can get an expert to look at them. The trees have been in the ground about 18 months at my location but the symptoms appeared only 60 days ago.

If I get any definitive useful information, I will post it here.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:26 AM

The cost is around 5 bucks per, if you buy the med and have the equipment. If people are charging 200 a shot, I am officially off the fence and in the business. Felt a bit greedy thinking I would charge 20 bucks per inoculation.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 AM

Sad that the county , or the UF MG program has yet to address this and provide an affordable prevention service. A nice chunk of Florida's economy is dependent on TV's palm market. So much for the appearance of benevolence.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Here is a link from Florida Extension that describes the disease. Looks like it may also affect Queen and Robellini palms, as well as the sable, Washingtonias, and sylvesters.
PP243/PP163: Texas Phoenix Palm Decline
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 PM
Gold member

Serious stuff.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Here is a link from Florida Extension that describes the disease. Looks like it may also affect Queen and Robellini palms, as well as the sable, Washingtonias, and sylvesters.
PP243/PP163: Texas Phoenix Palm Decline
Last I knew, they said it likely COULD affect queens, but had no known cases.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage

Tom, lower older fronds on a sable naturally droop and turn brown. It is called a "skirt" and can be left in its beauty or trimmed, at no higher than 90 degrees to the ground.
I would photo and send to master gardeners or Jim Davis.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:10 AM

He has 5 sable palms and has done plenty of investigation on his own. This guy did not start this thread over the natural "skirt" of older fronds.

He needs physical testing of the trees, even the immortal Dr. Jim... oh wait, does he have his doctorate? Even the great Jim D can't tell the difference between lethal yellowing and TPPDD.... from a photo.

This horrible disease is too destructive and been allowed to kill trees in TV for the last year under the radar. Get a palm expert out there, get the trees tested and maybe get TV on the road towards stopping this from wiping out our palms and freezing the palm sales in all the TV due to the on coming quarantine like there is in what... 4 counties now?

Not something for the MGs to talk on the phone and have meetings over. This is a HUGE PROBLEM IN MULTIPLE STATES Locate it, remove dead trees, and inoculate the ones worth saving. Time for the talk show is over TPPDD is in TV, own up to it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Last I knew, they said it likely COULD affect queens, but had no known cases.
For what its worth, the article said it had been confirmed in a few queen palms. It does sound like the main culprit is going to be the sable palms. Part of the problem is that its difficult to diagnose, and people may have diseased trees and don't even know it, which may hasten the spread of it.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:55 PM

You can save a palm with early diagnosis, (when it is only affecting the bloom sprouts) if you begin inoculations. The disease is pretty quick though, so if they don't know today, they will in a month.

Sables are high on the list, sylvesters and washingtonias as well.

Would like some feedback from you Sylvester owners out there... would you spend 80 dollars a year to insure your palm?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=TomW;1057723]Three of my five Sabal palm appear to be wilting. I haven't noticed any discoloration but the leaves on the lower, older fronds droop and hang straight down. There are two healthy trees in the same plot and I can pretty well rule out watering and fertilizing issues.

I fear they are infected with Texas Phoenix Palm Decline disease. This is a bacteria, spread by insects, that infects Sable palms and eventually kills them. There is no practical cure. Has anyone else noticed a similar condition with their Sables?[/QUOTE

Please allow experts to advise you and not take advice without researching by getting best advice from a certified arborist.
Here is a photo from UF Ifas of a sable with the texas disease. Healthy sables are all along Morse between sumter and 466a. Would like for personal interest to see several photos of your palms you describe as having wilting and browning, which on a skirt is normal.
If we have the problem, we should know, and if not, we should not panic.

Would you like to have the UF site for cerified arborists?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	51291  

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 05-11-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Sage

http://youtu.be/cAL19Dz11rI

What is a normal wilt and brown for sable skirts...UF endorsed reearch.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Thank you Kitty for the photos. My trees are all still green with the center 'stalks' upright or fanning out normally. But, the leaves attached to the central stalks are limp and they hang straight down. There is no 'beard' so to speak; just limp leaves drooping from the central stalk on maybe half or two thirds of the lower stalks.

I agree with another poster that this is serious stuff. If my trees have this disease, I will need to remove them and eat the considerable expense. I have a general plan in mind involving consulting state, county and local arborist resources and see who is available to help me determine the extent of the problem. I fear my trees are beyond Ozzello's ministrations of inoculation but if you see droopy leaves on sabals in your neighborhood, I would probably spend a few bucks to inoculate healthy trees. It would be cheap insurance until we know what is going on for sure.

Again, I don't know for sure my trees are infected with TPPD but they sure have many of the symptoms.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.