Say no to Round up ready sod , PLEASE?

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2022, 07:01 AM
Default Say no to Round up ready sod , PLEASE?

Seems to be a trend towards this new Round Up ready GMO ST Augustine. THIS I DO NOT ENDORSE!! I hope TV is giving a choice in the new homes to use non-GMO varieties, but I doubt it. If you follow the money, I am sure there is a LOT of money behind this new variety.

I sadly await the future of Mother Nature ( and our ground water, ponds and lakes) where all these lawn spraying companies convince tens of thousands of people to pay them to spray unchecked amounts of herbicide on their lawns..
Old 10-04-2022, 08:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,979 Times in 758 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, most of your fellow villagers will have no idea of GMO or non-GMO science/technology Doesn't seem to be a strong point here
Old 10-04-2022, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I just say no to Round Up and use Vinegar and Salt. Works perfectly - when I do it. I need to be more consistent in the application
Old 10-04-2022, 01:39 PM

Vinegar /salt mixture is not good near plants, as it is a root uptake. It will kill plants you spray near as well as the weeds. Round up is foliar uptake.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Gold member

What exactly is wrong with it? What's your CV?
glyphosate-tolerant StAug is an amazing creation.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
What exactly is wrong with it? What's your CV?
glyphosate-tolerant StAug is an amazing creation.
The Villages had been planting ProVista at least three years now. Slower growth, needs less water and chemicals than previous turf. And there are herbicides that can safely control it.

Last edited by Altavia; 10-04-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Vinegar /salt mixture is not good near plants, as it is a root uptake. It will kill plants you spray near as well as the weeds. Round up is foliar uptake.
I can find NOTHING to support the claim that the salt/vinegar mixture is root uptake, but a lot shows it is leaf intake. "Yes, if you use large amounts of salt, it can damage nearby plants. I would not recommend using LARGE amounts. In 3 years of using small misting spray on weeds, I have had no damage to nearby plants.

I have no idea if Roundup is safe. I am not a scientist. But, Monsanto recently agreed to pay an $11B lawsuit to make it go away. So far as I know, no one has sued either salt or vinegar companies, and most sources recommend it on salads.

Each to their own. I am NOT saying anyone that wants to use it should stop. I am saying I will stick with my solution.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,448 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I can find NOTHING to support the claim that the salt/vinegar mixture is root uptake, but a lot shows it is leaf intake. "Yes, if you use large amounts of salt, it can damage nearby plants. I would not recommend using LARGE amounts. In 3 years of using small misting spray on weeds, I have had no damage to nearby plants.

I have no idea if Roundup is safe. I am not a scientist. But, Monsanto recently agreed to pay an $11B lawsuit to make it go away. So far as I know, no one has sued either salt or vinegar companies, and most sources recommend it on salads.

Each to their own. I am NOT saying anyone that wants to use it should stop. I am saying I will stick with my solution.
Did you log into the wrong account? lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-05-2022, 05:50 AM

Damage From Too Much Salt in Soil
Salt hurts your plants by damaging their roots, and thus limiting their ability to absorb the nutrients they need. This is more likely to occur when the soil is moist. Damaged soil must be removed as the impact is long term.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:24 AM

I kind of think that someone wrongly believes provista round up ready has round up in it. It doesn't. has nothing to do with that. it is a great grass which is so much better on the environment as it needs less cutting and less water. Like all grass you have to keep on top of the chinchibugs and other insects that eat sod
Old 10-05-2022, 06:50 AM

Disagree. I use Round Up as it’s intended to be used.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:46 AM

St Augustine looks like weeds.
Old 10-05-2022, 07:55 AM
Gold member

Is there a Pro Vista sod farm in the area?
Looking to resod some areas DIY.
Just because it's glyphosate-tolerant, doesn't mean you have to use round-up on it.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:13 AM

Bayer finally hired a good lawyer and is winning their Roundup cases. From the WSJ: Annmarie Fertoli: Bayer, the maker of the world's most widely used weed killer Roundup, has been fighting tens of thousands of lawsuits alleging that the product causes cancer. And up until recently, juries agreed. The German company lost three trials between 2018 and 2019. The first loss came shortly after Bayer acquired Roundup through its $63 billion acquisition of agriculture giant Monsanto. But now, things seem to be taking a turn. Bayer has recently won five consecutive trials. The company has long maintained that its product is safe and has cited regulatory reviews that determined it does not pose a cancer risk, but it still has tens of thousands of lawsuits pending. So what's behind the turnaround in verdicts? And what does it mean for pending cases? I'm Annmarie Fertoli from the Wall Street Journal. And joining me now with more on this is Wall Street Journal Agriculture Business Reporter Patrick Thomas. Hi Patrick, thanks for being here.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Is there a Pro Vista sod farm in the area?
Looking to resod some areas DIY.
Just because it's glyphosate-tolerant, doesn't mean you have to use round-up on it.
True, but the concern is my neighbor(s) might.

With "regular" grass you have to be careful using Roundup since it will kill the grass. Roundup is still used, but it is used sparingly. When the grass is glyphosate-tolerant there will be less concern about overuse of Roundup. If my neighbor's application stays on their property - great. However, if they spray heavily since it won't hurt their grass then the overspray may wind up on my property where it WILL hurt my grass (and other plants).

Someone who used to live near a farm told me about his experience catching overspray from the farmer who had glyphosate-tolerant crops.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
money, ready, round, lakes, ponds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.